Re: Hammock Camping Re: Risk's Quarterweight hammock question

  • Chester Clocksin
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 30, 2003
      Rick,
      Do you sew the curved edge straight across, so that only a portion of the curved edge is actually sewn to the hammock body?

      Chet

      Risk <geoflyfisher@...> wrote:
      Hi Scott,

      I assume you cut the bug net in the way I describe on the page.  To
      make it more clear, I have just drawn a picture of the bug net
      pattern here:

      http://www.flyfisher-kayaks.com/ultralite/hammockbugnetpattern.jpg

      The idea of course, is that the chord of the circle segment is the
      shortest distance across cloth in the whole hammock, so if anything
      is tight, it has to be.

      Did you start with the bug net like this?

      Rick
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Scott A. Ferguson"
      <fergusonsa@y...> wrote:
      > Question for Risk AKA flyfisher AKA Rick about your Quarterweight
      hammock.

      > I tried making your Quarterweight hammock recently and have not
      been able to
      > get the bug canopy to have the "ridge".  I have retied the knots
      about 5 or 6
      > times and have not been able to get the canopy to peak, it always
      just drapes
      > over the hammock.

    • Risk
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 30, 2003
        No,

        I pin that curved edge to the straight edge of the rectangular hammock
        cloth and sew the two together. Then the bugnet is included in the
        hammock knot as Scott mentioned. I do not shorten nor lengthen the
        cloth in that knot.

        Rick

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Chester Clocksin
        <cclocksin@a...> wrote:
        > Rick,
        > Do you sew the curved edge straight across, so that only a portion
        of the curved edge is actually sewn to the hammock body?

        > Chet
        >
        > Risk <geoflyfisher@y...> wrote:
        > Hi Scott,
        >
        > I assume you cut the bug net in the way I describe on the page. To
        > make it more clear, I have just drawn a picture of the bug net
        > pattern here:
        >
        > http://www.flyfisher-kayaks.com/ultralite/hammockbugnetpattern.jpg
        >
        > The idea of course, is that the chord of the circle segment is the
        > shortest distance across cloth in the whole hammock, so if anything
        > is tight, it has to be.
        >
        > Did you start with the bug net like this?
        >
        > Rick
        > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Scott A. Ferguson"
        > <fergusonsa@y...> wrote:
        > > Question for Risk AKA flyfisher AKA Rick about your Quarterweight
        > hammock.
        > >
        > > I tried making your Quarterweight hammock recently and have not
        > been able to
        > > get the bug canopy to have the "ridge". I have retied the knots
        > about 5 or 6
        > > times and have not been able to get the canopy to peak, it always
        > just drapes
        > > over the hammock.
        > >

        > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      • Chester Clocksin
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 30, 2003
          Rick, thanks for the clarification....makes perfect sense now.
          One more question for you:
          When making the double bottom of the hammock, you mention that you stich the layers together about 25 inches down the sides from each end. Does this keep the middle portion of the inside layer from sagging away from the outer layer? In my latest attempt at a double bottom, the inside layer seems too loose, even after pulling the ends of the inside layer an inch or so longer than the outside layer (which is pulled up about 2 inches). I was attempting to to just tie the double layer together without sewing them together at all. Seems the double bottom is going to very nice for holding a foam in place, if I could just get it right!

          Thanks,
          Chet

          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 30, 2003
            One side is sewn for the full length. The other side has the ends
            sewn just to make sure the ends of the pad don't pop out to the side.

            I sew the two identical sides right on top of each other. The inside
            surface always seems a little wrinkled until I get in, then it
            stretches out to tight.

            I routinely use either surface as the outside (downside) of the
            hammock, depending on which side I want to get out of the hammock once
            I tie it up to the trees. One can also make the two surfaces of
            different colors and choose one or the other to be on the outside to
            increase/decrease the stealth characteristics of the hammock. I do
            the choosing by turning the hammock upside down or rightside up.

            <cclocksin@a...> wrote:
            > Rick, thanks for the clarification....makes perfect sense now.
            > One more question for you:
            > When making the double bottom of the hammock, you mention that you
            stich the layers together about 25 inches down the sides from each
            end. Does this keep the middle portion of the inside layer from
            sagging away from the outer layer? In my latest attempt at a double
            bottom, the inside layer seems too loose, even after pulling the ends
            of the inside layer an inch or so longer than the outside layer (which
            is pulled up about 2 inches). I was attempting to to just tie the
            double layer together without sewing them together at all. Seems the
            double bottom is going to very nice for holding a foam in place, if I
            could just get it right!

