Newbie question about rain

  • atypical_genuis
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 6, 2003
      I tried the search feature but it wasn't working properly, I'm sure
      this has been asked before...

      I'm considering a Hennessey Explorer Deluxe A-Sym for an AT thru
      hike. I've never used a hammock for backpacking before and it looks
      terrific for someone with fibromyalgia (like me!) who can have a
      really hard time sleeping on the ground, but one thing I can't
      understand is how the ends of the hammock (where the rain fly tapers
      to a point) and the underside of the hammock wouldn't get soaked in
      the rain? If it were just a light rain with no wind, so the rain was
      falling straight down, I can see how the fly would protect the
      hammock, but what happens in rain being blown by gusts every which way
      in a storm? I've read accounts from folks that say the hammocks stay
      dry in a heavy rain, I need someone to explain the mechanics exactly
      of *how* you can stay dry in a windy storm, particularly the ends.

      Sesa
    • Ray Garlington
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 7, 2003
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "atypical_genuis"
        <atypical_genuis@y...> wrote:

        >If it were just a light rain with no wind, so the rain was
        > falling straight down, I can see how the fly would protect the
        > hammock, but what happens in rain being blown by gusts every which
        way
        > in a storm? I've read accounts from folks that say the hammocks
        stay
        > dry in a heavy rain, I need someone to explain the mechanics exactly
        > of *how* you can stay dry in a windy storm, particularly the ends.

        If you pitch the fly very tight and close to the body of the hammock,
        it will stay dry; however, as you point out, the bottom is
        susceptible to wind-driven rain. If the rain is blowing
        horizontally, some rain will hit the bottom and soak through. This is
        a rare occurance. (The 'how' is that there is a sufficient amount of
        tarp to adequately cover the hammock body if it is pitched tight and
        close to the screen.)

        The worst case scenario is when one of your tarp lines lets go due to
        the wind (and sloppy pitching) during a light rain that you happen to
        sleep through. Since you are essentially sleeping in a large bowl,
        you end up sleeping in a large bowl of water.
      • Chester Clocksin

          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 7, 2003
            Ray, I assume you're talking about HH? I have the Explorer A-Sym Ultralight. I have been in a calm, early morning rain storm with it before and loved it. Slept like a baby. (This was in the yard of my parents house and Mom was looking nervously out the window worrying I was getting wet.) This was what my folks like to call "a farmer's rain"--steady, not a storm, but not a sprinkle, either. However, I was camping in DW in some very high winds--no rain, and I was wondering if those cords that came with the tarp are strong enough to sustain the kinds of winds you can get in places like the Sierras. Or should I invest in some Triptease instead?   MARSANNE

              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 7, 2003
                Message
                Sesa, Chet--Some good points about tarp use. I designed the Speer Hammock and have tested it and most of the others in some really bad storms--anyone's first line of defense should be to "hide from the wind".  I discuss this at length in my book.  In the mountains this is generally very easy as I can pitch the hammock on the lee side of a ridge, mtn, or even rock cliff--often in total calm only a few feet out of the wind stream!  Another reason to avoid wind--strong wind can easily damage the extremely light silnylon tarp fabric by causing tears where the pull tabs are sewed on.  This is lightweight gear, not bombproof gear.

                However, when caught out in unexpected wind-blown rain, I greatly lower the 8X10 tarp and pull in the sides until they actually touch the ground (may have to lower hammock as well)--this makes extremely small open ends.  I can also use my ground sheet to block the open wind facing end of the tarp, if needed.  I always carry an emergency Mylar sheet (2oz) anyway (for ground sheet if needed, vapor barrier sheet for sleeping warmth, or rain protection) and it easily ties up at the end of the tarp if needed.  I've had to do this only once in 15 years of hammock camping, so it is not a common need--surprisingly, the 8X10 tarp gives sufficient protection the vast majority of the time, even in the wind!  A rain jacket can be rigged to do the same.  But I hike with a small umbrella (instead of a rain jacket) and occasionally tie it to a hammock strap at the end of the tarp as a door or position it to add another 1.5' or so of roof (now my pack hanging from the end of the hammock stays dry too)....Ed

                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 7, 2003
                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "firefly" <firefly@e...> wrote:
                  > Ray, I assume you're talking about HH?

                  Yes. The model I have is the Explorer 2.5 I have used it in rain
                  several times, the worst of which was a thunderstorm with ~30mph
                  winds. The wind-driven rain hit the hammcock body in the vicinity of
                  my shoulders seeping through a little. Sgt Rock has reported using
                  the HH during the passage of a hurricane, through which he stayed dry.

