foam pad on bottom of HH

  • ciyd01
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 3, 2003
      I have an idea and was wondering if anyone had tried this before.
      The closed cell foam pad is required for insulation but does it need
      to be IN the hammock? I was thinking that I could put a couple of
      shock cords or some thin elastic straps across the bottom of the
      hammock and slide the pads between them and the hammock bottom. This
      is similar to the double bottom hammock idea but without the weight
      of the extra layer of material. The elastic would hold the pad tight
      against the hammock bottom, providing insulation, and I could enjoy
      rolling around unencumbered in the hammock.

      If this works, I think I have an idea for the
      insulator/underquilt/closed cell foam pad that would weigh less than
      the combination for cold weather hiking and wouldn't be all that
      difficult to make. The shock cord thing would also be a simple
      retrofit on any hammock. Anybody try this in a Hennessey Hammock yet?

      ciyd
    • ptoddf@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 4, 2003
        Ciyd,

        Good luck on this one. I don't think it can be made to work, not with the firm, weight bearing foam of camping pads. Not conforming enough. But, try it anyway. Why not?

        I made a trial bottom quilt using Thinsulate sleeping bag insulation and cheap nylon lining fabric from JoAnnes's fabric stores. This works, but is heavy because it's not down, and has a lot of flaws to be addressed in my next attempt.

        Suggest you work in this direction. Bottom quilt has to conform to HH bottom and accomodate the flex and stretch of entry and rolling around in there. Not an easy thing. But yeh, just jumping in is incredibly much better than dealing with internal pads and reflectors. No condensation either. The HH bottom is breathable, enough so, anyway.

        Best, Todd in Tarzana.
      • ciyd01
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 4, 2003
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, ptoddf@a... wrote:
          > Ciyd,
          >
          > Good luck on this one. I don't think it can be made to work, not
          with the
          > firm, weight bearing foam of camping pads. Not conforming enough.
          But, try it
          > anyway. Why not?

          I was thinking of using a yoga mat, which is much more flexible and
          very grippy. I think this would conform much better than the blue
          foam camping pads. The therma rest pads would not work unless they
          were somewhat deflated.

          > I made a trial bottom quilt using Thinsulate sleeping bag
          insulation and
          > cheap nylon lining fabric from JoAnnes's fabric stores. This works,
          but is heavy
          > because it's not down, and has a lot of flaws to be addressed in my
          next
          > attempt.

          But JoAnn's is blowing out their Nylon and supplex fabrics for $2.99
          a yard, so it's a cheap way to do prototypes. Just check the end of
          the bolt for the fabric info.

          > Suggest you work in this direction.

          I'm looking at that, as well. Good luck with the underquilt!

          ciyd
        • chcoa
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 7, 2003
            I tried using shock cords to hold my neat sheet insulator bottom on
            with the pad inside, but it didn't work that well. The pad (which
            weight 16oz) was too heavy and there was too much sag away from the
            bottom of the hammock.

            I'd be interested in hearing how your experiment goes though.

            Jamie in AZ