Re: Experiments -- long

  • canoetrip_2000
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 5, 2003
      What do you mean, "between the layers"? What layers? How cold was it?
      Marsanne

      . One pad placed between
      > the layers lengthwise ended up being comfy-cozy. (I fell
      > asleep and slept the whole night through.)
      >
      > I expected my shoulders to be cold, but they weren't,
      > despite not being totally wrapped in the foam pad. I suspect
      > this is because the Tropical Hammock is much narrower than
      > the HH, so my shoulders weren't being pressed so hard by the
      > hammock material. I think one reason we get cold on the
      > bottom and sides is because the hammock compresses our own
      > body insulation (fat and stuff). Where there's less
      > compression, there's less cold.

    • dchinell
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 5, 2003
        Marsanne:

        I was a poor scientist on my vacation. I failed to bring a
        thermometer, so I don't know how cold it was. I'd estimate that it
        was no colder than the high-sixties.

        By "between the layers" I refer to the construction of the Tropical
        Hammock. It has two layers, sewn together at the ends and along one
        edge. It has a casing at either end, through which a cord is passed
        to suspend the hammock.

        I slip the pad between the layers. I think this is probably the
        ideal configuration for using a pad.

        Bear
      • dchinell
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 6, 2003
          Ed:

          Geez, I'm sorry to hear that about a park I enjoy. It really must
          depend on the personality of the ranger you encounter. I pitched my
          hammocks in several places, including the edge of the forest just
          behind the cabin. It wasn't obvious, but it was clearly visible to
          anyone who looked. I guess the "wrong" ranger just never looked.

          Stealth is important. And that makes LNT doubly important.

          Bear

          > BTY, that's the same state park that made me take down my hammock
          which was hung from the trees in the yard of one of the cabins last
          year--the ranger was very abrasive and rude, even threathing to kick
          us out of the cabin--he was most unhappy about a hammock tied to a
          tree in his park and would not listen to any reasoning!