                  > and I was wondering if those cords that came with the tarp are
                  strong
                  > enough to sustain the kinds of winds you can get in places like the
                  Sierras.
                  > Or should I invest in some Triptease instead? MARSANNE

                  I think the cords on the fly are strong enough, particularly if you
                  are protected by trees. If you expect heavy weather, just pitch the
                  tarp very tight and low.
                • dchinell
                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 7, 2003
                    Marsanne:

                    I'm sure you've heard me say this before, but I'll repeat it just in
                    case. When I expect bad weather, I replace the stock HH fly with a
                    custom made 8 x 8 foot silnylon tarp. I pitch this on the diagonal,
                    so it's very much like the HH tarp, but gives a little more coverage
                    at the ends, and more overall square footage.

                    As a side note, I understand that part of the reason for the
                    skimpiness of the stock HH fly is that Tom dislikes seams, and won't
                    make the fly bigger if it means adding a seam.

                    Like the others who replied, I've only gotten wet under the stock
                    fly when I'm exposed to the wind. I get wet at the shoulders or
                    where my feet are poking the side as I lie diagonally. It never
                    bothered me enough to make me get out and lower the tarp, I just
                    found a snugger position that kept the hammock from sticking into
                    the rain.

                    Bear
                  • Shane
                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 7, 2003
                      > If it were just a light rain with no wind, so the rain was
                      > falling straight down, I can see how the fly would protect the
                      > hammock, but what happens in rain being blown by gusts every
                      > which way in a storm? I've read accounts from folks that say
                      > the hammocks stay dry in a heavy rain, I need someone to explain
                      > the mechanics exactly of *how* you can stay dry in a windy storm,
                      > particularly the ends.

                      If the hammock is pitched properly, you can stay dry even in a blowing rain.
                      It does help to try to pitch in a spot sheltered from the wind. You should
                      pull the tarp tight and close to the sides.

                      I think I cover this in my review, here:

                      http://tinyurl.com/au8q

                      Shane
                    • Shane
                      Message 10 of 15 , Aug 7, 2003
                        > Those of you who have replaced your HH tarps, what did you use
                        > for a replacement? Marsanne

                        A 10x10. It provides many pitching opportunities.

                        Shane
                      • Mark Bayern
                        Message 11 of 15 , Aug 7, 2003
                          firefly wrote:
                          > I think the HH tarp is a design error. It looks cool, but is just too
                          > skimpy in the rain.

                          Is it? So far the tarp on my HH protects the hammock quite well.

                          What I would like is more space for living outside the hammock, under
                          the tarp.

                          Maybe its a definition thing, but I don't see the HH tarp as a design
                          error. Of course a hammock system that is billed as the "Ultra-Lite
                          Backpacker" would have a minimal tarp. That helps to make it ultra-lite.

                          Mark
                        • colonelcorn76
                          Message 12 of 15 , Aug 8, 2003
                            > Ray, I assume you're talking about HH? I have the Explorer A-Sym
                            Ultralight.
                            > I have been in a calm, early morning rain storm with it before and
                            loved it.
                            > Slept like a baby. (This was in the yard of my parents house and
                            Mom was
                            > looking nervously out the window worrying I was getting wet.) This
                            was what
                            > my folks like to call "a farmer's rain"--steady, not a storm, but
                            not a
                            > sprinkle, either. However, I was camping in DW in some very high
                            winds--no
                            > rain, and I was wondering if those cords that came with the tarp
                            are strong
                            > enough to sustain the kinds of winds you can get in places like
                            the Sierras.
                            > Or should I invest in some Triptease instead? MARSANNE

                            I have the HH Ultralight Backpacker & my son has the Explorer. I
                            replaced the lines on the fly with a combination of the Goller
                            Grabber and Triptease. The Triptease really helps at night 'cause
                            those lines go invisible in a hury.

                            Jerry's Goller gave me a tip on using the elastic tubing from a
                            Wrist Rocket slingshot to create a self-tensioning fly. I attached
                            the surgical rubber tubing from a Wrist Rocket's replacement tubing
                            to the two rings on the fly. Then I slid a 1/4" nylon spacer to
                            which I've attached the Triptease into the end of the tubing. When I
                            hang the hammock I stake it out with the rubber tubing nearly fully
                            extended. Then as the nylon stretches, the rubber contracts and
                            keeps the thing taut throughout the night & any rain. Not gotten wet
                            since I made the mod.

