Re: Hammock tarp size

  • Risk
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 5, 2003
      Because of the length of my hammock, I would not have much use for a
      tarp smaller than 120 inches long. 58 inches wide is fine for the
      tarp. The problem with using a poncho is the need to take the lines
      on and off all the time. It would be much more attractive if the
      lines attached with a quick release.

      Rick

      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 5, 2003
        Message
        Hi Carol and welcome.  Small tarps like you mentioned are best suited for fair weather, but when cold winds and/or rain blow in, a large tarp is worth it's weight in gold!  My preference for an 8X10 tarp is no secret to those on this list.  Many years of experience have convinced me--my book, newsletters and numerous postings on this list give all the reasons; thus I recommend and sell my hammocks only with an 8X10 silnylon tarp....Ed

        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 5, 2003
          It sounds like the Equinox long poncho works for Doc because he uses
          it along the diagonal (which would be 119" long on a rectangular 58"
          x 104" tarp). Anyone else have any experience using a rectangular
          tarp as a canopy?
          Carol

          > Hi Carol and welcome. Small tarps like you mentioned are best
          suited
          > for fair weather, but when cold winds and/or rain blow in, a large
          tarp
          > is worth it's weight in gold! My preference for an 8X10 tarp is no
          > secret to those on this list. Many years of experience have
          convinced
          > me--my book, newsletters and numerous postings on this list give
          all the
          > reasons; thus I recommend and sell my hammocks only with an 8X10
          > silnylon tarp....Ed

          <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=251812.3170658.4537139.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1
          705

          065843:HM/A=1693353/R=0/SIG=11t71ok4g/*http://www.netflix.com/Default
          ?mq
          > so=60178294&partid=3170658> click here
          >
          > <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?
          M=251812.3170658.4537139.1261774/D=egrou
          > pmail/S=:HM/A=1693353/rand=154501512>

          > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
        • dchinell
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 6, 2003
            Carol:

            I agree with Ed -- when you NEED a tarp, you really appreciate good
            coverage. Myself, I find an 8 x 8 ft tarp adequate. I usually pitch
            it on the diagonal, but could pitch it square in really bad weather.

            I've experimented with folding such a tarp in half, then draping it
            around my shoulders like a waterproof shawl. Not great, but better
            than nothing.

            If you want to get multiple use out of a poncho, you might better
            think of making it double as a Garlington insulator shell. All you'd
            need is about 5 x 8 feet, with a casing and drawstrings in both
            ends, and some way to close the neck hole.

            Bear
          • stephanie
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 6, 2003
              wrote:
              > It sounds like the Equinox long poncho works for Doc because he
              uses
              > it along the diagonal (which would be 119" long on a rectangular
              58"
              > x 104" tarp). Anyone else have any experience using a rectangular
              > tarp as a canopy?
              > Carol

              Hi Carol,

              I used an 8 by 10 silnylon tarp with my Byer hammock. I found the
              diagonal too long to be able to get it tight most of the time with
              the tree distance that seemed to be best for hanging the hammock. I
              usually pitched it like an A-frame instead. I'd rather pitch
              diagonally since it is just quicker and easier. I think an 8 by 8
              would work well.

              Now I got a Hennessy that i'm testing for BGT so I'm using the stock
              canopy til the test period is over, but keep meaning to try my 8 by
              10 tarp with it. I seem to hang the Hennessy best on trees that are
              farther apart than I did with the Byer. So it may work well. I'm
              hoping I can just hook it to the same hooks the original canopy hooks
              to (i.e. no seperate ridge line). I'm goign to try it as soon as I
              get home from this business trip.

              stephanie
            • Chester Clocksin
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 6, 2003
                I have an HH Expedition, and have found that the stock tarp keeps me dry. However, if you are caught in an extended rain, you will like an 8 x 10 tarp (or bigger) in order to have some room to keep your pack dry, cook, stand up and change clothes, etc. I have recently made a Speer hammock and extra large tarp (11 x 9), and the space under the tarp is fantastic. With the Speer hammock, you have a very comfortable camp chair under a large canopy, which makes for a very comfy evening!

                Chet