Re: Hammock Camping My rig - long

  • Jim Lynch
    Message 1 of 59 , Jan 10, 2003
      How much does it weigh?

      Subject:
      Hammock Camping My rig - long
      Date:
      Fri, 10 Jan 2003 10:17:24 -0500
      From:
      "David Chinell" <dchinell@...>
      To:
      <hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com>

      Here's what I use on most of my weekend expeditions...

      Nomad Traveler Tropical Hammock
      Custom 8 x 8 ft silnylon tarp
      Custom 9 x 12 ft mosquito net
      Closed-cell foam pad 24 x 60 in
      Thinsulate poncho liner 7.5 x 5 ft

      2 10 ft long 1/4-inch tree ropes
      1 25 ft long paracord ridge line
      6 10 ft long paracord tarp lines
      6 aluminum tent pegs
      4 small binder clips

      This is just the hammock-based shelter stuff. I also take cooking and
      clothing and first
      aid gear, but this is a hammock list, so I'll skip that.

      I wrap the tree ropes around the tree, then tie the hammock lines to
      them. This gives me
      a consistent way to rig the hammock, and distributes the pressure on the
      bark better. I
      wrap the tree lines at about eye level. After wrapping, I tie off the
      tree lines with a square
      knot. I pull out a bight from the tree line and attach the hammock line
      using a slipped
      sheet bend.

      The ridge line goes up next, tied with a bowline at one end and a
      tautline at the other. I
      start with the ridgeline positioned almost as high as I can reach, but
      use a single, big
      loop around the trees so I can loosen the line and slide it up and down
      the trunk as
      weather dictates.

      Next the tarp goes up. I pitch the tarp on the diagonal unless there's a
      really high wind.
      Usually, I just throw the tarp over the ridge line while I rig it. I
      could leave the tarp lines
      attached to the tarp, but I like practicing the knots. Moonbow made the
      tarp for me. It's
      square, with tie-outs at the corners and the mid-points of the sides.

      At the ends of the tarp (the corners at the head and foot of the
      hammock) I tie on a tarp
      line using a bowline, making sure to leave some space between the knot
      and the tie-out.
      I loop the line around the tree, just above the ridgeline, bring the
      line back through the
      loop made by the bowline, and secure it onto the ridgeline using a
      tautline hitch. I do this
      so I can adjust the tension of the tarp from under the tarp. This means
      I can slide the
      ridgeline and tarp up and down without getting wet.

      At the sides of the tarp, I tie on a tarp line using a tautline hitch --
      again, so I can adjust
      the tension without getting wet, by reaching out from under the tarp.
      The side lines run
      out at right angles to the ridgeline, and I just throw a lark's head
      knot around the tent peg.

      At this point I usually take a nap. If it's already cold, I may slide
      the closed-cell foam pad
      between the hammock layers. Otherwise, I'll leave the pad out until it
      gets cold enough
      to need it. I really prefer the feeling of the hammock without the pad.
      The pad I use is a
      cheap, blue, department store pad. I trimmed it to length and rounded
      the ends. It
      conforms to the shape of the hammock nicely.

      The last thing to go on is the mosquito net -- if it's bug season. I
      made this myself,
      starting with a 12 ft length of 9-ft wide bridal tulle. Only Illusion
      brand comes this wide,
      and it's only available in white or ivory. But it takes Rit die nicely,
      so I die it dark green.
      No cutting or sewing is required. The net just drapes over the
      ridgeline. I clip it at the
      ends, once in the middle and once just below the hammock to close it off
      and keep it
      anchored. There's enough slack to just lift it up to get into or out of
      the hammock.

      I use the poncho liner as a quilt. In cold weather -- I'm in Florida, so
      40 degrees F is
      cold -- I'll switch from the poncho liner to a Speer Pea Pod bag. The
      only drawback to
      this is that the velcro on the bag will destroy the mosquito net, so
      it's one or the other,
      but not both. Fortunately, when it's cold enough to need the Pea Pod,
      the mosquitoes
      are generally dormant.

      That's it. What do you think?

      Bear

      --
      James P. ('Jim') Lynch
      jplynch@...
      Message 59 of 59 , Jan 14, 2003
        Message
        The Velcro is 1" wide; it does gather lint & debris, but this is not a serious problem.  I like the Velcro because it always works (unlike zippers) and I can grab the bug net edges anywhere and open it to get out, even in total darkness (handy when the call of nature calls in the middle of the night)....Ed
        How wide are the strips of Velcro on the sides.  I really like that idea.  Have you had any problems with leaves or dirt or any of natures other elements making the Velcro unable to stay shut?  No I haven't gotten the book I'm looking forward to reading it.  What is the farthest distance trees can be apart?  I hope I have been a bother.  I'll be ordering it on the 12th or 15th of Feb when I get back from the honeymoon. Get your thread ready. :)
        -Jason S