Re: Upcoming Hammock Hangers Trip--Sep 20 2003!

    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 4, 2003
      Everyone Welcome!

      Join us for the third Southeast Hammock Hangers Association campout
      on Saturday, September 20! It's FREE! This is an informal group
      event and everyone is welcome--veteran, novice or future hammockers.
      See, learn and share your knowledge with other hammock enthusiasts.
      This will be an easy overnighter with an enjoyable 5-mile one-way
      hike from the cars. We will meet mid-morning Saturday and hike
      together to the campsite, returning to the cars on Sunday.

      Join me, Ed Speer, author of the Hammock Camping book and editor of
      the Hammock Camping Newsletters for a fun late-summer weekend.
      Previous trips were run in Feb and April of this year and we had a
      lot of fun; this is another chance for hammockers to show their
      stuff, share ideas, learn from others, and be a part of the 'new
      way'. Meet old friends and make new ones! Check out the newest stay-
      warm gear! Everyone will be responsible for his or her own
      transportation, gear, food and behavior; however, we will meet at the
      trailhead and hike in together.

      The plan is to camp on the famous Mountains-To-Sea Trail along North
      Harper Creek in the Pisgah National Forest near Mortimer, Caldwell
      Co, NC (between Blowing Rock and Lenoir, NC; about 40 miles NW of
      Hickory, 20 miles NW of Lenoir, and 15 miles north of Morganton, NC.
      Access is via Interstate 40, NC-181 or US-321). This area, The
      Wilson Creek Wild and Scenic River area is NC's secret wilderness
      treasure with numerous unspoiled mountain streams and spectacular
      waterfalls.

      We will hike in 4 miles along the beautiful cascading North Harper
      Creek, a tributary of Wilson Creek. We will camp Saturday nite and
      hike out 1 mile on Sunday. We will shuttle a vehicle/s to each end.
      There will be plenty of time for visiting waterfalls and swimming in
      the creek.

      The hike requires 8 stream crossings--this means fording rocky
      streams in ankle-to knee-deep swift water! The water should still be
      comfortably warm with autumn just nipping at our heels. Fabric
      tennis shoes or sandals with secure straps are recommended for the
      crossings--wearing the same shoes for the hike in eliminates the need
      to change at each crossing. Extra dry shoes for camp are
      recommended. Expect one stream crossing on the way out Sunday.
      Carrying two hiking poles/staffs will make the crossings safer.

      Camp will be a large open grove of holly trees on a flat bench along
      the creek--plenty of room for up to 30 hammocks, plus unlimited space
      for tents or tarps. We will begin the hike at 11am on Saturday (plan
      for snack lunch at Harper Creek Falls, 1.3 miles in). The 4-mile hike
      in on Saturday is moderate, while the 1-mile hike out on Sunday is
      strenuous. We will shuttle back to the cars by mid-day on Sunday.

      Expect daytime temps of 40-75F and nighttime temps of 25-50F. It's
      generally still quite warm and mild this time of the year, however
      passing cold fronts can drop the temperature significantly. Should
      fowl weather cause the trip to be canceled, notices will be emailed
      to individuals as well as posted on Hammock Camping-L

      Access is from Lenoir or Morganton, NC; both accessible via I-40
      and/or US-321. On I-40, Morganton is about 55 miles east of
      Asheville and 95 miles west of Winston-Salem. Detailed driving
      directions to the trailhead are given below.

      There are plenty of additional spectacular trails in this area for
      folks looking for more adventure before or after the weekend--hiking,
      kayaking, fishing, waterfalls, etc! Expect some early fall colors.

      Check out these links for info on the area:
      http://www.cs.unca.edu/nfsnc/recreation/wilson_creek.pdf
      This is an informative Adobe Acrobat article on Wilson Creek

      http://www.mountaintimes.com/summer/hiking5.php3
      Short info on Wilson Creek hiking

      http://www.ncwaterfalls.com/wilson_creek1.htm
      Waterfall pics! Harper Creek Falls is the one we will see!

      To purchase the trail map: Pisgah National Forest's Wilson Creek
      Trail Map
      http://www.ezflyfish.com/ncustrailmap.html
      This map covers all the trails in the area and I will have mine on
      the hike. The map is not required to attend the hike; but some folks
      just like to have their own. The nearest ranger station where you
      can buy the map is listed in the notes below.

