RE: Hammock Camping newbie query: changing clothing

  • Shane
    Message 1 of 28 , Jul 31, 2003
      > > I have a question of my own: Why would anyone EVER do this?
      > > Why would you even think to try changing clothes when rolling
      > > around in a tent?

      > It's cold out.

      Buck up. Unless it's -45 or so, you aren't going to freeze to death
      instantly.

      > It's wet out.

      Stand under the tarp.

      > It's muddy out.

      Well, now that would be a problem. So sit in the hammock, put the pants on
      up to your knees, put on your boots, stand up and finish dressing.

      > You want to surprise everybody with your cool new outfit.

      Can't argue with that.

      > If you let an unclothed part stick out of the hammock,
      > bugs will get it.

      Can't argue with that either...

      Shane
    • J Cornelius
      Message 2 of 28 , Jul 31, 2003
        Hi Robi - yes I'm serious - maybe when I can get my scanner working
        right (actually it probably wouldn't take much but I've been too lazy
        (well busy) do get it going) I'll upload a temporary before/after pic -
        I weighed 250 lbs when I started and I now weigh 160 (still got 20 I
        wanna drop but these last 20 are stubborn). All I did was watch my fat
        intake and drink LOTS and LOTS of water. I did this in a year's time.
        No chemicals or herbals of any sort either. I just made sure everything
        I ate had less than 3 grams of fat per serving. I did not do portions
        or weight measuring or any of that. Just looked at the calories in
        products and made sure the fat was at the very MOST under 25% of the
        calories. And started walking - it was when I got to the point I was
        going to backpack with my dad and realized that at 250 lbs I wasn't
        gonna get very far that I decided to get off my fat butt and make it
        skinnier 8-)

        Jodi

        robi dawson wrote:

        > Jodi
        >

        >> I am old but USED to be fat - have lost 90 lbs so I brag on what I can
        >> do! :-D
        >

        > you serious? how?
        >

        >> Jodi

        >> > Yeah, well try that when you're old and fat...
        >> >
        >> > Shane
        >> >
        >> > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
        >> >
        >> <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=259538.3625325.4914071.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705065843:HM/A=1695348/R=0/SIG=11u38u3s2/*http://hits.411web.com/cgi-bin/hit?page=1374-105951838331032>

        >> > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service
        >> > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.
        >>

        >> Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
        >> <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=194081.3551198.4824677.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705065843:HM/A=1663535/R=0/SIG=11ps6rfef/*http://www.ediets.com/start.cfm?code=30504&media=atkins>

        >> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service
        >> <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
        > <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=259538.3625325.4914071.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705065843:HM/A=1695348/R=0/SIG=11u38u3s2/*http://hits.411web.com/cgi-bin/hit?page=1374-105951838331032>

        > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.
      • Jamie
        Message 3 of 28 , Jul 31, 2003
          As a woman and someone who is pretty modest, although much less as I
          age :) I was concerned with this too. I'm a newbie to hammocking
          also, I've only used my about 3 times now. I found that it's not so
          bad to change the upper half and the socks/shoes part in the hammock
          but the pants/shorts area is pretty impossible. So far I've only
          used my hammock in dispersed camping situations so the group I was
          hiking with were the only other people around (well as far as I
          knew). I just grabbed my clothes and walked off into the woods to
          change or stood behind a tree. No biggy. IF I'm in a campground,
          yuck!, I will just use my vehicle, or the restrooms or stand behind
          my tarp. It's not really as troublesome as it seems.

          Good luck and I think you will enjoy hammocking.
          Jamie in AZ

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "tall2tango" <thbauer@t...>

        • Bror8588@AOL.com
          Message 4 of 28 , Aug 1, 2003
            J Cornelius,

            Good for you!  I too have a plan to lose some weight before I tackle the AT next spring.  I am going the opposite tack and am including high amounts of fat and protein and very low carbohydrates.  No bread, sugar substitute, Lots of Water, and care when it comes to which vegetables I include in my meal plans.  I started ten days ago and was 284 but today I am 273.  Each day the scale moves down.  Very encouraging.

            When I get on the trail and energy requirements increase dramatically I will adjust to meet the need.  "Big Red" began the AT when he weighed 345 and lost as he hiked but I read someone's thought that the better shape one is in when they begin the less expensive the trail will be for there will be less need for stops, the trail will be completed faster, clothing size will not be dramatically changed, etc., and so I decided to start now to lose weight rather than next April.

            Probably any plan to change eating habits will work as long as you are consistent.

