pad on the bottom of an HH

  • simva4040
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 4, 2003
      I am thinking you are going to 'suspend' a Therm-a-rest below the HH?
      Well here is something you will discover- if the Therm-a-rest is
      fully inflated it will not comform to your body as it 'concavitates'
      the hammock material voids will form-creases if you will and via
      these creases cold air will enter the spaces below you.....if the
      Therm-A-rest is not fully inflated you will more closely approach the
      curve induced into the hammock material by your body....yet there are
      other problems:
      1. the Thermarest is not nearly wide enough to prevent the HH from
      wrapping around your insulation within the hammock (be it a quilt or
      sleeping bag) compressing it and making it worthless for keeping your
      arms and shoulders warm.
      2. the Thermarest is insulative when on ground, because the ground is
      insulative to a major point,,,,but when suspended in the air-remember
      bridges freeze before roads- you will find that the thermarest is
      quite limited in its overall 'r' rating (personally I like k ratings
      better!)
      Good luck with the experiment, I went through that phase as well and
      have progressed through many variations of the underquilts and
      Garlington Tacos....in the end it will boild down to exactly how cold
      are you willing to camp/hike/backpack in.... and then there are the
      ironies....last week we flew out to Yellowstone to paddle-camp on
      Yellowstone Lake....we camped off the southeastern arm of the lake
      and guess what? nearly every tree available to suspend a hammock was
      either too young to support us or dead! The fires of '88 which
      destroyed 5 million acres of trees also removed hammocking as a
      possibility for us...luckily we had a tent for 'just in case'....but
      the taco was there as well as an underquilt fashion from a Golite Fur!