Re: foam pad on bottom of HH

  • ptoddf@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 4, 2003
      Ciyd,

      Good luck on this one. I don't think it can be made to work, not with the firm, weight bearing foam of camping pads. Not conforming enough. But, try it anyway. Why not?

      I made a trial bottom quilt using Thinsulate sleeping bag insulation and cheap nylon lining fabric from JoAnnes's fabric stores. This works, but is heavy because it's not down, and has a lot of flaws to be addressed in my next attempt.

      Suggest you work in this direction. Bottom quilt has to conform to HH bottom and accomodate the flex and stretch of entry and rolling around in there. Not an easy thing. But yeh, just jumping in is incredibly much better than dealing with internal pads and reflectors. No condensation either. The HH bottom is breathable, enough so, anyway.

      Best, Todd in Tarzana.
    • ciyd01
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 4, 2003
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, ptoddf@a... wrote:
        > Ciyd,
        >
        > Good luck on this one. I don't think it can be made to work, not
        with the
        > firm, weight bearing foam of camping pads. Not conforming enough.
        But, try it
        > anyway. Why not?

        I was thinking of using a yoga mat, which is much more flexible and
        very grippy. I think this would conform much better than the blue
        foam camping pads. The therma rest pads would not work unless they
        were somewhat deflated.

        > I made a trial bottom quilt using Thinsulate sleeping bag
        insulation and
        > cheap nylon lining fabric from JoAnnes's fabric stores. This works,
        but is heavy
        > because it's not down, and has a lot of flaws to be addressed in my
        next
        > attempt.

        But JoAnn's is blowing out their Nylon and supplex fabrics for $2.99
        a yard, so it's a cheap way to do prototypes. Just check the end of
        the bolt for the fabric info.

        > Suggest you work in this direction.

        I'm looking at that, as well. Good luck with the underquilt!

        ciyd
      • chcoa
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 7, 2003
          I tried using shock cords to hold my neat sheet insulator bottom on
          with the pad inside, but it didn't work that well. The pad (which
          weight 16oz) was too heavy and there was too much sag away from the
          bottom of the hammock.

          I'd be interested in hearing how your experiment goes though.

          Jamie in AZ

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "ciyd01" <ciyd@a...> wrote:
          > I have an idea and was wondering if anyone had tried this before.
          > The closed cell foam pad is required for insulation but does it
          need
          > to be IN the hammock? I was thinking that I could put a couple of
          > shock cords or some thin elastic straps across the bottom of the
          > hammock and slide the pads between them and the hammock bottom.
          This