Re: Hammock Camping newbie query: changing clothing

  • amy
    Message 1 of 28 , Jan 5, 1970
      On Wednesday, July 30, 2003, at 05:21 PM, Shane wrote:

      >> In my case, it's real simple - I'm only 5'3" tall - so I sit up
      >> in my hammock, put on my shirt, lie down, slide on my pants, arch
      >> my back, pull 'em up, fasten 'em and away I go.
      >
      > Yeah, well try that when you're old and fat...

      I wouldn't call me slender, and that's how I do it too.
      The arching is essentially the same exercise my chiropractor makes me
      do, but with pants adjustment.
    • amy
      Message 2 of 28 , Jan 5, 1970
        On Wednesday, July 30, 2003, at 02:36 PM, Shane wrote:

        >> How do you change clothes in a hammock? Or don't you?
        >>
        >> I have enough of a challenge inside a 1-man tent wriggling my
        >> 6ft. plus body into clothing! I'm trying to picture how it is
        >> done in a hammock without ending up on the ground
        >> unintentionally. :-)
        >
        > I have a question of my own: Why would anyone EVER do this? Why
        > would you
        > even think to try changing clothes when rolling around in a tent?

        It's cold out. It's wet out. It's muddy out. You want to surprise
        everybody
        with your cool new outfit. If you let an unclothed part stick out of
        the hammock,
        bugs will get it.

        Probably not all at once.

        > -amy
      • amy
        Message 3 of 28 , Jan 5, 1970
          On Wednesday, July 30, 2003, at 09:23 PM, Risk wrote:

          > amy answered Shane's question about why would anyone ever want to
          > change in a tent:
          >>
          > "You want to surprise everybody with your cool new outfit."
          >
          > Now there is one I would have never come up with. After I have been
          > hiking with someone for 5 minutes, they have seen all (one) of my cool
          > outfits.

          Last year I carried a minidress for a week before anybody saw it. :)

          Just call me fashion plate.

          -amy
        • amy
          Message 4 of 28 , Jan 5, 1970
            On Wednesday, July 30, 2003, at 09:48 PM, karens62@... wrote:

            > amy wrote:
            >
            > <Last year I carried a minidress for a week before anybody saw it. :)
            >
            > Just call me fashion plate.>
            >
            > Hey Amy, wasn't that the hike you became near hypothermic and had to
            > borrow layers from multiple friends? It's hard to show off that pretty
            > dress when its 30* out on Mt. Rogers in May.

            Hey, it was three weeks worth of hike! Sure, it snowed, but it was
            *also* 80 and
            beautiful. :)

            On Mt. Rogers the only thing I was showing was Datto's fleece pants.
            Oh,
            and my new Mickey Mouse neck gaitor.

            -amy
          • Shane
            Message 5 of 28 , Jul 30, 2003
              > In my case, it's real simple - I'm only 5'3" tall - so I sit up
              > in my hammock, put on my shirt, lie down, slide on my pants, arch
              > my back, pull 'em up, fasten 'em and away I go.

              Yeah, well try that when you're old and fat...

              Shane
            • J Cornelius
              Message 6 of 28 , Jul 30, 2003
                I am old but USED to be fat - have lost 90 lbs so I brag on what I can
                do! :-D

                Jodi

              • karens62@aol.com
                Message 7 of 28 , Jul 30, 2003
                  In a message dated 7/30/2003 8:52:37 AM Eastern Daylight Time, thbauer@... writes:

                  I have enough of a challenge inside a 1-man tent wriggling my 6ft.
                  plus body into clothing! I'm trying to picture how it is done in a
                  hammock without ending up on the ground unintentionally. :-)

                  Ted,

                  One of the beautiful tghings about the hammock is you can set up deeper into the woods than you can with a tent; you don't have to find an open spot.  Getting dressed in privacy isn't that big a deal if there's no one close enough to watch. Hopefully, if there is someone close enough, that person doesn't mind watching you get dressed :-)

                  Karen
                • Risk
                  Message 8 of 28 , Jul 30, 2003
                    amy answered Shane's question about why would anyone ever want to
                    change in a tent:

                    "You want to surprise everybody with your cool new outfit."

