Insulator Bag (part deux)

  • Ray Garlington
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 7, 2003
      As you may know, the insulation for the first generation Garlington
      Insulator was a bag of air. This progressed to a bag of air with a
      folded space blanket. I've decided to try a "bag of feathers" as the
      next step.

      I'm thinking a 2'x4' nylon bag filled with 6 ounces of 800 fill power
      down can be made for about $60 and should insulate down to 0F. The
      weight of the bag of feathers should be about 8-10 ounces.

      Comments?

      (I'll hint at my first, hesitant steps in constructing such a bag:
      Last night I attempted to cut up an old, down, GI mummy bag....

      It is amazing how down lofts to fill the space available. I'm glad my
      wife wasn't home at the time.)
    • Robert Logue
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 7, 2003
        <rgarling@y...> wrote:
        > Last night I attempted to cut up an old, down, GI mummy bag....
        > It is amazing how down lofts to fill the space available. I'm glad
        my
        > wife wasn't home at the time.)

        If you wet the down first, it's a lot easier to handle, whether
        you're cutting up an old bag or building a new one. Try it when
        building your new insulation bag and then throw it in the clothes
        dryer to dry out. -Bob.
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 7, 2003
          Bob,

          I haven't worked with down but had the impression that it was
          important to measure the amount of down used in each baffle. How do
          you measure out the down this way?

          BTW, I remember the presentation that you did at the REI in Atlanta
          several years ago regarding your AT thru-hike. I also enjoyed seeing
          some of the same photos on Maptechs Appalachian Trail CD's.

          Youngblood
          GAME 2000

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Logue"
          <robertlogue@y...> wrote:
          > If you wet the down first, it's a lot easier to handle, whether
          > you're cutting up an old bag or building a new one. Try it when
          > building your new insulation bag and then throw it in the clothes
          > dryer to dry out. -Bob.
        • Robert Logue
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 7, 2003
            > Bob,
            >
            > I haven't worked with down but had the impression that it was
            > important to measure the amount of down used in each baffle. How
            do
            > you measure out the down this way?
            ----------------------
            - It depends on how exact you wish to be. I take the view that it's
            not rocket science, so I just eyeball it. You could weigh it dry in
            the bags it comes in before wetting it. -Bob.

            > BTW, I remember the presentation that you did at the REI in Atlanta
            > several years ago regarding your AT thru-hike. I also enjoyed
            seeing
            > some of the same photos on Maptechs Appalachian Trail CD's.
            Sorry, that wasn't me. -Bob.
          • hdnat
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 25, 2003
              I think you are remembering Frank Logue. He and his wife have
              authored a number of hiking books, and have through hiked.

              dn