      Access From I-40 (mileage is cumulative from exit 100 on I-40)

      0.0 Exit 100 (Jamestown Rd & Glen Alpine exit) on west side of
      Morganton, NC; service station
      Follow Jamestown Rd north (Glen Alpine is to the south)

      1.9 Jct Jamestown Rd & US-70; KFC, Taco Bell, gas station
      Continue north on Jamestown Rd thru traffic light

      2.8 Jct Jamestown Rd & NC-126 West; Jamestown Rd becomes NC-126 East
      Continue straight ahead thru traffic light on NC-126 East

      3.4 Jct NC-126 East & NC-181; restaurants, grocery stores, gas
      stations, drug store, K-Mart
      Turn left (west) onto NC-181 at traffic light; follow NC-181 west out
      of town

      14.0 Space gas station (small country store)--last chance for gas,
      check your gauge!

      14.1 Jct NC-181 & SR-1405 (Brown Mountain Beach Road--paved country
      road),
      Turn right (east) onto SR-1405 and pass Smyrna Baptist Church on
      left, continue east on SR-1405

      19.3 Jct SR-1405 & SR-1328 (watch for sign: Pisgah National Forest
      Campground--Mortimer)
      Turn left (north) onto paved SR-1328; follow north past Brown
      Mountain Beach campground, pavement ends, continue on gravel SR-1328
      parallel to Wilson Creek, note numerous pull offs for creek access

      26.7 Harper Creek Trailhead (trail # 260) on left (west) side of
      road--watch for small sign!; limited parking along road;
      meet here (It is 1.2 mi north to NC-90 at Mortimer)

      NOTES:
      For those driving south on NC-181, the jct with SR-1405 (Brown
      Mountain Beach Road--paved country road) is 2.6 mi south of the NC-
      181/Blue Ridge Parkway jct. Continue with directions above.

      For those driving south on US-321: take paved NC-90 west from Lenoir;
      at Collettsville, turn left (south) onto paved SR-1337; follow SR-
      1337 for 3.2 mi to right (north) turn onto paved SR-1328. Continue
      with directions above. Note: do not follow NC-90 all the way to
      Mortimer--it soon becomes a very curvy, long and narrow gravel road.

      Food, gas & motels available at I-40 exits 103 & 105; also at
      intersections along the US-64/US-70/NC-18 Truck Route around west
      side of Morganton; hospital at exit 105 (NC-18)

      For those approaching from the west on I-40---Exit 90 Nebo & Lake
      James Exit; US Forest Service Grandfather District Ranger Station
      located on access road on north side of Interstate; Wilson Creek Area
      Trail Map available for purchase

      We will meet at the Harper Creek Trailhead (trail #260) and shuttle
      some cars to the north trailhead. Hike begins at 11 am Saturday, Sep
      20. Do not leave valuables in parked cars.

      Signing up is not necessary, but letting me know will be appreciated--
      you may email me at: ed@... or call (828) 724-4444

      Hope to see everyone September 20th! ....Ed "Not To Worry" Speer
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 10, 2003
        Our next Hammock Hangers Campout is coming up weekend after next!
        Everyone is welcome! About 7 hammockers have already signed up so
        it's promissing to be a good turn out. The temps here in western NC
        have begun their slide toward Fall--ideal weather for camping is with
        us again! This will be an excellent oppurtunity to rub elbows with
        other hammockers and compare notes. Novice and expert alike will be
        there. This could be the last good camping weekend of summer.

        Each person is responsible for his/her own gear and food. You do not
        have to sign up--just show up at the trailhead at 11am on Sat
        (driving directions below). However, letting me know ahead of time
        that you're coming would be appreciated and means we will watch for
        you.

        appreciated--you may email me at: ed@s... or call (828) 724-4444

        > Hope to see everyone September 20th! ....Ed "Not To Worry" Speer
      • Mirage
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 11, 2003
          > Our next Hammock Hangers Campout is coming up weekend after next!
          > Everyone is welcome! About 7 hammockers have already signed up so
          > it's promissing to be a good turn out.

          Oh how envious I am...When can we plan one for the West Coast,
          preferably up in the PNW? Please, please, pretty please...