                    Now there is one I would have never come up with. After I have been
                    hiking with someone for 5 minutes, they have seen all (one) of my cool
                    outfits.

                    Rick
                  • karens62@aol.com

                      Message 10 of 28 , Jul 31, 2003
                        Jodi

                        I am old but USED to be fat - have lost 90 lbs so I brag on what I can
                        do! :-D

                        you serious? how?

                        Jodi

                        Shane wrote:

                        > > In my case, it's real simple - I'm only 5'3" tall - so I sit up
                        > > in my hammock, put on my shirt, lie down, slide on my pants, arch
                        > > my back, pull 'em up, fasten 'em and away I go.
                        >
                        > Yeah, well try that when you're old and fat...
                        >
                        > Shane
                        >
                        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                        > <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=259538.3625325.4914071.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705065843:HM/A=1695348/R=0/SIG=11u38u3s2/*http://hits.411web.com/cgi-bin/hit?page=1374-105951838331032>

                        > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.

                        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                        4a124.jpg
                        4a25f.jpg

                      • uluheman
                        Message 11 of 28 , Jul 31, 2003
                          Silk is an easy way to carry fashion surprises. A long-sleeve silk
                          shirt probably weighs just 2 oz and there are pants in the same
                          league.

                          At one wilderness spot I go to frequently, on a tropical beach eleven
                          hard miles from civilization, most people are naked or nearly so all
                          day long. When the sun goes down, though, the temperature drops a
                          little bit and it's luxurious to take one last shower under the
                          waterfall right beside the beach and then dress for dinner by donning
                          our "evening clothes." I even have a red beret made of very light
                          fleece!

                          Brandon in Honolulu

                          > Last year I carried a minidress for a week before anybody saw
                          it. :)

                          > Just call me fashion plate.
                          >
                          > -amy
                        • Shane
                          Message 12 of 28 , Jul 31, 2003
                            > > I have a question of my own: Why would anyone EVER do this?
                            > > Why would you even think to try changing clothes when rolling
                            > > around in a tent?

                            > It's cold out.

                            Buck up. Unless it's -45 or so, you aren't going to freeze to death
                            instantly.

                            > It's wet out.

                            Stand under the tarp.

                            > It's muddy out.

                            Well, now that would be a problem. So sit in the hammock, put the pants on
                            up to your knees, put on your boots, stand up and finish dressing.

                            > You want to surprise everybody with your cool new outfit.

                            Can't argue with that.

                            > If you let an unclothed part stick out of the hammock,
                            > bugs will get it.

                            Can't argue with that either...

                            Shane
                          • J Cornelius
                            Message 13 of 28 , Jul 31, 2003
                              Hi Robi - yes I'm serious - maybe when I can get my scanner working
                              right (actually it probably wouldn't take much but I've been too lazy
                              (well busy) do get it going) I'll upload a temporary before/after pic -
                              I weighed 250 lbs when I started and I now weigh 160 (still got 20 I
                              wanna drop but these last 20 are stubborn). All I did was watch my fat
                              intake and drink LOTS and LOTS of water. I did this in a year's time.
                              No chemicals or herbals of any sort either. I just made sure everything
                              I ate had less than 3 grams of fat per serving. I did not do portions
                              or weight measuring or any of that. Just looked at the calories in
                              products and made sure the fat was at the very MOST under 25% of the
                              calories. And started walking - it was when I got to the point I was
                              going to backpack with my dad and realized that at 250 lbs I wasn't
                              gonna get very far that I decided to get off my fat butt and make it
                              skinnier 8-)

                              Jodi

                              robi dawson wrote:

                              > Jodi
                              >

                              >> I am old but USED to be fat - have lost 90 lbs so I brag on what I can
                              >> do! :-D
                              >

