Re: Hammock Camping 90 lbs?

  • J Cornelius
    Message 1 of 28 , Jul 31, 2003
      Hi Robi - yes I'm serious - maybe when I can get my scanner working
      right (actually it probably wouldn't take much but I've been too lazy
      (well busy) do get it going) I'll upload a temporary before/after pic -
      I weighed 250 lbs when I started and I now weigh 160 (still got 20 I
      wanna drop but these last 20 are stubborn). All I did was watch my fat
      intake and drink LOTS and LOTS of water. I did this in a year's time.
      No chemicals or herbals of any sort either. I just made sure everything
      I ate had less than 3 grams of fat per serving. I did not do portions
      or weight measuring or any of that. Just looked at the calories in
      products and made sure the fat was at the very MOST under 25% of the
      calories. And started walking - it was when I got to the point I was
      going to backpack with my dad and realized that at 250 lbs I wasn't
      gonna get very far that I decided to get off my fat butt and make it
      skinnier 8-)

      Jodi

      robi dawson wrote:

      > Jodi
      >

      >> I am old but USED to be fat - have lost 90 lbs so I brag on what I can
      >> do! :-D
      >

      > you serious? how?
      >

      >> Jodi

      >> > Yeah, well try that when you're old and fat...
      >> >
      >> > Shane
      >> >
      >> > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
      >> >
      >> <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=259538.3625325.4914071.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705065843:HM/A=1695348/R=0/SIG=11u38u3s2/*http://hits.411web.com/cgi-bin/hit?page=1374-105951838331032>

      >> > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service
      >> > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.
      >>

      >> Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
      >> <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=194081.3551198.4824677.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705065843:HM/A=1663535/R=0/SIG=11ps6rfef/*http://www.ediets.com/start.cfm?code=30504&media=atkins>

      >> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service
      >> <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
      > <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=259538.3625325.4914071.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705065843:HM/A=1695348/R=0/SIG=11u38u3s2/*http://hits.411web.com/cgi-bin/hit?page=1374-105951838331032>

      > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.
    • Jamie
      Message 2 of 28 , Jul 31, 2003
        As a woman and someone who is pretty modest, although much less as I
        age :) I was concerned with this too. I'm a newbie to hammocking
        also, I've only used my about 3 times now. I found that it's not so
        bad to change the upper half and the socks/shoes part in the hammock
        but the pants/shorts area is pretty impossible. So far I've only
        used my hammock in dispersed camping situations so the group I was
        hiking with were the only other people around (well as far as I
        knew). I just grabbed my clothes and walked off into the woods to
        change or stood behind a tree. No biggy. IF I'm in a campground,
        yuck!, I will just use my vehicle, or the restrooms or stand behind
        my tarp. It's not really as troublesome as it seems.

        Good luck and I think you will enjoy hammocking.
        Jamie in AZ

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "tall2tango" <thbauer@t...>

      • Bror8588@AOL.com
        Message 3 of 28 , Aug 1, 2003
          J Cornelius,

          Good for you!  I too have a plan to lose some weight before I tackle the AT next spring.  I am going the opposite tack and am including high amounts of fat and protein and very low carbohydrates.  No bread, sugar substitute, Lots of Water, and care when it comes to which vegetables I include in my meal plans.  I started ten days ago and was 284 but today I am 273.  Each day the scale moves down.  Very encouraging.

          When I get on the trail and energy requirements increase dramatically I will adjust to meet the need.  "Big Red" began the AT when he weighed 345 and lost as he hiked but I read someone's thought that the better shape one is in when they begin the less expensive the trail will be for there will be less need for stops, the trail will be completed faster, clothing size will not be dramatically changed, etc., and so I decided to start now to lose weight rather than next April.

          Probably any plan to change eating habits will work as long as you are consistent.