          > The temps here in western NC have begun their slide toward Fall--
          > ideal weather for camping is with us again!

          I sure miss the fall back east. I grew up in the Catskills, and I
          REALLY miss the cool, dry weather of the fall. As you say, ideal
          for hiking and camping.

          Hope you get good turnout and great weather. Have fun.

          Mirage (the other Shane)...
        • Thomas Peltier
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 11, 2003

            Oh how envious I am...When can we plan one for the West Coast,
            preferably up in the PNW? Please, please, pretty please...

            Sounds like those of us on the W.C. should plan our own little get together.  I’m in California and on the Southern end So I’m thinking we should meet someplace in the middle.

            Tom

            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 11, 2003
              Message
              Good idea Mirage...anyone can host a Hammock Hangers Association campout--anywhere, anytime.  So, next time you're headed out with the o' hammock--announce it on the list and before you know it, you've got a group together!  It really is that easy--OK it may help to know the route and campsite well enough to be sure it is suitable for everyone.  Or if headed into unfamiliar country, you could limit it to experienced hammockers only.  Either way, it really is fun to get a bunch of hammock hangers together!  The gear talk is about as good as it gets!  And before it's over, you've found some great new friends!  Hope you can get out soon either with or without others...Ed

              Hammock Camping  (the book)
              The Complete Guide to Greater Comfort, Convenience and Freedom

              Speer Hammocks, Inc
              Camping Hammocks for the Adventure Traveler
              34 Clear Creek Road
              Marion, NC 28752-6407
              828.724.4444

              Hammock Camping News (Monthly e-zine)
              free online newsletter

              Hammock Camping-L (email List)
              a free open discussion group  Learn from the experts

            • karens62@aol.com
              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 11, 2003
                Ed wrote:

                "anyone can host a Hammock Hangers Association campout--anywhere, anytime.  So, next time you're headed out with the o' hammock--announce it on the list and before you know it, you've got a group together!  It really is that easy--OK it may help to know the route and campsite well enough to be sure it is suitable for everyone."

                And Ed and I have lots and lots of frequent flyer miles so you never know who might show up!

                Karen
              • Thomas Peltier
                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 11, 2003
                  Message

                  Good idea Mirage...anyone can host a Hammock Hangers Association campout--anywhere, anytime.  So, next time you're headed out with the o' hammock--announce it on the list and before you know it, you've got a group together!  It really is that easy--OK it may help to know the route and campsite well enough to be sure it is suitable for everyone.  Or if headed into unfamiliar country, you could limit it to experienced hammockers only.  Either way, it really is fun to get a bunch of hammock hangers together!  The gear talk is about as good as it gets!  And before it's over, you've found some great new friends!  Hope you can get out soon either with or without others...Ed

                   In that case I’m headed to Mineral King this weekend if anybody wants to join me.  We will be leaving from the Mineral King trail head past the Ranger station.  The target is Eagle lake but we are talking about going to the last of the Mosquito lakes.  If anybody is interested let me know and we can firm up our plans so as to be found or joined.

                  Tom

                  Message 8 of 15 , Sep 14, 2003
                    We currently have 7 hammock hangers signed up for our overnight
                    campout next Saturday, so it promisses to be a good group. Everyone
                    is welcome--see message 2835 or the Sep newsletter for details.

                    We're watching hurrican Isabel very closely! Today, Sunday, it
                    appears it will pass to the east on Fri well before our trip on Sat.
                    However it could dump rain causing the creek crossings to be
                    impassable--will keep an eye on the storm and post updates as
                    needed...Ed
                    Message 9 of 15 , Sep 17, 2003
                      > We currently have 7 hammock hangers signed up for our overnight
                      > campout next Saturday, so it promisses to be a good group.
                      Everyone
                      > is welcome--see message 2835 or the Sep newsletter for details.
                      >
                      > We're watching hurrican Isabel very closely! Today, Sunday, it
                      > appears it will pass to the east on Fri well before our trip on
                      Sat.
                      > However it could dump rain causing the creek crossings to be
                      > impassable--will keep an eye on the storm and post updates as
                      > needed...Ed