                              > you serious? how?
                              >

                              >> Jodi

                              >> > Yeah, well try that when you're old and fat...
                              >> >
                              >> > Shane
                              >> >
                              >> > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                              >> >
                              >> <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=259538.3625325.4914071.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705065843:HM/A=1695348/R=0/SIG=11u38u3s2/*http://hits.411web.com/cgi-bin/hit?page=1374-105951838331032>

                              >> > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service
                              >> > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.
                              >>

                              >> Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                              >> <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=194081.3551198.4824677.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705065843:HM/A=1663535/R=0/SIG=11ps6rfef/*http://www.ediets.com/start.cfm?code=30504&media=atkins>

                              >> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service
                              >> <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.
                              >

                              > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                              > <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=259538.3625325.4914071.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705065843:HM/A=1695348/R=0/SIG=11u38u3s2/*http://hits.411web.com/cgi-bin/hit?page=1374-105951838331032>

                              > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.
                            • Jamie
                              Message 14 of 28 , Jul 31, 2003
                                As a woman and someone who is pretty modest, although much less as I
                                age :) I was concerned with this too. I'm a newbie to hammocking
                                also, I've only used my about 3 times now. I found that it's not so
                                bad to change the upper half and the socks/shoes part in the hammock
                                but the pants/shorts area is pretty impossible. So far I've only
                                used my hammock in dispersed camping situations so the group I was
                                hiking with were the only other people around (well as far as I
                                knew). I just grabbed my clothes and walked off into the woods to
                                change or stood behind a tree. No biggy. IF I'm in a campground,
                                yuck!, I will just use my vehicle, or the restrooms or stand behind
                                my tarp. It's not really as troublesome as it seems.

                                Good luck and I think you will enjoy hammocking.
                                Jamie in AZ

                                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "tall2tango" <thbauer@t...>

                              • Bror8588@AOL.com
                                Message 15 of 28 , Aug 1, 2003
                                  J Cornelius,

                                  Good for you!  I too have a plan to lose some weight before I tackle the AT next spring.  I am going the opposite tack and am including high amounts of fat and protein and very low carbohydrates.  No bread, sugar substitute, Lots of Water, and care when it comes to which vegetables I include in my meal plans.  I started ten days ago and was 284 but today I am 273.  Each day the scale moves down.  Very encouraging.

                                  When I get on the trail and energy requirements increase dramatically I will adjust to meet the need.  "Big Red" began the AT when he weighed 345 and lost as he hiked but I read someone's thought that the better shape one is in when they begin the less expensive the trail will be for there will be less need for stops, the trail will be completed faster, clothing size will not be dramatically changed, etc., and so I decided to start now to lose weight rather than next April.

                                  Probably any plan to change eating habits will work as long as you are consistent.

                                  Jack

                                • robi dawson
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Aug 1, 2003
                                    personally i could care less if anybody sees me ugly and very fat but!

                                    i will turn my back or step behind a tree, wait for somebody to pass etc but when i need to change i will do it.. here in Hugnary i often drop my swim suit at a beach and put on my clothes those who are offended should just not look....

                                    rob

                                    wrote:
                                    > I'm seriously contemplating a hammock to replace my tent, not so
                                    much
                                    > for the weight savings but for the comfort. I'm one of
                                    the "advanced
                                    > youth" group that has had back trouble for a long time and am
                                    looking
                                    > at hammocking as a way to get a more comfortable night's sleep. In
                                    > all the reading I've been doing on line at the various Hammock info
                                    > sites, I have not found an answer to the following question:
                                    >
                                    > How do you change clothes in a hammock? Or don't you?
                                    >
                                    > I have enough of a challenge inside a 1-man tent wriggling my 6ft.
                                    > plus body into clothing! I'm trying to picture how it is done in a
                                    > hammock without ending up on the ground unintentionally. :-)
                                    >
                                    > What works for you? TIA for your insights.
                                    >
                                    > ---
                                    > Ted

                                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                                    5e732.jpg
                                    5e9d3.jpg

                                  • robi dawson
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Aug 1, 2003
                                      i weigh in at a tad over kg. considering that 10 years ago i was a constant 65 kg that's a substantial gain. i really would like to loose at least 20-30 kg.

