Re: Hammock Camping Re: newbie query: changing clothing

  • robi dawson
    Message 1 of 28 , Aug 1 4:35 AM
      personally i could care less if anybody sees me ugly and very fat but!

      i will turn my back or step behind a tree, wait for somebody to pass etc but when i need to change i will do it.. here in Hugnary i often drop my swim suit at a beach and put on my clothes those who are offended should just not look....

      rob

      At 11:55 PM 7/31/03 +0000, Jamie wrote:
      As a woman and someone who is pretty modest, although much less as I
      age :) I was concerned with this too.  I'm a newbie to hammocking
      also, I've only used my about 3 times now.  I found that it's not so
      bad to change the upper half and the socks/shoes part in the hammock
      but the pants/shorts area is pretty impossible.  So far I've only
      used my hammock in dispersed camping situations so the group I was
      hiking with were the only other people around (well as far as I
      knew).  I just grabbed my clothes and walked off into the woods to
      change or stood behind a tree.  No biggy.  IF I'm in a campground,
      yuck!, I will just use my vehicle, or the restrooms or stand behind
      my tarp.  It's not really as troublesome as it seems.

      Good luck and I think you will enjoy hammocking.
      Jamie in AZ

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "tall2tango" <thbauer@t...>
      wrote:
      > I'm seriously contemplating a hammock to replace my tent, not so
      much
      > for the weight savings but for the comfort. I'm one of
      the "advanced
      > youth" group that has had back trouble for a long time and am
      looking
      > at hammocking as a way to get a more comfortable night's sleep. In
      > all the reading I've been doing on line at the various Hammock info
      > sites, I have not found an answer to the following question:
      >
      > How do you change clothes in a hammock? Or don't you?
      >
      > I have enough of a challenge inside a 1-man tent wriggling my 6ft.
      > plus body into clothing! I'm trying to picture how it is done in a
      > hammock without ending up on the ground unintentionally. :-)
      >
      > What works for you? TIA for your insights.
      >
      > ---
      > Ted

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
      5e732.jpg
      5e9d3.jpg

    • robi dawson
      Message 2 of 28 , Aug 1 5:00 AM
        i weigh in at a tad over kg. considering that 10 years ago i was a constant 65 kg that's a substantial gain. i really would like to loose at least 20-30 kg.

        i started biking instead of using the car and immediately lost weight. however, i have yet to pay attention to my diet at all, i eat what i like, when i like, as long as i ride or walk a few days a week i still loose some weight but when i am at home, working from my computer i gain back what i had lost..

        guess i just need to get off my fat butt literally and work/bike every single day... bet stretching would also help me feel better...

        so i know what to do and why i just have a hard time doing it....

        robi

        At 07:23 AM 8/1/03 -0400, you wrote:
        J Cornelius,

        Good for you!  I too have a plan to lose some weight before I tackle the AT next spring.  I am going the opposite tack and am including high amounts of fat and protein and very low carbohydrates.  No bread, sugar substitute, Lots of Water, and care when it comes to which vegetables I include in my meal plans.  I started ten days ago and was 284 but today I am 273.  Each day the scale moves down.  Very encouraging.

        When I get on the trail and energy requirements increase dramatically I will adjust to meet the need.  "Big Red" began the AT when he weighed 345 and lost as he hiked but I read someone's thought that the better shape one is in when they begin the less expensive the trail will be for there will be less need for stops, the trail will be completed faster, clothing size will not be dramatically changed, etc., and so I decided to start now to lose weight rather than next April.

        Probably any plan to change eating habits will work as long as you are consistent.

        Jack

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
        1d100e.jpg
        1d10bb.jpg

      • Jamie
        Message 3 of 28 , Aug 1 10:37 PM
          I think that's awsome you guys are making a commitment to weight
          loss. Better health is certainly a added bonus to that. My problem
          is more the middle. I hate ab exercises with a passion.
          Any exercise tips for that all you skinny hammockers???

          Jamie in AZ

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Bror8588@A... wrote:
          > J Cornelius,
          >
          > Good for you! I too have a plan to lose some weight before I
          tackle the AT
          > next spring. I am going the opposite tack and am including high
          amounts of fat
          > and protein and very low carbohydrates. No bread, sugar
          substitute, Lots of
          > Water, and care when it comes to which vegetables I include in my
          meal plans.
          > I started ten days ago and was 284 but today I am 273. Each day
          the scale
          > moves down. Very encouraging.
          >
          > When I get on the trail and energy requirements increase
          dramatically I will
          > adjust to meet the need. "Big Red" began the AT when he weighed
          345 and lost
          > as he hiked but I read someone's thought that the better shape one
          is in when
          > they begin the less expensive the trail will be for there will be
          less need
          > for stops, the trail will be completed faster, clothing size will
          not be
          > dramatically changed, etc., and so I decided to start now to lose
          weight rather than
          > next April.
          >
          > Probably any plan to change eating habits will work as long as you
          are
          > consistent.
          >
          > Jack
        • robi dawson
          Message 4 of 28 , Aug 1 11:59 PM
            Folks,

            a friend was over yesterday and intrigued by my hammocking story from the
            summer.

            She asked to see the hammock in action.

            well, what's a boy to do?

            i hung the hammock, she climbed in, of course only after 3 of her kids and
            two of mine tried it out.

            She now wants to go on any and all camping, canoeing trips we go on because
            a hammock is comfortable and tents are not... see tents and uncomfy nights
            have been keeping her away from enjoying the outdoors for years...

            Robi
          • amy
            Message 5 of 28 , Aug 2 6:17 AM
              On Saturday, August 2, 2003, at 01:37 AM, Jamie wrote:

              > I think that's awsome you guys are making a commitment to weight
              > loss. Better health is certainly a added bonus to that. My problem
              > is more the middle. I hate ab exercises with a passion.
              > Any exercise tips for that all you skinny hammockers???

              I hate them too. I think the best way to exercise your abs
              is to find an activity which you like which also exercises them.
              Like aikido. Or horseback riding. (In my case.) :)

              I am not a winter person so in winter I go to a gym to get
              my exercise, but the rest of the year I like to get it while
              having fun.

              -amy
            • Risk
              Message 6 of 28 , Aug 2 7:21 AM
                > i hung the hammock, she climbed in, of course only after 3 of her
                kids and
                > two of mine tried it out.
                >
                > She now wants to go on any and all camping, canoeing trips we go on
                because
                > a hammock is comfortable and tents are not...

                Great story Robi!!

                Risk