                      Good News Hammock Hangers! Hurricane Isabel will pass well to the
                      east of us, so I don't expect her to interfer with our campout this
                      weekend. She is projected to hit the coast of NC mid day tomorrow,
                      Thursday, and then pass to the north being completely out of NC by
                      Friday am. We may get some wind and rain (50% chance) in west
                      central NC on Thurday, but it should all be over by Fri and the
                      weekend is forecast to be sunny, hi's in 80's and lows in 60's--
                      perfect for our campout! So I will be at the trailhead as planned at
                      11:00 am Sat--Hope to see everyone there! See message 2293 or 2835
                      or the Aug or Sep Newsletters for trip description and driving
                      directions...Ed
                      Message 10 of 15 , Sep 18, 2003
                        Isabel is gone! Actually she hardly even got here--so our Hammock
                        Hangers Campout this Saturday is still on! We got some high clouds
                        and 12 mph winds here in western NC; didn't even get any rain.
                        Eastern NC was not so lucky...

                        The forecast for Sat and Sun is "partly cloudy, hi 80, lo 60" We can
                        expect maybe 50F low since we will camp beside a mountain stream.
                        Even so, Isabel is leaving very warm air behind, making out campout
                        weather just about perfect!

                        Remember everyone is welcome--currently we have 6 signed up. If
                        interested, the trip description and driving directions can be found
                        in message 2293 in the archives at:
                        or the September newsletter at:
                        http://www.hammockcamping.com/Newsletters/Sep2003.htm

                        Join us for summer's last hurrah! ...Ed
                        Message 11 of 15 , Sep 22, 2003
                          The weather was perfect for our Hammock Hangers trip this past
                          weekend! Early Fall temps, bright sunny skies during the day, and
                          starry skies at night made the campout enjoyable and peaceful. Karen
                          and I hiked in from the north trailhead Friday night and set up our
                          hammocks in the dark; on Sat am, I hiked out and drove to the south
                          trailhead where I met Susan and Trey. After shuttling a car back to
                          the north trailhead, the three of us hiked the 4 miles north along
                          North Harper Creek to our campsite. It wasn't long before Trey
                          pulled out some of Susan's wonder cake and I was hooked (see the
                          recipe for this 'Candied Light Fruitcake' in message 2931). Thanks
                          Susan!

                          We arrived mid afternoon and rejoined Karen, who was spending a long-
                          overdue relaxing day in camp--napping, reading, and cooling off in
                          the creek. We quickly set up a hammock for Susan, who got her first
                          taste of the good camp life--she soon was swinging like a pro! Trey,
                          also tried the hammock and agreed on it's comfort and convenience.
                          The rest of the afternoon was spend relaxing in camp and getting to
                          know each other. Conversation continued thru dinner and, as darkness
                          fell, around a small campfire. For the second night, Karen & I did
                          not set up our tarps--instead we enjoyed the stars thru the thick
                          canopy of Holly trees. Around 3am, the bright moon was out sending
                          shafts of soft pale light thru the trees. Waking up Sun am in an
                          open hammock, under the trees was quite remarkable--a few birds were
                          about, the creek was cascading nearby and all was right with the
                          world. After breakfast, we packed up and headed out, reaching the
                          car by 11; soon it was time to say goodby. All the best to Susan and
                          Trey for joining us--we hope to see you again.

                          Several folks had to cancel out of this trip at the last minute--
                          sorry you didn't make it, but we plan to do another one soon.
                          Perhaps a cold weather campout in Dec. ...Ed & Karen

                          > Hope to see everyone September 20th! ....Ed "Not To Worry" Speer
                        • Coy
                          Message 12 of 15 , Sep 22, 2003
                            Hi Ed

                            Sounds like a great trip. I looked some of the pictures of the area
                            and it sure is a nice location. I would have loved to join in.
                            Sounds like I missed some good eating, swimming, hiking, and just
                            plain old campfire talk. It would have neen nice to see you and
                            Karen again and meet the newcommers, Susan and Tray. Maybe next
                            time. Keep us posted on the possible location and date for a winter
                            gathering. I would be game if I can fit it in my schedual and
                            budget. Dang high gas prices.

                            Coy Boy
                            PS are yall going to post any pics?

                            Message 13 of 15 , Sep 22, 2003
                              Message
                              Hopefully Karen will post a couple of pics...Ed