Re: foam pad on bottom of HH

  • ciyd01
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 4, 2003
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, ptoddf@a... wrote:
      > Ciyd,
      >
      > Good luck on this one. I don't think it can be made to work, not
      with the
      > firm, weight bearing foam of camping pads. Not conforming enough.
      But, try it
      > anyway. Why not?

      I was thinking of using a yoga mat, which is much more flexible and
      very grippy. I think this would conform much better than the blue
      foam camping pads. The therma rest pads would not work unless they
      were somewhat deflated.

      > I made a trial bottom quilt using Thinsulate sleeping bag
      insulation and
      > cheap nylon lining fabric from JoAnnes's fabric stores. This works,
      but is heavy
      > because it's not down, and has a lot of flaws to be addressed in my
      next
      > attempt.

      But JoAnn's is blowing out their Nylon and supplex fabrics for $2.99
      a yard, so it's a cheap way to do prototypes. Just check the end of
      the bolt for the fabric info.

      > Suggest you work in this direction.

      I'm looking at that, as well. Good luck with the underquilt!

      ciyd
    • chcoa
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 7, 2003
        I tried using shock cords to hold my neat sheet insulator bottom on
        with the pad inside, but it didn't work that well. The pad (which
        weight 16oz) was too heavy and there was too much sag away from the
        bottom of the hammock.

        I'd be interested in hearing how your experiment goes though.

        Jamie in AZ

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "ciyd01" <ciyd@a...> wrote:
        > I have an idea and was wondering if anyone had tried this before.
        > The closed cell foam pad is required for insulation but does it
        need
        > to be IN the hammock? I was thinking that I could put a couple of
        > shock cords or some thin elastic straps across the bottom of the
        > hammock and slide the pads between them and the hammock bottom.
        This