Re: Hammock Camping newbie query: changing clothing

  • amy
    Message 1 of 28 , Jan 5, 1970
      On Wednesday, July 30, 2003, at 09:23 PM, Risk wrote:

      > amy answered Shane's question about why would anyone ever want to
      > change in a tent:
      >>
      > "You want to surprise everybody with your cool new outfit."
      >
      > Now there is one I would have never come up with. After I have been
      > hiking with someone for 5 minutes, they have seen all (one) of my cool
      > outfits.

      Last year I carried a minidress for a week before anybody saw it. :)

      Just call me fashion plate.

      -amy
    • amy
      Message 2 of 28 , Jan 5, 1970
        On Wednesday, July 30, 2003, at 09:48 PM, karens62@... wrote:

        > amy wrote:
        >
        > <Last year I carried a minidress for a week before anybody saw it. :)
        >
        > Just call me fashion plate.>
        >
        > Hey Amy, wasn't that the hike you became near hypothermic and had to
        > borrow layers from multiple friends? It's hard to show off that pretty
        > dress when its 30* out on Mt. Rogers in May.

        Hey, it was three weeks worth of hike! Sure, it snowed, but it was
        *also* 80 and
        beautiful. :)

        On Mt. Rogers the only thing I was showing was Datto's fleece pants.
        Oh,
        and my new Mickey Mouse neck gaitor.

        -amy
      • karens62@aol.com
        Message 3 of 28 , Jul 30, 2003
          amy wrote:

          <Last year I carried a minidress for a week before anybody saw it. :)

          Just call me fashion plate.>

          Hey Amy, wasn't that the hike you became near hypothermic and had to borrow layers from multiple friends? It's hard to show off that pretty dress when its 30* out on Mt. Rogers in May.

          Karen
        • robi dawson
          Message 4 of 28 , Jul 31, 2003
            Jodi

            I am old but USED to be fat - have lost 90 lbs so I brag on what I can
            do! :-D

            you serious? how?

            Jodi

            Shane wrote:

            > > In my case, it's real simple - I'm only 5'3" tall - so I sit up
            > > in my hammock, put on my shirt, lie down, slide on my pants, arch
            > > my back, pull 'em up, fasten 'em and away I go.
            >
            > Yeah, well try that when you're old and fat...
            >
            > Shane
            >
            > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
            > <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=259538.3625325.4914071.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705065843:HM/A=1695348/R=0/SIG=11u38u3s2/*http://hits.411web.com/cgi-bin/hit?page=1374-105951838331032>

            > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
            4a124.jpg
            4a25f.jpg

          • uluheman
            Message 5 of 28 , Jul 31, 2003
              Silk is an easy way to carry fashion surprises. A long-sleeve silk
              shirt probably weighs just 2 oz and there are pants in the same
              league.

              At one wilderness spot I go to frequently, on a tropical beach eleven
              hard miles from civilization, most people are naked or nearly so all
              day long. When the sun goes down, though, the temperature drops a
              little bit and it's luxurious to take one last shower under the
              waterfall right beside the beach and then dress for dinner by donning
              our "evening clothes." I even have a red beret made of very light
              fleece!

              Brandon in Honolulu

              > Last year I carried a minidress for a week before anybody saw
              it. :)

              > Just call me fashion plate.
              >
              > -amy
            • Shane
              Message 6 of 28 , Jul 31, 2003
                > > I have a question of my own: Why would anyone EVER do this?
                > > Why would you even think to try changing clothes when rolling
                > > around in a tent?

                > It's cold out.

                Buck up. Unless it's -45 or so, you aren't going to freeze to death
                instantly.

                > It's wet out.

                Stand under the tarp.

                > It's muddy out.

                Well, now that would be a problem. So sit in the hammock, put the pants on
                up to your knees, put on your boots, stand up and finish dressing.

                > You want to surprise everybody with your cool new outfit.

                Can't argue with that.

                > If you let an unclothed part stick out of the hammock,
                > bugs will get it.

                Can't argue with that either...

