Re: Hammock use in Parks with Ignorant Rangers

  • ciyd01
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 6, 2003
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Risk" <geoflyfisher@y...>
      wrote:
      > Anyone here have contact with a forestry sciences person that would
      > know what sort of research would be useful? I imagine that it would
      > take some real research, and an article in a forestry science
      journal
      > to get this turned around.

      No, but I'm thinking it might be a good research project for one of
      the universities. Univ. of Washington has a forestry department.
      Maybe a grad student would like to do some thesis work on it. Maybe
      one or two of the hammock manufacturer's (hint hint) could approach a
      member of the faculty about this. Maybe there is already some
      similar research that's been done.

      ciyd
    • Shane
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 7, 2003
        > Personally, I don't see any way to improve the situation and I
        > suspect it will get much worst as hammocks become more popular.
        > Government regulations limiting hammocks is already a serious
        > development and will almost certainly impact us all even more in
        > the future. Responsible use and Leave No Trace ethics are our
        > best defense...Ed

        I think that we also need to fight back. We should try to come up with some
        data and some opinions of Forest Service people and a few scientists or
        horticulturists. If we create some kind of handout with good information,
        we could educate Park people about our practices.

        Shane