Re: rain/tarp replacement

  • dchinell
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 7, 2003
      Marsanne:

      I'm sure you've heard me say this before, but I'll repeat it just in
      case. When I expect bad weather, I replace the stock HH fly with a
      custom made 8 x 8 foot silnylon tarp. I pitch this on the diagonal,
      so it's very much like the HH tarp, but gives a little more coverage
      at the ends, and more overall square footage.

      As a side note, I understand that part of the reason for the
      skimpiness of the stock HH fly is that Tom dislikes seams, and won't
      make the fly bigger if it means adding a seam.

      Like the others who replied, I've only gotten wet under the stock
      fly when I'm exposed to the wind. I get wet at the shoulders or
      where my feet are poking the side as I lie diagonally. It never
      bothered me enough to make me get out and lower the tarp, I just
      found a snugger position that kept the hammock from sticking into
      the rain.

      Bear
    • Shane
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 7, 2003
        > If it were just a light rain with no wind, so the rain was
        > falling straight down, I can see how the fly would protect the
        > hammock, but what happens in rain being blown by gusts every
        > which way in a storm? I've read accounts from folks that say
        > the hammocks stay dry in a heavy rain, I need someone to explain
        > the mechanics exactly of *how* you can stay dry in a windy storm,
        > particularly the ends.

        If the hammock is pitched properly, you can stay dry even in a blowing rain.
        It does help to try to pitch in a spot sheltered from the wind. You should
        pull the tarp tight and close to the sides.

        I think I cover this in my review, here:

        http://tinyurl.com/au8q

        Shane
      • Shane
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 7, 2003
          > Those of you who have replaced your HH tarps, what did you use
          > for a replacement? Marsanne

          A 10x10. It provides many pitching opportunities.

          Shane
        • Mark Bayern
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 7, 2003
            firefly wrote:
            > I think the HH tarp is a design error. It looks cool, but is just too
            > skimpy in the rain.

            Is it? So far the tarp on my HH protects the hammock quite well.

            What I would like is more space for living outside the hammock, under
            the tarp.

            Maybe its a definition thing, but I don't see the HH tarp as a design
            error. Of course a hammock system that is billed as the "Ultra-Lite
            Backpacker" would have a minimal tarp. That helps to make it ultra-lite.

            Mark
          • colonelcorn76
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 8, 2003
              > Ray, I assume you're talking about HH? I have the Explorer A-Sym
              Ultralight.
              > I have been in a calm, early morning rain storm with it before and
              loved it.
              > Slept like a baby. (This was in the yard of my parents house and
              Mom was
              > looking nervously out the window worrying I was getting wet.) This
              was what
              > my folks like to call "a farmer's rain"--steady, not a storm, but
              not a
              > sprinkle, either. However, I was camping in DW in some very high
              winds--no
              > rain, and I was wondering if those cords that came with the tarp
              are strong
              > enough to sustain the kinds of winds you can get in places like
              the Sierras.
              > Or should I invest in some Triptease instead? MARSANNE

              I have the HH Ultralight Backpacker & my son has the Explorer. I
              replaced the lines on the fly with a combination of the Goller
              Grabber and Triptease. The Triptease really helps at night 'cause
              those lines go invisible in a hury.

              Jerry's Goller gave me a tip on using the elastic tubing from a
              Wrist Rocket slingshot to create a self-tensioning fly. I attached
              the surgical rubber tubing from a Wrist Rocket's replacement tubing
              to the two rings on the fly. Then I slid a 1/4" nylon spacer to
              which I've attached the Triptease into the end of the tubing. When I
              hang the hammock I stake it out with the rubber tubing nearly fully
              extended. Then as the nylon stretches, the rubber contracts and
              keeps the thing taut throughout the night & any rain. Not gotten wet
              since I made the mod.

