Re: Hammock Camping newbie query: changing clothing

  • amy
    Message 1 of 28 , Jan 5, 1970
      On Wednesday, July 30, 2003, at 05:21 PM, Shane wrote:

      >> In my case, it's real simple - I'm only 5'3" tall - so I sit up
      >> in my hammock, put on my shirt, lie down, slide on my pants, arch
      >> my back, pull 'em up, fasten 'em and away I go.
      >
      > Yeah, well try that when you're old and fat...

      I wouldn't call me slender, and that's how I do it too.
      The arching is essentially the same exercise my chiropractor makes me
      do, but with pants adjustment.
    • amy
      Message 2 of 28 , Jan 5, 1970
        On Wednesday, July 30, 2003, at 02:36 PM, Shane wrote:

        >> How do you change clothes in a hammock? Or don't you?
        >>
        >> I have enough of a challenge inside a 1-man tent wriggling my
        >> 6ft. plus body into clothing! I'm trying to picture how it is
        >> done in a hammock without ending up on the ground
        >> unintentionally. :-)
        >
        > I have a question of my own: Why would anyone EVER do this? Why
        > would you
        > even think to try changing clothes when rolling around in a tent?

        It's cold out. It's wet out. It's muddy out. You want to surprise
        everybody
        with your cool new outfit. If you let an unclothed part stick out of
        the hammock,
        bugs will get it.

        Probably not all at once.

        > -amy
      • amy
        Message 3 of 28 , Jan 5, 1970
          On Wednesday, July 30, 2003, at 09:23 PM, Risk wrote:

          > amy answered Shane's question about why would anyone ever want to
          > change in a tent:
          >>
          > "You want to surprise everybody with your cool new outfit."
          >
          > Now there is one I would have never come up with. After I have been
          > hiking with someone for 5 minutes, they have seen all (one) of my cool
          > outfits.

          Last year I carried a minidress for a week before anybody saw it. :)

          Just call me fashion plate.

          -amy
        • amy
          Message 4 of 28 , Jan 5, 1970
            On Wednesday, July 30, 2003, at 09:48 PM, karens62@... wrote:

            > amy wrote:
            >
            > <Last year I carried a minidress for a week before anybody saw it. :)
            >
            > Just call me fashion plate.>
            >
            > Hey Amy, wasn't that the hike you became near hypothermic and had to
            > borrow layers from multiple friends? It's hard to show off that pretty
            > dress when its 30* out on Mt. Rogers in May.

            Hey, it was three weeks worth of hike! Sure, it snowed, but it was
            *also* 80 and
            beautiful. :)

            On Mt. Rogers the only thing I was showing was Datto's fleece pants.
            Oh,
            and my new Mickey Mouse neck gaitor.

            -amy
          • tall2tango
            Message 5 of 28 , Jul 30, 2003
              I'm seriously contemplating a hammock to replace my tent, not so much
              for the weight savings but for the comfort. I'm one of the "advanced
              youth" group that has had back trouble for a long time and am looking
              at hammocking as a way to get a more comfortable night's sleep. In
              all the reading I've been doing on line at the various Hammock info
              sites, I have not found an answer to the following question:

              How do you change clothes in a hammock? Or don't you?

              I have enough of a challenge inside a 1-man tent wriggling my 6ft.
              plus body into clothing! I'm trying to picture how it is done in a
              hammock without ending up on the ground unintentionally. :-)

              What works for you? TIA for your insights.

              ---
              Ted
              Message 6 of 28 , Jul 30, 2003
                Message
                Hi Ted, changing clothes in a hammock can be too challenging!  It can be done, but generally with too much difficulty.  I solve the problem by using a large tarp--my 8X10 is NOT attached to the hammock and thus can be pitched high enough above the hammock to allow me to stand up and still be totally protected from rain under the tarp!  The convenience of standing up under the tarp to change clothes, load/unload the pack, take a leak, etc is a major feature of this system.  Staying dry while doing camp chores is an absolute must in fowl weather.  I call it my stand-up shelter!  Hammocks with small tarps may lack these features.  Privacy of course can be an issue if other campers are around, but the tarp sides can be lowered enough to provide blockage if needed...Ed

                Message 7 of 28 , Jul 30, 2003
                  Hi Ed,

                  Thanx for the wisdom. That makes a lot of sense and sure beats being
                  a contortionist! Next thing I need to check out is the spacing of the
                  porch pillars to see if I have a place to practice setting up. A
                  quick measurement tonight will confirm that.

