Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

RE: Hammock Camping Shoulder squeeze

Expand Messages
  • Chester Clocksin
    Just throwing this out there in case you haven t considered it. Make sure your head end is not too close to the end of the hammock. Ed s advice about a longer
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 5, 2003
    View Source
    • 0 Attachment
      Just throwing this out there in case you haven't considered it. Make sure your head end is not too close to the end of the hammock. Ed's advice about a longer hammock is the best way to make sure of this, but if you've used a standard size HH and had problems with shoulder squeeze, you may need to move "down" a bit in the hammock. I typically slide my upper body closer the center of the hammock, not all the way to the center of course, but sliding down somewhat gives the shoulders more room. I'm the same height, and a little  heavier. Good luck,
       
      Chet

      Ed Speer <info@...> wrote:
      Yes, I do make a longer hammock, so does Hennessy.  But your height and weight don't suggest it's needed, unless the hammocks you've used in the past were uncommonly short, which seems unlikely.  Do you know the actual lengths of the hammocks in question?  I'm be out of town tomorrow but will respond again on Wednesday....Ed
       
       
      -----Original Message-----
      From: ghman777 [mailto:ghman777@...]
      Sent: Monday, August 04, 2003 8:23 PM
      To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: Hammock Camping Shoulder squeeze

      Wow! Thanx for the quick reply. Im 180# and 5'11. Im not particularly
      wide shouldered but I do move alot in my sleep. I used to have a HH
      but then gave it to my brother because of the same problem. Then
      because I want this to work so much, I got a Byer from Campmor.
      Admittedly the Byer is shorter, but the HH gave me the same problem.
      Maybe I need to find a longer hammock? Do you make one?



      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ed Speer" <info@s...> wrote:
      > I assume you are using a solid fabric nylon hammock?  I use to have
      this
      > problem when I was testing string net hammocks. You may not be doing
      > anything wrong.  If you've tried hanging with LOTS of sag, and you
      still
      > have shoulder squeeze, your hammock may be too small for you.  A
      > hammock's comfort is dependent on numerous things, but proper
      length and
      > width are essential--not all hammocks are equal!  Excessive shoulder
      > squeeze is a common problem with a hammock that is too short.  I
      > recommend a hammock at least 2 feet longer than the occupiant,
      > especially if the hammock is gathered at the ends like the Speer,
      > Hennessy or Clark--the longer the hammock, the more comfortable it
      is;
      > or the shorter the hammock, the less comfortable it is!  Hammocks
      with
      > spreader bars or wide tie-out ends may not suffer from this. 
      Hammocks
      > made of string net suffer greatly from shoulder squeeze no matter
      how
      > they are pitched.  Of course, folks with very broad shoulders &/or
      > excessive weight may have more problems than other folks.  We may be
      > able to offer some suggestions if we know what hammock you are
      using,
      > what is your height and weight and what is the length of the
      hammock?
      > ...Ed
      >
      > -----Original Message-----
      > From: ghman777 [mailto:ghman777@y...]
      > Sent: Monday, August 04, 2003 6:44 PM
      > To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: Hammock Camping Shoulder squeeze
      >
      >
      > No matter how slack or how tight i tie my hammock, I have terrible
      > shoulder squeeze which gives me shoulder aches in the morning. Even
      > sleeping on the diagonal, it eventually hurts my shoulders.  What
      > might I be doing wrong?
      >
      >
      >
      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor     
      >
      > ADVERTISEMENT

      >
      <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=259538.3625325.4914071.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17
      05
      > 065843:HM/A=1695348/R=0/SIG=11u38u3s2/*http://hits.411web.com/cgi-
      bin/hi
      > t?page=1374-105951838331032> click here     

      > <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?
      M=259538.3625325.4914071.1261774/D=egrou
      > pmail/S=:HM/A=1695348/rand=780352224>      
      >
      > To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
      > hammockcamping-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
      >
      >
      >
      > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service
      > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .



      To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
      hammockcamping-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com



      Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.