                                      i started biking instead of using the car and immediately lost weight. however, i have yet to pay attention to my diet at all, i eat what i like, when i like, as long as i ride or walk a few days a week i still loose some weight but when i am at home, working from my computer i gain back what i had lost..

                                      guess i just need to get off my fat butt literally and work/bike every single day... bet stretching would also help me feel better...

                                      so i know what to do and why i just have a hard time doing it....

                                      robi

                                      At 07:23 AM 8/1/03 -0400, you wrote:
[...]

                                      1d100e.jpg
                                      1d10bb.jpg

                                    • Jamie
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Aug 1, 2003
                                        I think that's awsome you guys are making a commitment to weight
                                        loss. Better health is certainly a added bonus to that. My problem
                                        is more the middle. I hate ab exercises with a passion.
                                        Any exercise tips for that all you skinny hammockers???

                                        Jamie in AZ

                                        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Bror8588@A... wrote:
                                        > J Cornelius,
                                        >
                                        > Good for you! I too have a plan to lose some weight before I
                                        tackle the AT
                                        > next spring. I am going the opposite tack and am including high
                                        amounts of fat
                                        > and protein and very low carbohydrates. No bread, sugar
                                        substitute, Lots of
                                        > Water, and care when it comes to which vegetables I include in my
                                        meal plans.
                                        > I started ten days ago and was 284 but today I am 273. Each day
                                        the scale
                                        > moves down. Very encouraging.
                                        >
                                        > When I get on the trail and energy requirements increase
                                        dramatically I will
                                        > adjust to meet the need. "Big Red" began the AT when he weighed
                                        345 and lost
                                        > as he hiked but I read someone's thought that the better shape one
                                        is in when
                                        > they begin the less expensive the trail will be for there will be
                                        less need
                                        > for stops, the trail will be completed faster, clothing size will
                                        not be
                                        > dramatically changed, etc., and so I decided to start now to lose
                                        weight rather than
                                        > next April.
                                        >
                                        > Probably any plan to change eating habits will work as long as you
                                        are
                                        > consistent.
                                        >
                                        > Jack
                                      • robi dawson
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Aug 1, 2003
                                          Folks,

                                          a friend was over yesterday and intrigued by my hammocking story from the
                                          summer.

                                          She asked to see the hammock in action.

                                          well, what's a boy to do?

                                          i hung the hammock, she climbed in, of course only after 3 of her kids and
                                          two of mine tried it out.

                                          She now wants to go on any and all camping, canoeing trips we go on because
                                          a hammock is comfortable and tents are not... see tents and uncomfy nights
                                          have been keeping her away from enjoying the outdoors for years...

                                          Robi
                                        • amy
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Aug 2, 2003
                                            On Saturday, August 2, 2003, at 01:37 AM, Jamie wrote:

                                            > I think that's awsome you guys are making a commitment to weight
                                            > loss. Better health is certainly a added bonus to that. My problem
                                            > is more the middle. I hate ab exercises with a passion.
                                            > Any exercise tips for that all you skinny hammockers???

                                            I hate them too. I think the best way to exercise your abs
                                            is to find an activity which you like which also exercises them.
                                            Like aikido. Or horseback riding. (In my case.) :)

                                            I am not a winter person so in winter I go to a gym to get
                                            my exercise, but the rest of the year I like to get it while
                                            having fun.

                                            -amy
                                          • Risk
                                            Message 21 of 28 , Aug 2, 2003
                                              > i hung the hammock, she climbed in, of course only after 3 of her
                                              kids and
                                              > two of mine tried it out.
                                              >
                                              > She now wants to go on any and all camping, canoeing trips we go on
                                              because
                                              > a hammock is comfortable and tents are not...

                                              Great story Robi!!

                                              Risk