                Shane
              • J Cornelius
                Message 7 of 28 , Jul 31, 2003
                  Hi Robi - yes I'm serious - maybe when I can get my scanner working
                  right (actually it probably wouldn't take much but I've been too lazy
                  (well busy) do get it going) I'll upload a temporary before/after pic -
                  I weighed 250 lbs when I started and I now weigh 160 (still got 20 I
                  wanna drop but these last 20 are stubborn). All I did was watch my fat
                  intake and drink LOTS and LOTS of water. I did this in a year's time.
                  No chemicals or herbals of any sort either. I just made sure everything
                  I ate had less than 3 grams of fat per serving. I did not do portions
                  or weight measuring or any of that. Just looked at the calories in
                  products and made sure the fat was at the very MOST under 25% of the
                  calories. And started walking - it was when I got to the point I was
                  going to backpack with my dad and realized that at 250 lbs I wasn't
                  gonna get very far that I decided to get off my fat butt and make it
                  skinnier 8-)

                  Jodi

                  robi dawson wrote:

                  > Jodi
                  >

                  >> I am old but USED to be fat - have lost 90 lbs so I brag on what I can
                  >> do! :-D
                  >

                  > you serious? how?
                  >

                  >> Jodi

                  >> > Yeah, well try that when you're old and fat...
                  >> >
                  >> > Shane
                  >> >
                  >> > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                  >> >
                  >> <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=259538.3625325.4914071.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705065843:HM/A=1695348/R=0/SIG=11u38u3s2/*http://hits.411web.com/cgi-bin/hit?page=1374-105951838331032>

                  >> > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service
                  >> > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.
                  >>

                  >> Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                  >> <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=194081.3551198.4824677.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705065843:HM/A=1663535/R=0/SIG=11ps6rfef/*http://www.ediets.com/start.cfm?code=30504&media=atkins>

                  >> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service
                  >> <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.
                  >

                  > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                  > <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=259538.3625325.4914071.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705065843:HM/A=1695348/R=0/SIG=11u38u3s2/*http://hits.411web.com/cgi-bin/hit?page=1374-105951838331032>

                  > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.
                • Jamie
                  Message 8 of 28 , Jul 31, 2003
                    As a woman and someone who is pretty modest, although much less as I
                    age :) I was concerned with this too. I'm a newbie to hammocking
                    also, I've only used my about 3 times now. I found that it's not so
                    bad to change the upper half and the socks/shoes part in the hammock
                    but the pants/shorts area is pretty impossible. So far I've only
                    used my hammock in dispersed camping situations so the group I was
                    hiking with were the only other people around (well as far as I
                    knew). I just grabbed my clothes and walked off into the woods to
                    change or stood behind a tree. No biggy. IF I'm in a campground,
                    yuck!, I will just use my vehicle, or the restrooms or stand behind
                    my tarp. It's not really as troublesome as it seems.

                    Good luck and I think you will enjoy hammocking.
                    Jamie in AZ

                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "tall2tango" <thbauer@t...>

                  • Bror8588@AOL.com
                    Message 9 of 28 , Aug 1, 2003
                      J Cornelius,

                      Good for you!  I too have a plan to lose some weight before I tackle the AT next spring.  I am going the opposite tack and am including high amounts of fat and protein and very low carbohydrates.  No bread, sugar substitute, Lots of Water, and care when it comes to which vegetables I include in my meal plans.  I started ten days ago and was 284 but today I am 273.  Each day the scale moves down.  Very encouraging.

                      When I get on the trail and energy requirements increase dramatically I will adjust to meet the need.  "Big Red" began the AT when he weighed 345 and lost as he hiked but I read someone's thought that the better shape one is in when they begin the less expensive the trail will be for there will be less need for stops, the trail will be completed faster, clothing size will not be dramatically changed, etc., and so I decided to start now to lose weight rather than next April.

                      Probably any plan to change eating habits will work as long as you are consistent.

                      Jack

                    • robi dawson
                      Message 10 of 28 , Aug 1, 2003
                        personally i could care less if anybody sees me ugly and very fat but!

                        i will turn my back or step behind a tree, wait for somebody to pass etc but when i need to change i will do it.. here in Hugnary i often drop my swim suit at a beach and put on my clothes those who are offended should just not look....

