RE: Hammock Camping Shoulder squeeze

    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 4 4:33 PM
      Message
      I assume you are using a solid fabric nylon hammock?  I use to have this problem when I was testing string net hammocks. You may not be doing anything wrong.  If you've tried hanging with LOTS of sag, and you still have shoulder squeeze, your hammock may be too small for you.  A hammock's comfort is dependent on numerous things, but proper length and width are essential--not all hammocks are equal!  Excessive shoulder squeeze is a common problem with a hammock that is too short.  I recommend a hammock at least 2 feet longer than the occupiant, especially if the hammock is gathered at the ends like the Speer, Hennessy or Clark--the longer the hammock, the more comfortable it is; or the shorter the hammock, the less comfortable it is!  Hammocks with spreader bars or wide tie-out ends may not suffer from this.  Hammocks made of string net suffer greatly from shoulder squeeze no matter how they are pitched.  Of course, folks with very broad shoulders &/or excessive weight may have more problems than other folks.  We may be able to offer some suggestions if we know what hammock you are using, what is your height and weight and what is the length of the hammock?  ...Ed
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 4 5:23 PM
        Wow! Thanx for the quick reply. Im 180# and 5'11. Im not particularly
        wide shouldered but I do move alot in my sleep. I used to have a HH
        but then gave it to my brother because of the same problem. Then
        because I want this to work so much, I got a Byer from Campmor.
        Admittedly the Byer is shorter, but the HH gave me the same problem.
        Maybe I need to find a longer hammock? Do you make one?

        > I assume you are using a solid fabric nylon hammock? I use to have
        this
        > problem when I was testing string net hammocks. You may not be doing
        > anything wrong. If you've tried hanging with LOTS of sag, and you
        still
        > have shoulder squeeze, your hammock may be too small for you. A
        > hammock's comfort is dependent on numerous things, but proper
        length and
        > width are essential--not all hammocks are equal! Excessive shoulder
        > squeeze is a common problem with a hammock that is too short. I
        > recommend a hammock at least 2 feet longer than the occupiant,
        > especially if the hammock is gathered at the ends like the Speer,
        > Hennessy or Clark--the longer the hammock, the more comfortable it
        is;
        > or the shorter the hammock, the less comfortable it is! Hammocks
        with
        > spreader bars or wide tie-out ends may not suffer from this.
        Hammocks
        > made of string net suffer greatly from shoulder squeeze no matter
        how
        > they are pitched. Of course, folks with very broad shoulders &/or
        > excessive weight may have more problems than other folks. We may be
        > able to offer some suggestions if we know what hammock you are
        using,
        > what is your height and weight and what is the length of the
        hammock?
        > ...Ed

        <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=259538.3625325.4914071.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17
        05

        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 4 7:16 PM
          Message
          Yes, I do make a longer hammock, so does Hennessy.  But your height and weight don't suggest it's needed, unless the hammocks you've used in the past were uncommonly short, which seems unlikely.  Do you know the actual lengths of the hammocks in question?  I'm be out of town tomorrow but will respond again on Wednesday....Ed

          Wow! Thanx for the quick reply. Im 180# and 5'11. Im not particularly
          wide shouldered but I do move alot in my sleep. I used to have a HH
          but then gave it to my brother because of the same problem. Then
          because I want this to work so much, I got a Byer from Campmor.
          Admittedly the Byer is shorter, but the HH gave me the same problem.
          Maybe I need to find a longer hammock? Do you make one?

          > I assume you are using a solid fabric nylon hammock?  I use to have
          this
          > problem when I was testing string net hammocks. You may not be doing
          > anything wrong.  If you've tried hanging with LOTS of sag, and you
          still
          > have shoulder squeeze, your hammock may be too small for you.  A
          > hammock's comfort is dependent on numerous things, but proper
          length and
          > width are essential--not all hammocks are equal!  Excessive shoulder
          > squeeze is a common problem with a hammock that is too short.  I
          > recommend a hammock at least 2 feet longer than the occupiant,
          > especially if the hammock is gathered at the ends like the Speer,
          > Hennessy or Clark--the longer the hammock, the more comfortable it
          is;
          > or the shorter the hammock, the less comfortable it is!  Hammocks
          with
          > spreader bars or wide tie-out ends may not suffer from this.
          Hammocks
          > made of string net suffer greatly from shoulder squeeze no matter
          how
          > they are pitched.  Of course, folks with very broad shoulders &/or
          > excessive weight may have more problems than other folks.  We may be
          > able to offer some suggestions if we know what hammock you are
          using,
          > what is your height and weight and what is the length of the
          hammock?
          > ...Ed

        • Chester Clocksin
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 5 3:54 AM
            Just throwing this out there in case you haven't considered it. Make sure your head end is not too close to the end of the hammock. Ed's advice about a longer hammock is the best way to make sure of this, but if you've used a standard size HH and had problems with shoulder squeeze, you may need to move "down" a bit in the hammock. I typically slide my upper body closer the center of the hammock, not all the way to the center of course, but sliding down somewhat gives the shoulders more room. I'm the same height, and a little  heavier. Good luck,

            Chet

          • ghman777
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 5 5:47 PM
              I just ordered a hammock that is 55X118. Hope that makes the dif.
              thanx for the replys.-

              -- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Chester Clocksin
              <cclocksin@a...> wrote:
              > Just throwing this out there in case you haven't considered it.
              Make sure your head end is not too close to the end of the hammock.
              Ed's advice about a longer hammock is the best way to make sure of
              this, but if you've used a standard size HH and had problems with
              shoulder squeeze, you may need to move "down" a bit in the hammock. I
              typically slide my upper body closer the center of the hammock, not
              all the way to the center of course, but sliding down somewhat gives
              the shoulders more room. I'm the same height, and a little heavier.
              Good luck,

              > Chet
              >
              > Ed Speer <info@s...> wrote:
              > Yes, I do make a longer hammock, so does Hennessy. But your height
              and weight don't suggest it's needed, unless the hammocks you've used
              in the past were uncommonly short, which seems unlikely. Do you know
              the actual lengths of the hammocks in question? I'm be out of town
              tomorrow but will respond again on Wednesday....Ed

              Service

              Service.