            > Thanks,
            > Chet
            >
            > Risk <geoflyfisher@y...> wrote:
            > No,
            >
            > I pin that curved edge to the straight edge of the rectangular hammock
            > cloth and sew the two together. Then the bugnet is included in the
            > hammock knot as Scott mentioned. I do not shorten nor lengthen the
            > cloth in that knot.
            >
            > Rick
            >
            > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Chester Clocksin
            > <cclocksin@a...> wrote:
            > > Rick,
            > > Do you sew the curved edge straight across, so that only a portion
            > of the curved edge is actually sewn to the hammock body?
            > >
            > > Chet
            > >
            > > Risk <geoflyfisher@y...> wrote:
            > > Hi Scott,
            > >
            > > I assume you cut the bug net in the way I describe on the page. To
            > > make it more clear, I have just drawn a picture of the bug net
            > > pattern here:
            > >
            > > http://www.flyfisher-kayaks.com/ultralite/hammockbugnetpattern.jpg
            > >
            > > The idea of course, is that the chord of the circle segment is the
            > > shortest distance across cloth in the whole hammock, so if anything
            > > is tight, it has to be.
            > >
            > > Did you start with the bug net like this?
            > >
            > > Rick
            > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Scott A. Ferguson"
            > > <fergusonsa@y...> wrote:
            > > > Question for Risk AKA flyfisher AKA Rick about your Quarterweight
            > > hammock.
            > > >
            > > > I tried making your Quarterweight hammock recently and have not
            > > been able to
            > > > get the bug canopy to have the "ridge". I have retied the knots
            > > about 5 or 6
            > > > times and have not been able to get the canopy to peak, it always
            > > just drapes
            > > > over the hammock.
            > > >

            > > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

          • Scott A. Ferguson
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 31, 2003
              Yes I did cut the bugnet on the chord and sewed it to one side of the bottom 2
              pieces.

              Risk, you mention in another email that you can use either side of your hammock
              (sort of inside out) depending on which side you want to get out. Does that
              mean that when you tied the knots that the bugnet was gathered on one side
              (the sewn side) instead of laying over top the bottom (like an open book vs a
              closed book)? I was tying the knot with the bugnet folded over (like a closed
              book) and it does not look like it would "switch" sides easily. This might be
              part of my problem.

              Thanks again for posting your design. Feels great to make a camping hammock for
              about $15 CAD (already had the chiffon at home). I still have to get the
              webbing, but for now I am using some rope and a couple of old seatbelt straps
              for the trees.

              saF

              > Hi Scott,
              >
              > I assume you cut the bug net in the way I describe on the page. To
              > make it more clear, I have just drawn a picture of the bug net
              > pattern here:
              >
              > http://www.flyfisher-kayaks.com/ultralite/hammockbugnetpattern.jpg
              >
              > The idea of course, is that the chord of the circle segment is the
              > shortest distance across cloth in the whole hammock, so if anything
              > is tight, it has to be.
              >
              > Did you start with the bug net like this?
              >
              > Rick

              =====
              Scott A. Ferguson
              Halifax, Nova Scotia
              Canada

              http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
            • Risk
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 31, 2003
                Hi Scott,

                Does that
                > mean that when you tied the knots that the bugnet was gathered on
                one side
                > (the sewn side) instead of laying over top the bottom (like an open
                book vs a
                > closed book)? I was tying the knot with the bugnet folded over (like
                a closed
                > book) and it does not look like it would "switch" sides easily.
                This might be
                > part of my problem.

                I folded the bug net over the hammock bottoms, and then zigzag folded
                all the layers together before tying the knot. I know it does not
                look like it should work with the bug net on either side, but after it
                is knotted, it is nearly impossible to tell which side was originally
                up. Try it, you will see. In the tying of the knot, it is mainly
                important that the bug net, where it is sewn to the hammock edge, is
                tight. Any tightness of the bug net anywhere else in the knot tends
                to loosten this edge and takes away the tight ridge line.

                Many might think the bug net needs to be tight in the middle of the
                hammock. Not true. It is tighteness at the edge which is critical to
                the design.