                        rob

                        wrote:
                        > I'm seriously contemplating a hammock to replace my tent, not so
                        much
                        > for the weight savings but for the comfort. I'm one of
                        the "advanced
                        > youth" group that has had back trouble for a long time and am
                        looking
                        > at hammocking as a way to get a more comfortable night's sleep. In
                        > all the reading I've been doing on line at the various Hammock info
                        > sites, I have not found an answer to the following question:
                        >
                        > How do you change clothes in a hammock? Or don't you?
                        >
                        > I have enough of a challenge inside a 1-man tent wriggling my 6ft.
                        > plus body into clothing! I'm trying to picture how it is done in a
                        > hammock without ending up on the ground unintentionally. :-)
                        >
                        > What works for you? TIA for your insights.
                        >
                        > ---
                        > Ted

                        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                        5e732.jpg
                        5e9d3.jpg

                      • robi dawson
                        Message 11 of 28 , Aug 1, 2003
                          i weigh in at a tad over kg. considering that 10 years ago i was a constant 65 kg that's a substantial gain. i really would like to loose at least 20-30 kg.

                          i started biking instead of using the car and immediately lost weight. however, i have yet to pay attention to my diet at all, i eat what i like, when i like, as long as i ride or walk a few days a week i still loose some weight but when i am at home, working from my computer i gain back what i had lost..

                          guess i just need to get off my fat butt literally and work/bike every single day... bet stretching would also help me feel better...

                          so i know what to do and why i just have a hard time doing it....

                          robi

                          At 07:23 AM 8/1/03 -0400, you wrote:
[...]

                          1d100e.jpg
                          1d10bb.jpg

                        • Jamie
                          Message 12 of 28 , Aug 1, 2003
                            I think that's awsome you guys are making a commitment to weight
                            loss. Better health is certainly a added bonus to that. My problem
                            is more the middle. I hate ab exercises with a passion.
                            Any exercise tips for that all you skinny hammockers???

                            Jamie in AZ

                            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Bror8588@A... wrote:
                            > J Cornelius,
                            >
                            > Good for you! I too have a plan to lose some weight before I
                            tackle the AT
                            > next spring. I am going the opposite tack and am including high
                            amounts of fat
                            > and protein and very low carbohydrates. No bread, sugar
                            substitute, Lots of
                            > Water, and care when it comes to which vegetables I include in my
                            meal plans.
                            > I started ten days ago and was 284 but today I am 273. Each day
                            the scale
                            > moves down. Very encouraging.
                            >
                            > When I get on the trail and energy requirements increase
                            dramatically I will
                            > adjust to meet the need. "Big Red" began the AT when he weighed
                            345 and lost
                            > as he hiked but I read someone's thought that the better shape one
                            is in when
                            > they begin the less expensive the trail will be for there will be
                            less need
                            > for stops, the trail will be completed faster, clothing size will
                            not be
                            > dramatically changed, etc., and so I decided to start now to lose
                            weight rather than
                            > next April.
                            >
                            > Probably any plan to change eating habits will work as long as you
                            are
                            > consistent.
                            >
                            > Jack
                          • robi dawson
                            Message 13 of 28 , Aug 1, 2003
                              Folks,

                              a friend was over yesterday and intrigued by my hammocking story from the
                              summer.

                              She asked to see the hammock in action.

                              well, what's a boy to do?

                              i hung the hammock, she climbed in, of course only after 3 of her kids and
                              two of mine tried it out.

                              She now wants to go on any and all camping, canoeing trips we go on because
                              a hammock is comfortable and tents are not... see tents and uncomfy nights
                              have been keeping her away from enjoying the outdoors for years...

                              Robi
                            • amy
                              Message 14 of 28 , Aug 2, 2003
                                On Saturday, August 2, 2003, at 01:37 AM, Jamie wrote:

                                > I think that's awsome you guys are making a commitment to weight
                                > loss. Better health is certainly a added bonus to that. My problem
                                > is more the middle. I hate ab exercises with a passion.
                                > Any exercise tips for that all you skinny hammockers???

                                I hate them too. I think the best way to exercise your abs
                                is to find an activity which you like which also exercises them.
                                Like aikido. Or horseback riding. (In my case.) :)

                                I am not a winter person so in winter I go to a gym to get
                                my exercise, but the rest of the year I like to get it while
                                having fun.

                                -amy
                              • Risk
                                Message 15 of 28 , Aug 2, 2003
                                  > i hung the hammock, she climbed in, of course only after 3 of her
                                  kids and
                                  > two of mine tried it out.
                                  >
                                  > She now wants to go on any and all camping, canoeing trips we go on
                                  because
                                  > a hammock is comfortable and tents are not...

                                  Great story Robi!!

                                  Risk