                  ---
                  Ted

                  > Hi Ted, changing clothes in a hammock can be too challenging! It
                  can be
                  > done, but generally with too much difficulty. I solve the problem
                  by
                  > using a large tarp--my 8X10 is NOT attached to the hammock and thus
                  can
                  > be pitched high enough above the hammock to allow me to stand up and
                  > still be totally protected from rain under the tarp! The
                  convenience of
                  > standing up under the tarp to change clothes, load/unload the pack,
                  take
                  > a leak, etc is a major feature of this system. Staying dry while
                  doing
                  > camp chores is an absolute must in fowl weather. I call it my
                  stand-up
                  > shelter! Hammocks with small tarps may lack these features.
                  Privacy of
                  > course can be an issue if other campers are around, but the tarp
                  sides
                  > can be lowered enough to provide blockage if needed...Ed
                • Risk
                  Message 8 of 28 , Jul 30, 2003
                    Hi Ted,

                    Yep, like Ed, I sit in the hammock to change a shirt, but end up
                    standing up to change pants. It's just easier that way.

                    Before hooking on to those porch pillars, remember that each of the
                    hammock support ropes/webbings can pull laterally with a force of
                    several hundred pounds. I'd hate to see the porch roof come down on
                    your head. If you think the post could stand 4 of the high school
                    football team linemen pushing on it, then it should be strong enough
                    to hold a hammock.

                    You may want to go find yourself a nice couple trees.

                    Rick

                    Message 9 of 28 , Jul 30, 2003
                      Hi Rick,

                      Hmmm, I sure hope those stone pillars will hold up! I'm a lousy stone
                      mason. It's really too bad I have but a big magnolia tree in the
                      yard, because it would be grand "hanging" out in its shade. :-)

                      I much appreciate the dressing info. It sounds less complex than I'd
                      envisioned, and LOTS easier than the wriggling I've been doing!

                      ---
                      Ted

                      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Risk" <geoflyfisher@y...>
                      wrote:
                      > Hi Ted,
                      >
                      > Yep, like Ed, I sit in the hammock to change a shirt, but end up
                      > standing up to change pants. It's just easier that way.
                      >
                      > Before hooking on to those porch pillars, remember that each of the
                      > hammock support ropes/webbings can pull laterally with a force of
                      > several hundred pounds. I'd hate to see the porch roof come down on
                      > your head. If you think the post could stand 4 of the high school
                      > football team linemen pushing on it, then it should be strong enough
                      > to hold a hammock.
                      >
                      > You may want to go find yourself a nice couple trees.
                      >
                      > Rick
                    • Shane
                      Message 10 of 28 , Jul 30, 2003
                        > How do you change clothes in a hammock? Or don't you?
                        >
                        > I have enough of a challenge inside a 1-man tent wriggling my
                        > 6ft. plus body into clothing! I'm trying to picture how it is
                        > done in a hammock without ending up on the ground
                        > unintentionally. :-)

                        I have a question of my own: Why would anyone EVER do this? Why would you
                        even think to try changing clothes when rolling around in a tent?

                        First, you're in the middle of nowhere. Second, everybody knows what you've
                        got. Just stand up and change your clothes.

                        Like Marsanne said, "Nobody is looking at your titties in the woods, and if
                        they are at your age, tell them, "Thank You!""

                        If you are in a known group, you can always holler, "I'm takin' my pants
                        down, and if ya'll don't want to be jealous, turn away."

                        If you are in an unknown group, or maybe in the Scouts or something, then
                        change your clothes where the latrine is. There must be some kind of
                        privacy for that which isn't inside a small tent...

                        Having said all that, I find that privacy in hammocks is better than in
                        tents and regular tarps. Changing clothes while rolling around in a hammock
                        is no harder than changing clothes while rolling around in a tent, and it's
                        easier on the bones. In reality, though, it isn't necessary to roll around
                        in the hammock to change clothes. It is better to stand inside the entrance
                        slit of a HH, and enjoy a private dressing room. People can see my legs,
                        and if they are very close they may be able to see through the bug netting,
                        but for the most part there is total privacy.

