RE: Hammock Camping Hammock tarp size

    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 5 4:45 PM
      Message
      Hi Carol and welcome.  Small tarps like you mentioned are best suited for fair weather, but when cold winds and/or rain blow in, a large tarp is worth it's weight in gold!  My preference for an 8X10 tarp is no secret to those on this list.  Many years of experience have convinced me--my book, newsletters and numerous postings on this list give all the reasons; thus I recommend and sell my hammocks only with an 8X10 silnylon tarp....Ed

      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 5 11:03 PM
        It sounds like the Equinox long poncho works for Doc because he uses
        it along the diagonal (which would be 119" long on a rectangular 58"
        x 104" tarp). Anyone else have any experience using a rectangular
        tarp as a canopy?
        Carol

        > Hi Carol and welcome. Small tarps like you mentioned are best
        suited
        > for fair weather, but when cold winds and/or rain blow in, a large
        tarp
        > is worth it's weight in gold! My preference for an 8X10 tarp is no
        > secret to those on this list. Many years of experience have
        convinced
        > me--my book, newsletters and numerous postings on this list give
        all the
        > reasons; thus I recommend and sell my hammocks only with an 8X10
        > silnylon tarp....Ed

        <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=251812.3170658.4537139.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1
        705

        065843:HM/A=1693353/R=0/SIG=11t71ok4g/*http://www.netflix.com/Default
        ?mq
        > so=60178294&partid=3170658> click here
        >
        > <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?
        M=251812.3170658.4537139.1261774/D=egrou
        > pmail/S=:HM/A=1693353/rand=154501512>

        > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
      • dchinell
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 6 6:48 AM
          Carol:

          I agree with Ed -- when you NEED a tarp, you really appreciate good
          coverage. Myself, I find an 8 x 8 ft tarp adequate. I usually pitch
          it on the diagonal, but could pitch it square in really bad weather.

          I've experimented with folding such a tarp in half, then draping it
          around my shoulders like a waterproof shawl. Not great, but better
          than nothing.

          If you want to get multiple use out of a poncho, you might better
          think of making it double as a Garlington insulator shell. All you'd
          need is about 5 x 8 feet, with a casing and drawstrings in both
          ends, and some way to close the neck hole.

          Bear
        • stephanie
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 6 8:02 AM
            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "cmcrooker" <cmcrooker@w...>
            wrote:
            > It sounds like the Equinox long poncho works for Doc because he
            uses
            > it along the diagonal (which would be 119" long on a rectangular
            58"
            > x 104" tarp). Anyone else have any experience using a rectangular
            > tarp as a canopy?
            > Carol

            Hi Carol,

            I used an 8 by 10 silnylon tarp with my Byer hammock. I found the
            diagonal too long to be able to get it tight most of the time with
            the tree distance that seemed to be best for hanging the hammock. I
            usually pitched it like an A-frame instead. I'd rather pitch
            diagonally since it is just quicker and easier. I think an 8 by 8
            would work well.

            Now I got a Hennessy that i'm testing for BGT so I'm using the stock
            canopy til the test period is over, but keep meaning to try my 8 by
            10 tarp with it. I seem to hang the Hennessy best on trees that are
            farther apart than I did with the Byer. So it may work well. I'm
            hoping I can just hook it to the same hooks the original canopy hooks
            to (i.e. no seperate ridge line). I'm goign to try it as soon as I
            get home from this business trip.

            stephanie
          • Chester Clocksin
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 6 8:42 AM
              I have an HH Expedition, and have found that the stock tarp keeps me dry. However, if you are caught in an extended rain, you will like an 8 x 10 tarp (or bigger) in order to have some room to keep your pack dry, cook, stand up and change clothes, etc. I have recently made a Speer hammock and extra large tarp (11 x 9), and the space under the tarp is fantastic. With the Speer hammock, you have a very comfortable camp chair under a large canopy, which makes for a very comfy evening!

              Chet