Question for Rick/Risk

  • Steve McBride
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 7, 2003
      Having completed two Speer's hammocks with the modifications of a double bottom and ridgeless bugnet, one of 1.1 oz. nylon and one of 1.9 oz. nylon, I am now making one for my brother. My previous two were made at 50" wide, but my brother is significantly bigger than me. I plan to make one 60" wide, as in the original Speer's plan. Do I need to taper the netting differently given the wider width (more or less than the 10" Rick describes) to still obtain a sufficient ridge?

      Any thoughts,

      Steve M
    • Risk
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 7, 2003
        Steve,

        I made one of two layers of 1.9 oz and 60 inches wide. It holds all
        380 pounds of Diane and I. If weight is more like 200 lb, then two
        layers of 1.1 oz is plenty. The shape of the bug net need not change.
        The only difference is that the sleeper will sleep deeper in the
        hammock. If weight is somewhere inbetween, then one layer of 1.9 and
        one of 1.1 should work fine.

        Hey! How does the design work? Having made two of them you may like
        them?

        I just added a new picture to the page today. It shows my latest 1.1
        oz double bottom.

        See: http://www.flyfisher-kayaks.com/ultralite/ultraquarterweight.htm

        Rick