Re: Hammock Camping Help sewing velcro on Speer hammock

    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 31, 2003
      I had to adjust the tension and slow down the sewing speed. My
      sewing machine manual had instructions/pictures showing which way to
      adjust the tension setting, depending on whether the stitching was
      messing up on the top or the bottom. Once I got it figured out it
      went pretty well. I wasn't good enough to sew on the thin barren
      margins of the velcro tape. I just used a straight stitch on one
      side and then put a second straight stitch on the other side.
      Sometimes when things don't go well, it is time to replace the needle
      and oil the machine.

      Youngblood

      > Chet, I'm not much of a sewing expert myself, but when this has
      happened
      > to me, it turns out to be a problem with the tension adjustment.
      > However this adjustment is very sensitive and often difficult to
      > adjust--make changes slowly only a bit at a time followed with
      several
      > minutes of sewing to give the machine time to readjust. Also are
      you
      > trying to keep the stitching on the thin barren margins of the
      Velcro
      > tape? Try to avoid stitching into or thru the hooks themselves--
      this is
      > somewhat difficult and requires close attention. Hopefully others
      on
      > the list will respond with better suggestions....Ed

      Velcro
      > onto bug netting. Anybody?
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Chet
      >
      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=256694.3651271.4917408.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17
      05

      065843:HM/A=1688501/R=0/SIG=11if1rb57/*http://webevents.yahoo.com/univ
      er
      > sal/seabiscuit/>
      >
      > <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?
      M=256694.3651271.4917408.1261774/D=egrou
      > pmail/S=:HM/A=1688501/rand=150339861>

      > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
    • Chester Clocksin
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 1, 2003
        Shane, thanks for the suggestions. I'll see if I can find some wax for the thread, and I'm not sure what kind of needle I have. Thanks for the info.

        Chet

        Shane Steinkamp <shane@...> wrote:
        > I'm about 80% finished with my Home made speer hammock, but
        > having a problem sewing the velcro to the bugnet. No
        > problem at all sewing the soft side of the velco to the
        > nylon hammock body, but sewing the coarse side of the
        > velcro to the bug net causes a birds nest on the bottom
        > side of the stitching everytime. I've tried both straight
        > stitch and zig-zag, with no success. I'm new to sewing, so
        > I figure out of all the hammock making experts on this
        > list, someone must know a trick for sewing Velcro onto bug
        > netting. Anybody?

        Couple of things...

        Make sure your needle is clean and sharp.  Use a thinner needle.  Make sure
        you're using a round needle, and not a bladed needle.  Make sure your bobbin
        tension isn't too tight.  Make sure your thread tension is tight enough.
        Wax your thread, or use a liquid thread wax.  Put a lot of tension on your
        material.

        Shane

      • Risk
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 1, 2003
          Everything Shane said, and have several back up needles. I have
          broken needles on hook velcro several times making hammocks. The
          plastic backing is pretty stiff.

          Rick

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Chester Clocksin
          <cclocksin@a...> wrote:
          > Shane, thanks for the suggestions. I'll see if I can find some wax
          for the thread, and I'm not sure what kind of needle I have. Thanks
          for the info.

          > Chet
          >
          > Shane Steinkamp <shane@t...> wrote:
          > > I'm about 80% finished with my Home made speer hammock, but
          > > having a problem sewing the velcro to the bugnet. No
          > > problem at all sewing the soft side of the velco to the
          > > nylon hammock body, but sewing the coarse side of the
          > > velcro to the bug net causes a birds nest on the bottom
          > > side of the stitching everytime. I've tried both straight
          > > stitch and zig-zag, with no success. I'm new to sewing, so
          > > I figure out of all the hammock making experts on this
          > > list, someone must know a trick for sewing Velcro onto bug
          > > netting. Anybody?
          >
          > Couple of things...
          >
          > Make sure your needle is clean and sharp. Use a thinner needle.
          Make sure
          > you're using a round needle, and not a bladed needle. Make sure
          your bobbin
          > tension isn't too tight. Make sure your thread tension is tight enough.
          > Wax your thread, or use a liquid thread wax. Put a lot of tension
          on your
          > material.
          >
          > Shane
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        • Chester Clocksin
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 2, 2003
            Finally finished my first Speer Hammock!
            Thanks everyone for the sewing tips. In the end, I took my typical shotgun approach, and did almost all of the things you all mentioned. I increased thread tension and foot tension, changed my needle, sewed on the narrow margin, and slowed WAY down. I finished the complete hammock Friday, and it's great! Thanks ED for the great instructions in your book, and for the items I purchased to make the hammock. The only modification I made was to make a double bottom, since my biggest compalint with my Hennessey was having to fight with a foam pad. The double bottom works really well, holds the pad in place, and keeps it from bunching up under me. I was sceptical at first about how comfortable the Speer Hammock would be compared to my Hennessey (and I love my Hennessey), but it is without a doubt just as comfortable, and IMHO, more versatile, thanks to the removeable bug net and large rain canopy. I don't have a sil-nylon rain canopy yet, (that will be my next purchase from ED), but using a mylar tarp made from a couple of space blankets, the additional coverage is really nice.

            Chet

            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 2, 2003

              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 4, 2003
                Message
                Glad your hammock turned out well Chet--thanks for the testimonial....Ed