                            Jim
                          • o123david
                            Message 13 of 15 , Aug 17, 2003
                              >I'm considering a Hennessey Explorer Deluxe A-Sym... but one thing I
                              >can't understand is how the... underside of the hammock wouldn't get
                              >soaked in the rain?
                              >what happens in rain being blown by gusts every which way in a
                              >storm? Sesa

                              I've stayed dry in strong wind and rain.
                              The underside of the hammock works the same way the old canvas tents
                              used to work. All you have to do is keep the material tight and avoid
                              pressing hard against any one point.
                              Your weight keeps the material tight. The pad you are sleeping on
                              lets you avoid putting too much pressure on any one point on the
                              bottom. And you have to avoid pressing hard on any one area along the
                              sides.
                              Even the tiny diamond-shaped tarp on the original hennessy was large
                              enough to block the rain from above. I woke the next morning with my
                              down bag totally dry. --David
                            • dshuby
                              Message 14 of 15 , Aug 19, 2003
                                -- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "colonelcorn76"
                                > Jerry's Goller gave me a tip on using the elastic tubing from a
                                > Wrist Rocket slingshot to create a self-tensioning fly. I attached
                                > the surgical rubber tubing from a Wrist Rocket's replacement tubing
                                > to the two rings on the fly. Then I slid a 1/4" nylon spacer to
                                > which I've attached the Triptease into the end of the tubing. When I
                                > hang the hammock I stake it out with the rubber tubing nearly fully
                                > extended. Then as the nylon stretches, the rubber contracts and
                                > keeps the thing taut throughout the night & any rain. Not gotten wet
                                > since I made the mod.

                                Jim - I think I got what you are saying. I remember when Jerry talked
                                about this quite some time ago (BPL or BGT?!?), but I didn't have a
                                hammock then so I wasn't paying attention. ;) If I have it right, you
                                are taking rubber tubing and tying it off to each of the rings on the
                                sides of the HH fly. I am missing what you mean by the use of the
                                nylon spacer. I can then understand how the fly line (either the stock
                                2mm line or Triptease which is what I will replace the stock line with
                                when my test series is done) would just be tied off to the rubber
                                tubing and then staked as normal. This would allow the rubber tubing
                                to contract and keep the fly tensioned over time.

                                You could also do something similar by using one line for the hammock
                                body guy and the fly guy. I have been using the elastic line and tying
                                it off to the fly, then staking it out in the middle and allowing it
                                to self-tension. This could work as well if the two lines were
                                connected in some way by rubber tubing and the strain on the lines was
                                roughly equal. Jerry's method allows a bit more adjustment on the fly
                                than what I have been using even though I have used this setup with a
                                trekking pole to adjust the height.

                                Gracias -
                                Dennis
                              • colonelcorn76
                                Message 15 of 15 , Aug 20, 2003
                                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "dshuby" <shubitow@c...>
                                  wrote:
                                  > Jim - I think I got what you are saying. I remember when Jerry
                                  talked
                                  > about this quite some time ago (BPL or BGT?!?), but I didn't have a
                                  > hammock then so I wasn't paying attention. ;) If I have it right,
                                  you
                                  > are taking rubber tubing and tying it off to each of the rings on
                                  the
                                  > sides of the HH fly. I am missing what you mean by the use of the
                                  > nylon spacer. I can then understand how the fly line (either the
                                  stock
                                  > 2mm line or Triptease which is what I will replace the stock line
                                  with
                                  > when my test series is done) would just be tied off to the rubber
                                  > tubing and then staked as normal. This would allow the rubber
                                  tubing
                                  > to contract and keep the fly tensioned over time.

                                  I included some more detailed directions in a reply to Marsanne's
                                  question. The spacer replaces the need to "tie" the cord to the
                                  rubber tubing. The knot might work loose or untie, whereas using a
                                  spacer slipped into the tubing won't budge. I use cord on my
                                  Ultralight Backpacker but TripTease on my son's Explorer.

                                  > You could also do something similar by using one line for the
                                  hammock
                                  > body guy and the fly guy. I have been using the elastic line and
                                  tying
                                  > it off to the fly, then staking it out in the middle and allowing
                                  it
                                  > to self-tension.

                                  Yeah, I did this originally but it limits somewhat the staking/tie-
                                  out options you have. I also can't use my "pull the fly out in my
                                  sleep" trick (I just posted that in another reply above).

                                  >Jerry's method allows a bit more adjustment on the fly
                                  > than what I have been using even though I have used this setup
                                  with a
                                  > trekking pole to adjust the height.

                                  Precisely why I use it. Elegant solution that keeps maximum options
                                  open at minimal extra weight.

                                  Jim