                        A user of any height can stand upright under the tarp (and inside the
                        entrance slit on a HH). This isn't a tent with a fixed height. You can hang
                        the hammock as high or as low as needed. Following the commonly recommended
                        'chair height' would accommodate any user from about 4' 6" (1.37 m) to about
                        6' 8" (2.03) - well within the range of a vast majority of the population.
                        (As noted, I prefer to hang mine higher.) Persons beyond that range would
                        have to adjust the height of the hammock accordingly.

                        If the hammock is rockin', don't come a knockin'...

                        Shane
                      • J Cornelius
                        Message 11 of 28 , Jul 30, 2003

                          tall2tango wrote:

                          > I'm seriously contemplating a hammock to replace my tent, not so much
                          > for the weight savings but for the comfort. I'm one of the "advanced
                          > youth" group that has had back trouble for a long time and am looking
                          > at hammocking as a way to get a more comfortable night's sleep. In
                          > all the reading I've been doing on line at the various Hammock info
                          > sites, I have not found an answer to the following question:
                          >
                          > How do you change clothes in a hammock? Or don't you?
                          >
                          > I have enough of a challenge inside a 1-man tent wriggling my 6ft.
                          > plus body into clothing! I'm trying to picture how it is done in a
                          > hammock without ending up on the ground unintentionally. :-)
                          >
                          > What works for you? TIA for your insights.
                          >
                          > ---
                          > Ted
                          >

                          > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                          > <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=259538.3625325.4914071.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705065843:HM/A=1695348/R=0/SIG=11u38u3s2/*http://hits.411web.com/cgi-bin/hit?page=1374-105951838331032>

                          > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.
                        • Shane
                          Message 12 of 28 , Jul 30, 2003

                            Message 13 of 28 , Jul 30, 2003
                              I am old but USED to be fat - have lost 90 lbs so I brag on what I can
                              do! :-D

                              Jodi

                            • karens62@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 28 , Jul 30, 2003
                                In a message dated 7/30/2003 8:52:37 AM Eastern Daylight Time, thbauer@... writes:

                                I have enough of a challenge inside a 1-man tent wriggling my 6ft.
                                plus body into clothing! I'm trying to picture how it is done in a
                                hammock without ending up on the ground unintentionally. :-)

                                Ted,

                                One of the beautiful tghings about the hammock is you can set up deeper into the woods than you can with a tent; you don't have to find an open spot.  Getting dressed in privacy isn't that big a deal if there's no one close enough to watch. Hopefully, if there is someone close enough, that person doesn't mind watching you get dressed :-)

                                Karen
                              • Risk

                                    Message 17 of 28 , Jul 31, 2003
                                      Jodi

                                      I am old but USED to be fat - have lost 90 lbs so I brag on what I can
                                      do! :-D

                                      you serious? how?

                                      Jodi

                                      Shane wrote:

                                      > > In my case, it's real simple - I'm only 5'3" tall - so I sit up
                                      > > in my hammock, put on my shirt, lie down, slide on my pants, arch
                                      > > my back, pull 'em up, fasten 'em and away I go.
                                      >
                                      > Yeah, well try that when you're old and fat...
                                      >
                                      > Shane
                                      >
                                      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                                      > <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=259538.3625325.4914071.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705065843:HM/A=1695348/R=0/SIG=11u38u3s2/*http://hits.411web.com/cgi-bin/hit?page=1374-105951838331032>

                                      > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.

                                      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                                      4a124.jpg
                                      4a25f.jpg

                                    • uluheman
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Jul 31, 2003
                                        Silk is an easy way to carry fashion surprises. A long-sleeve silk
                                        shirt probably weighs just 2 oz and there are pants in the same
                                        league.

                                        At one wilderness spot I go to frequently, on a tropical beach eleven
                                        hard miles from civilization, most people are naked or nearly so all
                                        day long. When the sun goes down, though, the temperature drops a
                                        little bit and it's luxurious to take one last shower under the
                                        waterfall right beside the beach and then dress for dinner by donning
                                        our "evening clothes." I even have a red beret made of very light
                                        fleece!