              Jim
            • o123david
              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 17, 2003
                >I'm considering a Hennessey Explorer Deluxe A-Sym... but one thing I
                >can't understand is how the... underside of the hammock wouldn't get
                >soaked in the rain?
                >what happens in rain being blown by gusts every which way in a
                >storm? Sesa

                I've stayed dry in strong wind and rain.
                The underside of the hammock works the same way the old canvas tents
                used to work. All you have to do is keep the material tight and avoid
                pressing hard against any one point.
                Your weight keeps the material tight. The pad you are sleeping on
                lets you avoid putting too much pressure on any one point on the
                bottom. And you have to avoid pressing hard on any one area along the
                sides.
                Even the tiny diamond-shaped tarp on the original hennessy was large
                enough to block the rain from above. I woke the next morning with my
                down bag totally dry. --David
              • dshuby
                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 19, 2003
                  -- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "colonelcorn76"
                  > Jerry's Goller gave me a tip on using the elastic tubing from a
                  > Wrist Rocket slingshot to create a self-tensioning fly. I attached
                  > the surgical rubber tubing from a Wrist Rocket's replacement tubing
                  > to the two rings on the fly. Then I slid a 1/4" nylon spacer to
                  > which I've attached the Triptease into the end of the tubing. When I
                  > hang the hammock I stake it out with the rubber tubing nearly fully
                  > extended. Then as the nylon stretches, the rubber contracts and
                  > keeps the thing taut throughout the night & any rain. Not gotten wet
                  > since I made the mod.

                  Jim - I think I got what you are saying. I remember when Jerry talked
                  about this quite some time ago (BPL or BGT?!?), but I didn't have a
                  hammock then so I wasn't paying attention. ;) If I have it right, you
                  are taking rubber tubing and tying it off to each of the rings on the
                  sides of the HH fly. I am missing what you mean by the use of the
                  nylon spacer. I can then understand how the fly line (either the stock
                  2mm line or Triptease which is what I will replace the stock line with
                  when my test series is done) would just be tied off to the rubber
                  tubing and then staked as normal. This would allow the rubber tubing
                  to contract and keep the fly tensioned over time.

                  You could also do something similar by using one line for the hammock
                  body guy and the fly guy. I have been using the elastic line and tying
                  it off to the fly, then staking it out in the middle and allowing it
                  to self-tension. This could work as well if the two lines were
                  connected in some way by rubber tubing and the strain on the lines was
                  roughly equal. Jerry's method allows a bit more adjustment on the fly
                  than what I have been using even though I have used this setup with a
                  trekking pole to adjust the height.

                  Gracias -
                  Dennis
                • colonelcorn76
                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 20, 2003
                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "dshuby" <shubitow@c...>
                    wrote:
                    > Jim - I think I got what you are saying. I remember when Jerry
                    talked
                    > about this quite some time ago (BPL or BGT?!?), but I didn't have a
                    > hammock then so I wasn't paying attention. ;) If I have it right,
                    you
                    > are taking rubber tubing and tying it off to each of the rings on
                    the
                    > sides of the HH fly. I am missing what you mean by the use of the
                    > nylon spacer. I can then understand how the fly line (either the
                    stock
                    > 2mm line or Triptease which is what I will replace the stock line
                    with
                    > when my test series is done) would just be tied off to the rubber
                    > tubing and then staked as normal. This would allow the rubber
                    tubing
                    > to contract and keep the fly tensioned over time.

                    I included some more detailed directions in a reply to Marsanne's
                    question. The spacer replaces the need to "tie" the cord to the
                    rubber tubing. The knot might work loose or untie, whereas using a
                    spacer slipped into the tubing won't budge. I use cord on my
                    Ultralight Backpacker but TripTease on my son's Explorer.

                    > You could also do something similar by using one line for the
                    hammock
                    > body guy and the fly guy. I have been using the elastic line and
                    tying
                    > it off to the fly, then staking it out in the middle and allowing
                    it
                    > to self-tension.

                    Yeah, I did this originally but it limits somewhat the staking/tie-
                    out options you have. I also can't use my "pull the fly out in my
                    sleep" trick (I just posted that in another reply above).

                    >Jerry's method allows a bit more adjustment on the fly
                    > than what I have been using even though I have used this setup
                    with a
                    > trekking pole to adjust the height.

                    Precisely why I use it. Elegant solution that keeps maximum options
                    open at minimal extra weight.

                    Jim