RE: Hammock Camping Help sewing velcro on Speer hammock

  • Chester Clocksin
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 31, 2003
      Thanks Ed, I haven't tried to sew on the very thin margin, maybe that will do it. I have tried to adjust the needle thread tension, but I didn't run the machine any to allow it adjust, so I'll try that too.

      Ed Speer <info@...> wrote:
      Chet, I'm not much of a sewing expert myself, but when this has happened to me, it turns out to be a problem with the tension adjustment.  However this adjustment is very sensitive and often difficult to adjust--make changes slowly only a bit at a time followed with several minutes of sewing to give the machine time to readjust.   Also are you trying to keep the stitching on the thin barren margins of the Velcro tape?  Try to avoid stitching into or thru the hooks themselves--this is somewhat difficult and requires close attention.  Hopefully others on the list will respond with better suggestions....Ed

      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 31, 2003
        I had to adjust the tension and slow down the sewing speed. My
        sewing machine manual had instructions/pictures showing which way to
        adjust the tension setting, depending on whether the stitching was
        messing up on the top or the bottom. Once I got it figured out it
        went pretty well. I wasn't good enough to sew on the thin barren
        margins of the velcro tape. I just used a straight stitch on one
        side and then put a second straight stitch on the other side.
        Sometimes when things don't go well, it is time to replace the needle
        and oil the machine.

        Youngblood

        > Chet, I'm not much of a sewing expert myself, but when this has
        happened
        > to me, it turns out to be a problem with the tension adjustment.
        > However this adjustment is very sensitive and often difficult to
        > adjust--make changes slowly only a bit at a time followed with
        several
        > minutes of sewing to give the machine time to readjust. Also are
        you
        > trying to keep the stitching on the thin barren margins of the
        Velcro
        > tape? Try to avoid stitching into or thru the hooks themselves--
        this is
        > somewhat difficult and requires close attention. Hopefully others
        on
        > the list will respond with better suggestions....Ed

        <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=256694.3651271.4917408.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17
        05

        065843:HM/A=1688501/R=0/SIG=11if1rb57/*http://webevents.yahoo.com/univ
        er
        > sal/seabiscuit/>
        >
        > <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?
        M=256694.3651271.4917408.1261774/D=egrou
        > pmail/S=:HM/A=1688501/rand=150339861>

        > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
      • Shane Steinkamp
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 31, 2003
          > I'm about 80% finished with my Home made speer hammock, but
          > having a problem sewing the velcro to the bugnet. No
          > problem at all sewing the soft side of the velco to the
          > nylon hammock body, but sewing the coarse side of the
          > velcro to the bug net causes a birds nest on the bottom
          > side of the stitching everytime. I've tried both straight
          > stitch and zig-zag, with no success. I'm new to sewing, so
          > I figure out of all the hammock making experts on this
          > list, someone must know a trick for sewing Velcro onto bug
          > netting. Anybody?

          Couple of things...

          Make sure your needle is clean and sharp. Use a thinner needle. Make sure
          you're using a round needle, and not a bladed needle. Make sure your bobbin
          tension isn't too tight. Make sure your thread tension is tight enough.
          Wax your thread, or use a liquid thread wax. Put a lot of tension on your
          material.

          Shane
        • Chester Clocksin
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 1, 2003
            Shane, thanks for the suggestions. I'll see if I can find some wax for the thread, and I'm not sure what kind of needle I have. Thanks for the info.

            Chet

            Shane Steinkamp <shane@...> wrote:
            > I'm about 80% finished with my Home made speer hammock, but
            > having a problem sewing the velcro to the bugnet. No
            > problem at all sewing the soft side of the velco to the
            > nylon hammock body, but sewing the coarse side of the
            > velcro to the bug net causes a birds nest on the bottom
            > side of the stitching everytime. I've tried both straight
            > stitch and zig-zag, with no success. I'm new to sewing, so
            > I figure out of all the hammock making experts on this
            > list, someone must know a trick for sewing Velcro onto bug
            > netting. Anybody?

            Couple of things...

            Make sure your needle is clean and sharp.  Use a thinner needle.  Make sure
            you're using a round needle, and not a bladed needle.  Make sure your bobbin
            tension isn't too tight.  Make sure your thread tension is tight enough.
            Wax your thread, or use a liquid thread wax.  Put a lot of tension on your
            material.

            Shane

          • Risk
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 1, 2003
              Everything Shane said, and have several back up needles. I have
              broken needles on hook velcro several times making hammocks. The
              plastic backing is pretty stiff.

              Rick

              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Chester Clocksin
              <cclocksin@a...> wrote:
              > Shane, thanks for the suggestions. I'll see if I can find some wax
              for the thread, and I'm not sure what kind of needle I have. Thanks
              for the info.

              > Chet
              >
              > Shane Steinkamp <shane@t...> wrote:
              > > I'm about 80% finished with my Home made speer hammock, but
              > > having a problem sewing the velcro to the bugnet. No
              > > problem at all sewing the soft side of the velco to the
              > > nylon hammock body, but sewing the coarse side of the
              > > velcro to the bug net causes a birds nest on the bottom
              > > side of the stitching everytime. I've tried both straight
              > > stitch and zig-zag, with no success. I'm new to sewing, so
              > > I figure out of all the hammock making experts on this
              > > list, someone must know a trick for sewing Velcro onto bug
              > > netting. Anybody?
              >
              > Couple of things...
              >
              > Make sure your needle is clean and sharp. Use a thinner needle.
              Make sure
              > you're using a round needle, and not a bladed needle. Make sure
              your bobbin
              > tension isn't too tight. Make sure your thread tension is tight enough.
              > Wax your thread, or use a liquid thread wax. Put a lot of tension
              on your
              > material.
              >
              > Shane
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

            • Chester Clocksin
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 2, 2003
                Finally finished my first Speer Hammock!
                Thanks everyone for the sewing tips. In the end, I took my typical shotgun approach, and did almost all of the things you all mentioned. I increased thread tension and foot tension, changed my needle, sewed on the narrow margin, and slowed WAY down. I finished the complete hammock Friday, and it's great! Thanks ED for the great instructions in your book, and for the items I purchased to make the hammock. The only modification I made was to make a double bottom, since my biggest compalint with my Hennessey was having to fight with a foam pad. The double bottom works really well, holds the pad in place, and keeps it from bunching up under me. I was sceptical at first about how comfortable the Speer Hammock would be compared to my Hennessey (and I love my Hennessey), but it is without a doubt just as comfortable, and IMHO, more versatile, thanks to the removeable bug net and large rain canopy. I don't have a sil-nylon rain canopy yet, (that will be my next purchase from ED), but using a mylar tarp made from a couple of space blankets, the additional coverage is really nice.

                Chet

                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 2, 2003

                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 4, 2003
                    Message
                    Glad your hammock turned out well Chet--thanks for the testimonial....Ed