          Jack

        • robi dawson
          Message 4 of 28 , Aug 1, 2003
            personally i could care less if anybody sees me ugly and very fat but!

            i will turn my back or step behind a tree, wait for somebody to pass etc but when i need to change i will do it.. here in Hugnary i often drop my swim suit at a beach and put on my clothes those who are offended should just not look....

            rob

            wrote:
            > I'm seriously contemplating a hammock to replace my tent, not so
            much
            > for the weight savings but for the comfort. I'm one of
            the "advanced
            > youth" group that has had back trouble for a long time and am
            looking
            > at hammocking as a way to get a more comfortable night's sleep. In
            > all the reading I've been doing on line at the various Hammock info
            > sites, I have not found an answer to the following question:
            >
            > How do you change clothes in a hammock? Or don't you?
            >
            > I have enough of a challenge inside a 1-man tent wriggling my 6ft.
            > plus body into clothing! I'm trying to picture how it is done in a
            > hammock without ending up on the ground unintentionally. :-)
            >
            > What works for you? TIA for your insights.
            >
            > ---
            > Ted

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
            5e732.jpg
            5e9d3.jpg

          • robi dawson
            Message 5 of 28 , Aug 1, 2003
              i weigh in at a tad over kg. considering that 10 years ago i was a constant 65 kg that's a substantial gain. i really would like to loose at least 20-30 kg.

              i started biking instead of using the car and immediately lost weight. however, i have yet to pay attention to my diet at all, i eat what i like, when i like, as long as i ride or walk a few days a week i still loose some weight but when i am at home, working from my computer i gain back what i had lost..

              guess i just need to get off my fat butt literally and work/bike every single day... bet stretching would also help me feel better...

              so i know what to do and why i just have a hard time doing it....

              robi

              At 07:23 AM 8/1/03 -0400, you wrote:
[...]

              1d100e.jpg
              1d10bb.jpg

            • Jamie
              Message 6 of 28 , Aug 1, 2003
                I think that's awsome you guys are making a commitment to weight
                loss. Better health is certainly a added bonus to that. My problem
                is more the middle. I hate ab exercises with a passion.
                Any exercise tips for that all you skinny hammockers???

                Jamie in AZ

                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Bror8588@A... wrote:
                > J Cornelius,
                >
                > Good for you! I too have a plan to lose some weight before I
                tackle the AT
                > next spring. I am going the opposite tack and am including high
                amounts of fat
                > and protein and very low carbohydrates. No bread, sugar
                substitute, Lots of
                > Water, and care when it comes to which vegetables I include in my
                meal plans.
                > I started ten days ago and was 284 but today I am 273. Each day
                the scale
                > moves down. Very encouraging.
                >
                > When I get on the trail and energy requirements increase
                dramatically I will
                > adjust to meet the need. "Big Red" began the AT when he weighed
                345 and lost
                > as he hiked but I read someone's thought that the better shape one
                is in when
                > they begin the less expensive the trail will be for there will be
                less need
                > for stops, the trail will be completed faster, clothing size will
                not be
                > dramatically changed, etc., and so I decided to start now to lose
                weight rather than
                > next April.
                >
                > Probably any plan to change eating habits will work as long as you
                are
                > consistent.
                >
                > Jack
              • robi dawson
                Message 7 of 28 , Aug 1, 2003
                  Folks,

                  a friend was over yesterday and intrigued by my hammocking story from the
                  summer.

                  She asked to see the hammock in action.

                  well, what's a boy to do?

                  i hung the hammock, she climbed in, of course only after 3 of her kids and
                  two of mine tried it out.

                  She now wants to go on any and all camping, canoeing trips we go on because
                  a hammock is comfortable and tents are not... see tents and uncomfy nights
                  have been keeping her away from enjoying the outdoors for years...

                  Robi
                • amy
                  Message 8 of 28 , Aug 2, 2003
                    On Saturday, August 2, 2003, at 01:37 AM, Jamie wrote:

                    > I think that's awsome you guys are making a commitment to weight
                    > loss. Better health is certainly a added bonus to that. My problem
                    > is more the middle. I hate ab exercises with a passion.
                    > Any exercise tips for that all you skinny hammockers???

                    I hate them too. I think the best way to exercise your abs
                    is to find an activity which you like which also exercises them.
                    Like aikido. Or horseback riding. (In my case.) :)

                    I am not a winter person so in winter I go to a gym to get
                    my exercise, but the rest of the year I like to get it while
                    having fun.

                    -amy
                  • Risk
                    Message 9 of 28 , Aug 2, 2003
                      > i hung the hammock, she climbed in, of course only after 3 of her
                      kids and
                      > two of mine tried it out.
                      >
                      > She now wants to go on any and all camping, canoeing trips we go on
                      because
                      > a hammock is comfortable and tents are not...

                      Great story Robi!!

                      Risk