Hammock tarp size

  • cmcrooker
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 5, 2003
      Hi all,
      BPL.com is in the process of prototyping a poncho/tarp out of
      spinnaker cloth. I wrote to ask Ryan when he expected to have these
      ready to sell and mentioned I'd also like to use it with a hammock.
      Doc (spiveyweb) had recently posted to BPL that he uses the Equinox
      extended silnylon poncho/tarp very successfully with his Hennessy UL
      Aysm hammock. According to Campmor web site, that poncho measures
      58" x 104".
      Ryan wrote back to say that the poncho/tarps may be ready to sell by
      the end of the year and to ask what dimensions would be needed to
      use the poncho/tarp with a hammock. Since I don't own a hammock
      yet, thought I'd ask you all.

      What size poncho/tarp would work well as a hammock tarp? Is 58" x
      104" optimal? I'm interested in the smallest poncho that will do
      the job.

      Thanks for any input.
      Carol
    • Risk
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 5, 2003
        Because of the length of my hammock, I would not have much use for a
        tarp smaller than 120 inches long. 58 inches wide is fine for the
        tarp. The problem with using a poncho is the need to take the lines
        on and off all the time. It would be much more attractive if the
        lines attached with a quick release.

        Rick

        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 5, 2003
          Message
          Hi Carol and welcome.  Small tarps like you mentioned are best suited for fair weather, but when cold winds and/or rain blow in, a large tarp is worth it's weight in gold!  My preference for an 8X10 tarp is no secret to those on this list.  Many years of experience have convinced me--my book, newsletters and numerous postings on this list give all the reasons; thus I recommend and sell my hammocks only with an 8X10 silnylon tarp....Ed

          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 5, 2003
            It sounds like the Equinox long poncho works for Doc because he uses
            it along the diagonal (which would be 119" long on a rectangular 58"
            x 104" tarp). Anyone else have any experience using a rectangular
            tarp as a canopy?
            Carol

            > Hi Carol and welcome. Small tarps like you mentioned are best
            suited
            > for fair weather, but when cold winds and/or rain blow in, a large
            tarp
            > is worth it's weight in gold! My preference for an 8X10 tarp is no
            > secret to those on this list. Many years of experience have
            convinced
            > me--my book, newsletters and numerous postings on this list give
            all the
            > reasons; thus I recommend and sell my hammocks only with an 8X10
            > silnylon tarp....Ed

            <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=251812.3170658.4537139.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1
            705

            065843:HM/A=1693353/R=0/SIG=11t71ok4g/*http://www.netflix.com/Default
            ?mq
            > so=60178294&partid=3170658> click here
            >
            > <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?
            M=251812.3170658.4537139.1261774/D=egrou
            > pmail/S=:HM/A=1693353/rand=154501512>

            > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
          • dchinell
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 6, 2003
              Carol:

              I agree with Ed -- when you NEED a tarp, you really appreciate good
              coverage. Myself, I find an 8 x 8 ft tarp adequate. I usually pitch
              it on the diagonal, but could pitch it square in really bad weather.

              I've experimented with folding such a tarp in half, then draping it
              around my shoulders like a waterproof shawl. Not great, but better
              than nothing.

              If you want to get multiple use out of a poncho, you might better
              think of making it double as a Garlington insulator shell. All you'd
              need is about 5 x 8 feet, with a casing and drawstrings in both
              ends, and some way to close the neck hole.

              Bear
            • stephanie
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 6, 2003
                wrote:
                > It sounds like the Equinox long poncho works for Doc because he
                uses
                > it along the diagonal (which would be 119" long on a rectangular
                58"
                > x 104" tarp). Anyone else have any experience using a rectangular
                > tarp as a canopy?
                > Carol

                Hi Carol,

                I used an 8 by 10 silnylon tarp with my Byer hammock. I found the
                diagonal too long to be able to get it tight most of the time with
                the tree distance that seemed to be best for hanging the hammock. I
                usually pitched it like an A-frame instead. I'd rather pitch
                diagonally since it is just quicker and easier. I think an 8 by 8
                would work well.

                Now I got a Hennessy that i'm testing for BGT so I'm using the stock
                canopy til the test period is over, but keep meaning to try my 8 by
                10 tarp with it. I seem to hang the Hennessy best on trees that are
                farther apart than I did with the Byer. So it may work well. I'm
                hoping I can just hook it to the same hooks the original canopy hooks
                to (i.e. no seperate ridge line). I'm goign to try it as soon as I
                get home from this business trip.

                stephanie
              • Chester Clocksin
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 6, 2003
                  I have an HH Expedition, and have found that the stock tarp keeps me dry. However, if you are caught in an extended rain, you will like an 8 x 10 tarp (or bigger) in order to have some room to keep your pack dry, cook, stand up and change clothes, etc. I have recently made a Speer hammock and extra large tarp (11 x 9), and the space under the tarp is fantastic. With the Speer hammock, you have a very comfortable camp chair under a large canopy, which makes for a very comfy evening!

                  Chet