      To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
      hammockcamping-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com



      Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.
    • ghman777
      I just ordered a hammock that is 55X118. Hope that makes the dif. thanx for the replys.- -- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Chester Clocksin ... Make sure
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 5, 2003
      View Source
      • 0 Attachment
        I just ordered a hammock that is 55X118. Hope that makes the dif.
        thanx for the replys.-

        -- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Chester Clocksin
        <cclocksin@a...> wrote:
        > Just throwing this out there in case you haven't considered it.
        Make sure your head end is not too close to the end of the hammock.
        Ed's advice about a longer hammock is the best way to make sure of
        this, but if you've used a standard size HH and had problems with
        shoulder squeeze, you may need to move "down" a bit in the hammock. I
        typically slide my upper body closer the center of the hammock, not
        all the way to the center of course, but sliding down somewhat gives
        the shoulders more room. I'm the same height, and a little heavier.
        Good luck,
        >
        > Chet
        >
        > Ed Speer <info@s...> wrote:
        > Yes, I do make a longer hammock, so does Hennessy. But your height
        and weight don't suggest it's needed, unless the hammocks you've used
        in the past were uncommonly short, which seems unlikely. Do you know
        the actual lengths of the hammocks in question? I'm be out of town
        tomorrow but will respond again on Wednesday....Ed
        >
        >
        >
        > -----Original Message-----
        > From: ghman777 [mailto:ghman777@y...]
        > Sent: Monday, August 04, 2003 8:23 PM
        > To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
        > Subject: Re: Hammock Camping Shoulder squeeze
        >
        >
        > Wow! Thanx for the quick reply. Im 180# and 5'11. Im not
        particularly
        > wide shouldered but I do move alot in my sleep. I used to have a HH
        > but then gave it to my brother because of the same problem. Then
        > because I want this to work so much, I got a Byer from Campmor.
        > Admittedly the Byer is shorter, but the HH gave me the same
        problem.
        > Maybe I need to find a longer hammock? Do you make one?
        >
        >
        >
        > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ed Speer" <info@s...> wrote:
        > > I assume you are using a solid fabric nylon hammock? I use to
        have
        > this
        > > problem when I was testing string net hammocks. You may not be
        doing
        > > anything wrong. If you've tried hanging with LOTS of sag, and
        you
        > still
        > > have shoulder squeeze, your hammock may be too small for you. A
        > > hammock's comfort is dependent on numerous things, but proper
        > length and
        > > width are essential--not all hammocks are equal! Excessive
        shoulder
        > > squeeze is a common problem with a hammock that is too short. I
        > > recommend a hammock at least 2 feet longer than the occupiant,
        > > especially if the hammock is gathered at the ends like the Speer,
        > > Hennessy or Clark--the longer the hammock, the more comfortable
        it
        > is;
        > > or the shorter the hammock, the less comfortable it is! Hammocks
        > with
        > > spreader bars or wide tie-out ends may not suffer from this.
        > Hammocks
        > > made of string net suffer greatly from shoulder squeeze no matter
        > how
        > > they are pitched. Of course, folks with very broad shoulders &/or
        > > excessive weight may have more problems than other folks. We may
        be
        > > able to offer some suggestions if we know what hammock you are
        > using,
        > > what is your height and weight and what is the length of the
        > hammock?
        > > ...Ed
        > >
        > > -----Original Message-----
        > > From: ghman777 [mailto:ghman777@y...]
        > > Sent: Monday, August 04, 2003 6:44 PM
        > > To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
        > > Subject: Hammock Camping Shoulder squeeze
        > >
        > >
        > > No matter how slack or how tight i tie my hammock, I have
        terrible
        > > shoulder squeeze which gives me shoulder aches in the morning.
        Even
        > > sleeping on the diagonal, it eventually hurts my shoulders. What
        > > might I be doing wrong?
        > >
        > >
        > >
        > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
        > >
        > > ADVERTISEMENT
        > >
        > >
        >
        <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=259538.3625325.4914071.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17
        > 05
        > > 065843:HM/A=1695348/R=0/SIG=11u38u3s2/*http://hits.411web.com/cgi-
        > bin/hi
        > > t?page=1374-105951838331032> click here
        > >
        > > <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?
        > M=259538.3625325.4914071.1261774/D=egrou
        > > pmail/S=:HM/A=1695348/rand=780352224>
        > >
        > > To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
        > > hammockcamping-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
        > >
        > >
        > >
        > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
        Service
        > > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
        >
        >
        >
        > To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
        > hammockcamping-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
        >
        >
        >
        > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
        Service.
        >
        > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
        >
        > To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
        > hammockcamping-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
        >
        >
        >
        > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.
      Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.