Re: Pack Hanging Methods

  • Bror8588@AOL.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 7, 2003
      In a message dated 8/7/03 10:51:30 AM Eastern Daylight Time, info@... writes:

      But I hike with a small umbrella (instead of a rain jacket) and occasionally tie it to a hammock strap at the end of the tarp as a door or position it to add another 1.5' or so of roof (now my pack hanging from the end of the hammock stays dry too)....Ed

      Ed,  I haven't given much thought about the pack until now.  Where do you hang it?  The end of the Hammock?  Does it rest on the ground or literally hang?

      Can you say something about the accessibility of the pack when in the hammock or have you covered this subject in one of the newsletters?  I read them but do not have total recall (cannot remember).

      Jack
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 7, 2003
        Message
        Jack, I generally hang my pack on the hammock hanging strap near my head.  I can reach it from the hammock, but it takes some effort.  My small summer pack literally hangs without touching the ground, but my larger winter pack does touch the ground.  Deer mice have gotten into my pack when it touched the ground, so I sometimes hang the larger pack in nearby trees.  I also get very lazy and sometimes will just leave my pack on the ground beneath the hammock--depends on the locale and weather.  Of course in 'porky' areas, nothing should be left on the ground!  And in bear territory hanging all food is recommended...Ed

        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 7, 2003
          Hi Jack,

          I only have a dozen or so nights on the AT to bring to the table. I
          put my food in an Ursack. I tie the Ursack to the fork of a tree and
          then prop it upside down so the rain will run off the top instead of
          into the top. If I am at a shelter that is not too crowded, I will
          hang my ursack from one of the nails in the shelter to keep it dry.

          I usually put my pack on the ground under my hammock. I have no food
          it it and have not been bothered with rodents. I put my shoes into
          the pack in case there is a rainstorm. It will keep them fairly dry.

          For those with more experience: I have not hiked through porcupine
          country yet (as far as I know). Where does it start on the AT? PA
          somewhere? and how far north does it go? Was I in porky country when
          I went to the Whites of NH a few weeks ago??

          Rick