RE: Hammock Camping rain/tarp replacement

  • Shane
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 7, 2003
      > Those of you who have replaced your HH tarps, what did you use
      > for a replacement? Marsanne

      A 10x10. It provides many pitching opportunities.

      Shane
    • Mark Bayern
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 7, 2003
        firefly wrote:
        > I think the HH tarp is a design error. It looks cool, but is just too
        > skimpy in the rain.

        Is it? So far the tarp on my HH protects the hammock quite well.

        What I would like is more space for living outside the hammock, under
        the tarp.

        Maybe its a definition thing, but I don't see the HH tarp as a design
        error. Of course a hammock system that is billed as the "Ultra-Lite
        Backpacker" would have a minimal tarp. That helps to make it ultra-lite.

        Mark
      • colonelcorn76
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 8, 2003
          > Ray, I assume you're talking about HH? I have the Explorer A-Sym
          Ultralight.
          > I have been in a calm, early morning rain storm with it before and
          loved it.
          > Slept like a baby. (This was in the yard of my parents house and
          Mom was
          > looking nervously out the window worrying I was getting wet.) This
          was what
          > my folks like to call "a farmer's rain"--steady, not a storm, but
          not a
          > sprinkle, either. However, I was camping in DW in some very high
          winds--no
          > rain, and I was wondering if those cords that came with the tarp
          are strong
          > enough to sustain the kinds of winds you can get in places like
          the Sierras.
          > Or should I invest in some Triptease instead? MARSANNE

          I have the HH Ultralight Backpacker & my son has the Explorer. I
          replaced the lines on the fly with a combination of the Goller
          Grabber and Triptease. The Triptease really helps at night 'cause
          those lines go invisible in a hury.

          Jerry's Goller gave me a tip on using the elastic tubing from a
          Wrist Rocket slingshot to create a self-tensioning fly. I attached
          the surgical rubber tubing from a Wrist Rocket's replacement tubing
          to the two rings on the fly. Then I slid a 1/4" nylon spacer to
          which I've attached the Triptease into the end of the tubing. When I
          hang the hammock I stake it out with the rubber tubing nearly fully
          extended. Then as the nylon stretches, the rubber contracts and
          keeps the thing taut throughout the night & any rain. Not gotten wet
          since I made the mod.

          Jim
        • o123david
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 17, 2003
            >I'm considering a Hennessey Explorer Deluxe A-Sym... but one thing I
            >can't understand is how the... underside of the hammock wouldn't get
            >soaked in the rain?
            >what happens in rain being blown by gusts every which way in a
            >storm? Sesa

            I've stayed dry in strong wind and rain.
            The underside of the hammock works the same way the old canvas tents
            used to work. All you have to do is keep the material tight and avoid
            pressing hard against any one point.
            Your weight keeps the material tight. The pad you are sleeping on
            lets you avoid putting too much pressure on any one point on the
            bottom. And you have to avoid pressing hard on any one area along the
            sides.
            Even the tiny diamond-shaped tarp on the original hennessy was large
            enough to block the rain from above. I woke the next morning with my
            down bag totally dry. --David
          • dshuby
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 19, 2003
              -- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "colonelcorn76"
              > Jerry's Goller gave me a tip on using the elastic tubing from a
              > Wrist Rocket slingshot to create a self-tensioning fly. I attached
              > the surgical rubber tubing from a Wrist Rocket's replacement tubing
              > to the two rings on the fly. Then I slid a 1/4" nylon spacer to
              > which I've attached the Triptease into the end of the tubing. When I
              > hang the hammock I stake it out with the rubber tubing nearly fully
              > extended. Then as the nylon stretches, the rubber contracts and
              > keeps the thing taut throughout the night & any rain. Not gotten wet
              > since I made the mod.

              Jim - I think I got what you are saying. I remember when Jerry talked
              about this quite some time ago (BPL or BGT?!?), but I didn't have a
              hammock then so I wasn't paying attention. ;) If I have it right, you
              are taking rubber tubing and tying it off to each of the rings on the
              sides of the HH fly. I am missing what you mean by the use of the
              nylon spacer. I can then understand how the fly line (either the stock
              2mm line or Triptease which is what I will replace the stock line with
              when my test series is done) would just be tied off to the rubber
              tubing and then staked as normal. This would allow the rubber tubing
              to contract and keep the fly tensioned over time.

              You could also do something similar by using one line for the hammock
              body guy and the fly guy. I have been using the elastic line and tying
              it off to the fly, then staking it out in the middle and allowing it
              to self-tension. This could work as well if the two lines were
              connected in some way by rubber tubing and the strain on the lines was
              roughly equal. Jerry's method allows a bit more adjustment on the fly
              than what I have been using even though I have used this setup with a
              trekking pole to adjust the height.

              Gracias -
              Dennis
            • colonelcorn76
              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 20, 2003
                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "dshuby" <shubitow@c...>
                wrote:
                > Jim - I think I got what you are saying. I remember when Jerry
                talked
                > about this quite some time ago (BPL or BGT?!?), but I didn't have a
                > hammock then so I wasn't paying attention. ;) If I have it right,
                you
                > are taking rubber tubing and tying it off to each of the rings on
                the
                > sides of the HH fly. I am missing what you mean by the use of the
                > nylon spacer. I can then understand how the fly line (either the
                stock
                > 2mm line or Triptease which is what I will replace the stock line
                with
                > when my test series is done) would just be tied off to the rubber
                > tubing and then staked as normal. This would allow the rubber
                tubing
                > to contract and keep the fly tensioned over time.

                I included some more detailed directions in a reply to Marsanne's
                question. The spacer replaces the need to "tie" the cord to the
                rubber tubing. The knot might work loose or untie, whereas using a
                spacer slipped into the tubing won't budge. I use cord on my
                Ultralight Backpacker but TripTease on my son's Explorer.

                > You could also do something similar by using one line for the
                hammock
                > body guy and the fly guy. I have been using the elastic line and
                tying
                > it off to the fly, then staking it out in the middle and allowing
                it
                > to self-tension.

                Yeah, I did this originally but it limits somewhat the staking/tie-
                out options you have. I also can't use my "pull the fly out in my
                sleep" trick (I just posted that in another reply above).

                >Jerry's method allows a bit more adjustment on the fly
                > than what I have been using even though I have used this setup
                with a
                > trekking pole to adjust the height.

                Precisely why I use it. Elegant solution that keeps maximum options
                open at minimal extra weight.

                Jim