Re: Hammock Camping Hammock tarp size

  • Chester Clocksin
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 6, 2003
      I have an HH Expedition, and have found that the stock tarp keeps me dry. However, if you are caught in an extended rain, you will like an 8 x 10 tarp (or bigger) in order to have some room to keep your pack dry, cook, stand up and change clothes, etc. I have recently made a Speer hammock and extra large tarp (11 x 9), and the space under the tarp is fantastic. With the Speer hammock, you have a very comfortable camp chair under a large canopy, which makes for a very comfy evening!

      Chet

      stephanie <sswaim63@...> wrote:
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "cmcrooker" <cmcrooker@w...>
      wrote:
      > It sounds like the Equinox long poncho works for Doc because he
      uses
      > it along the diagonal (which would be 119" long on a rectangular
      58"
      > x 104" tarp).  Anyone else have any experience using a rectangular
      > tarp as a canopy?
      > Carol

      Hi Carol,

      I used an 8 by 10 silnylon tarp with my Byer hammock. I found the
      diagonal too long to be able to get it tight most of the time with
      the tree distance that seemed to be best for hanging the hammock. I
      usually pitched it like an A-frame instead. I'd rather pitch
      diagonally since it is just quicker and easier. I think an 8 by 8
      would work well.

      Now I got a Hennessy that i'm testing for BGT so I'm using the stock
      canopy til the test period is over, but keep meaning to try my 8 by
      10 tarp with it. I seem to hang the Hennessy best on trees that are
      farther apart than I did with the Byer. So it may work well. I'm
      hoping I can just hook it to the same hooks the original canopy hooks
      to (i.e. no seperate ridge line). I'm goign to try it as soon as I
      get home from this business trip.

      stephanie