            Jack

          • robi dawson
            Message 5 of 28 , Aug 1, 2003
              personally i could care less if anybody sees me ugly and very fat but!

              i will turn my back or step behind a tree, wait for somebody to pass etc but when i need to change i will do it.. here in Hugnary i often drop my swim suit at a beach and put on my clothes those who are offended should just not look....

              rob

              wrote:
              > I'm seriously contemplating a hammock to replace my tent, not so
              much
              > for the weight savings but for the comfort. I'm one of
              the "advanced
              > youth" group that has had back trouble for a long time and am
              looking
              > at hammocking as a way to get a more comfortable night's sleep. In
              > all the reading I've been doing on line at the various Hammock info
              > sites, I have not found an answer to the following question:
              >
              > How do you change clothes in a hammock? Or don't you?
              >
              > I have enough of a challenge inside a 1-man tent wriggling my 6ft.
              > plus body into clothing! I'm trying to picture how it is done in a
              > hammock without ending up on the ground unintentionally. :-)
              >
              > What works for you? TIA for your insights.
              >
              > ---
              > Ted

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
              5e732.jpg
              5e9d3.jpg

            • robi dawson
              Message 6 of 28 , Aug 1, 2003
                i weigh in at a tad over kg. considering that 10 years ago i was a constant 65 kg that's a substantial gain. i really would like to loose at least 20-30 kg.

                i started biking instead of using the car and immediately lost weight. however, i have yet to pay attention to my diet at all, i eat what i like, when i like, as long as i ride or walk a few days a week i still loose some weight but when i am at home, working from my computer i gain back what i had lost..

                guess i just need to get off my fat butt literally and work/bike every single day... bet stretching would also help me feel better...

                so i know what to do and why i just have a hard time doing it....

                robi

                At 07:23 AM 8/1/03 -0400, you wrote:
[...]

                1d100e.jpg
                1d10bb.jpg

              • Jamie
                Message 7 of 28 , Aug 1, 2003
                  I think that's awsome you guys are making a commitment to weight
                  loss. Better health is certainly a added bonus to that. My problem
                  is more the middle. I hate ab exercises with a passion.
                  Any exercise tips for that all you skinny hammockers???

                  Jamie in AZ

                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Bror8588@A... wrote:
                  > J Cornelius,
                  >
                  > Good for you! I too have a plan to lose some weight before I
                  tackle the AT
                  > next spring. I am going the opposite tack and am including high
                  amounts of fat
                  > and protein and very low carbohydrates. No bread, sugar
                  substitute, Lots of
                  > Water, and care when it comes to which vegetables I include in my
                  meal plans.
                  > I started ten days ago and was 284 but today I am 273. Each day
                  the scale
                  > moves down. Very encouraging.
                  >
                  > When I get on the trail and energy requirements increase
                  dramatically I will
                  > adjust to meet the need. "Big Red" began the AT when he weighed
                  345 and lost
                  > as he hiked but I read someone's thought that the better shape one
                  is in when
                  > they begin the less expensive the trail will be for there will be
                  less need
                  > for stops, the trail will be completed faster, clothing size will
                  not be
                  > dramatically changed, etc., and so I decided to start now to lose
                  weight rather than
                  > next April.
                  >
                  > Probably any plan to change eating habits will work as long as you
                  are
                  > consistent.
                  >
                  > Jack
                • robi dawson
                  Message 8 of 28 , Aug 1, 2003
                    Folks,

                    a friend was over yesterday and intrigued by my hammocking story from the
                    summer.

                    She asked to see the hammock in action.

                    well, what's a boy to do?

                    i hung the hammock, she climbed in, of course only after 3 of her kids and
                    two of mine tried it out.

                    She now wants to go on any and all camping, canoeing trips we go on because
                    a hammock is comfortable and tents are not... see tents and uncomfy nights
                    have been keeping her away from enjoying the outdoors for years...

                    Robi
                  • amy
                    Message 9 of 28 , Aug 2, 2003
                      On Saturday, August 2, 2003, at 01:37 AM, Jamie wrote:

                      > I think that's awsome you guys are making a commitment to weight
                      > loss. Better health is certainly a added bonus to that. My problem
                      > is more the middle. I hate ab exercises with a passion.
                      > Any exercise tips for that all you skinny hammockers???

                      I hate them too. I think the best way to exercise your abs
                      is to find an activity which you like which also exercises them.
                      Like aikido. Or horseback riding. (In my case.) :)

                      I am not a winter person so in winter I go to a gym to get
                      my exercise, but the rest of the year I like to get it while
                      having fun.

                      -amy
                    • Risk
                      Message 10 of 28 , Aug 2, 2003
                        > i hung the hammock, she climbed in, of course only after 3 of her
                        kids and
                        > two of mine tried it out.
                        >
                        > She now wants to go on any and all camping, canoeing trips we go on
                        because
                        > a hammock is comfortable and tents are not...

                        Great story Robi!!

                        Risk