Re: Hammock Camping 90 lbs?

  • Jamie
    Message 1 of 28 , Aug 1, 2003
      I think that's awsome you guys are making a commitment to weight
      loss. Better health is certainly a added bonus to that. My problem
      is more the middle. I hate ab exercises with a passion.
      Any exercise tips for that all you skinny hammockers???

      Jamie in AZ

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Bror8588@A... wrote:
      > J Cornelius,
      >
      > Good for you! I too have a plan to lose some weight before I
      tackle the AT
      > next spring. I am going the opposite tack and am including high
      amounts of fat
      > and protein and very low carbohydrates. No bread, sugar
      substitute, Lots of
      > Water, and care when it comes to which vegetables I include in my
      meal plans.
      > I started ten days ago and was 284 but today I am 273. Each day
      the scale
      > moves down. Very encouraging.
      >
      > When I get on the trail and energy requirements increase
      dramatically I will
      > adjust to meet the need. "Big Red" began the AT when he weighed
      345 and lost
      > as he hiked but I read someone's thought that the better shape one
      is in when
      > they begin the less expensive the trail will be for there will be
      less need
      > for stops, the trail will be completed faster, clothing size will
      not be
      > dramatically changed, etc., and so I decided to start now to lose
      weight rather than
      > next April.
      >
      > Probably any plan to change eating habits will work as long as you
      are
      > consistent.
      >
      > Jack
    • robi dawson
      Message 2 of 28 , Aug 1, 2003
        Folks,

        a friend was over yesterday and intrigued by my hammocking story from the
        summer.

        She asked to see the hammock in action.

        well, what's a boy to do?

        i hung the hammock, she climbed in, of course only after 3 of her kids and
        two of mine tried it out.

        She now wants to go on any and all camping, canoeing trips we go on because
        a hammock is comfortable and tents are not... see tents and uncomfy nights
        have been keeping her away from enjoying the outdoors for years...

        Robi
      • amy
        Message 3 of 28 , Aug 2, 2003
          On Saturday, August 2, 2003, at 01:37 AM, Jamie wrote:

          > I think that's awsome you guys are making a commitment to weight
          > loss. Better health is certainly a added bonus to that. My problem
          > is more the middle. I hate ab exercises with a passion.
          > Any exercise tips for that all you skinny hammockers???

          I hate them too. I think the best way to exercise your abs
          is to find an activity which you like which also exercises them.
          Like aikido. Or horseback riding. (In my case.) :)

          I am not a winter person so in winter I go to a gym to get
          my exercise, but the rest of the year I like to get it while
          having fun.

          -amy
        • Risk
          Message 4 of 28 , Aug 2, 2003
            > i hung the hammock, she climbed in, of course only after 3 of her
            kids and
            > two of mine tried it out.
            >
            > She now wants to go on any and all camping, canoeing trips we go on
            because
            > a hammock is comfortable and tents are not...

            Great story Robi!!

            Risk