RE: Hammock Camping Help sewing velcro on Speer hammock

  • Chester Clocksin
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 1, 2003
      Shane, thanks for the suggestions. I'll see if I can find some wax for the thread, and I'm not sure what kind of needle I have. Thanks for the info.

      Chet

      Shane Steinkamp <shane@...> wrote:
      > I'm about 80% finished with my Home made speer hammock, but
      > having a problem sewing the velcro to the bugnet. No
      > problem at all sewing the soft side of the velco to the
      > nylon hammock body, but sewing the coarse side of the
      > velcro to the bug net causes a birds nest on the bottom
      > side of the stitching everytime. I've tried both straight
      > stitch and zig-zag, with no success. I'm new to sewing, so
      > I figure out of all the hammock making experts on this
      > list, someone must know a trick for sewing Velcro onto bug
      > netting. Anybody?

      Couple of things...

      Make sure your needle is clean and sharp.  Use a thinner needle.  Make sure
      you're using a round needle, and not a bladed needle.  Make sure your bobbin
      tension isn't too tight.  Make sure your thread tension is tight enough.
      Wax your thread, or use a liquid thread wax.  Put a lot of tension on your
      material.

      Shane

    • Risk
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 1, 2003
        Everything Shane said, and have several back up needles. I have
        broken needles on hook velcro several times making hammocks. The
        plastic backing is pretty stiff.

        Rick

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Chester Clocksin
        <cclocksin@a...> wrote:
        > Shane, thanks for the suggestions. I'll see if I can find some wax
        for the thread, and I'm not sure what kind of needle I have. Thanks
        for the info.

        > Chet
        >
        > Shane Steinkamp <shane@t...> wrote:
        > > I'm about 80% finished with my Home made speer hammock, but
        > > having a problem sewing the velcro to the bugnet. No
        > > problem at all sewing the soft side of the velco to the
        > > nylon hammock body, but sewing the coarse side of the
        > > velcro to the bug net causes a birds nest on the bottom
        > > side of the stitching everytime. I've tried both straight
        > > stitch and zig-zag, with no success. I'm new to sewing, so
        > > I figure out of all the hammock making experts on this
        > > list, someone must know a trick for sewing Velcro onto bug
        > > netting. Anybody?
        >
        > Couple of things...
        >
        > Make sure your needle is clean and sharp. Use a thinner needle.
        Make sure
        > you're using a round needle, and not a bladed needle. Make sure
        your bobbin
        > tension isn't too tight. Make sure your thread tension is tight enough.
        > Wax your thread, or use a liquid thread wax. Put a lot of tension
        on your
        > material.
        >
        > Shane
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      • Chester Clocksin
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 2, 2003
          Finally finished my first Speer Hammock!
          Thanks everyone for the sewing tips. In the end, I took my typical shotgun approach, and did almost all of the things you all mentioned. I increased thread tension and foot tension, changed my needle, sewed on the narrow margin, and slowed WAY down. I finished the complete hammock Friday, and it's great! Thanks ED for the great instructions in your book, and for the items I purchased to make the hammock. The only modification I made was to make a double bottom, since my biggest compalint with my Hennessey was having to fight with a foam pad. The double bottom works really well, holds the pad in place, and keeps it from bunching up under me. I was sceptical at first about how comfortable the Speer Hammock would be compared to my Hennessey (and I love my Hennessey), but it is without a doubt just as comfortable, and IMHO, more versatile, thanks to the removeable bug net and large rain canopy. I don't have a sil-nylon rain canopy yet, (that will be my next purchase from ED), but using a mylar tarp made from a couple of space blankets, the additional coverage is really nice.

          Chet

          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 2, 2003

            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 4, 2003
              Message
              Glad your hammock turned out well Chet--thanks for the testimonial....Ed