                                        Brandon in Honolulu

                                        > Last year I carried a minidress for a week before anybody saw
                                        it. :)

                                        > Just call me fashion plate.
                                        >
                                        > -amy
                                      • Shane
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Jul 31, 2003
                                          > > I have a question of my own: Why would anyone EVER do this?
                                          > > Why would you even think to try changing clothes when rolling
                                          > > around in a tent?

                                          > It's cold out.

                                          Buck up. Unless it's -45 or so, you aren't going to freeze to death
                                          instantly.

                                          > It's wet out.

                                          Stand under the tarp.

                                          > It's muddy out.

                                          Well, now that would be a problem. So sit in the hammock, put the pants on
                                          up to your knees, put on your boots, stand up and finish dressing.

                                          > You want to surprise everybody with your cool new outfit.

                                          Can't argue with that.

                                          > If you let an unclothed part stick out of the hammock,
                                          > bugs will get it.

                                          Can't argue with that either...

                                          Shane
                                        • J Cornelius
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Jul 31, 2003
                                            Hi Robi - yes I'm serious - maybe when I can get my scanner working
                                            right (actually it probably wouldn't take much but I've been too lazy
                                            (well busy) do get it going) I'll upload a temporary before/after pic -
                                            I weighed 250 lbs when I started and I now weigh 160 (still got 20 I
                                            wanna drop but these last 20 are stubborn). All I did was watch my fat
                                            intake and drink LOTS and LOTS of water. I did this in a year's time.
                                            No chemicals or herbals of any sort either. I just made sure everything
                                            I ate had less than 3 grams of fat per serving. I did not do portions
                                            or weight measuring or any of that. Just looked at the calories in
                                            products and made sure the fat was at the very MOST under 25% of the
                                            calories. And started walking - it was when I got to the point I was
                                            going to backpack with my dad and realized that at 250 lbs I wasn't
                                            gonna get very far that I decided to get off my fat butt and make it
                                            skinnier 8-)

                                            Jodi

                                            robi dawson wrote:

                                            > Jodi
                                            >

                                            >> I am old but USED to be fat - have lost 90 lbs so I brag on what I can
                                            >> do! :-D
                                            >

                                            > you serious? how?
                                            >

                                            >> Jodi

                                            >> > Yeah, well try that when you're old and fat...
                                            >> >
                                            >> > Shane
                                            >> >
                                            >> > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                                            >> >
                                            >> <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=259538.3625325.4914071.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705065843:HM/A=1695348/R=0/SIG=11u38u3s2/*http://hits.411web.com/cgi-bin/hit?page=1374-105951838331032>

                                            >> > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service
                                            >> > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.
                                            >>

                                            >> Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                                            >> <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=194081.3551198.4824677.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705065843:HM/A=1663535/R=0/SIG=11ps6rfef/*http://www.ediets.com/start.cfm?code=30504&media=atkins>

                                            >> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service
                                            >> <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.
                                            >

                                            > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                                            > <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=259538.3625325.4914071.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705065843:HM/A=1695348/R=0/SIG=11u38u3s2/*http://hits.411web.com/cgi-bin/hit?page=1374-105951838331032>

                                            > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.
                                          • Jamie
                                            Message 21 of 28 , Jul 31, 2003
                                              As a woman and someone who is pretty modest, although much less as I
                                              age :) I was concerned with this too. I'm a newbie to hammocking
                                              also, I've only used my about 3 times now. I found that it's not so
                                              bad to change the upper half and the socks/shoes part in the hammock
                                              but the pants/shorts area is pretty impossible. So far I've only
                                              used my hammock in dispersed camping situations so the group I was
                                              hiking with were the only other people around (well as far as I
                                              knew). I just grabbed my clothes and walked off into the woods to
                                              change or stood behind a tree. No biggy. IF I'm in a campground,
                                              yuck!, I will just use my vehicle, or the restrooms or stand behind
                                              my tarp. It's not really as troublesome as it seems.

                                              Good luck and I think you will enjoy hammocking.
                                              Jamie in AZ

                                            • Bror8588@AOL.com
                                              Message 22 of 28 , Aug 1, 2003
                                                J Cornelius,

                                                Good for you!  I too have a plan to lose some weight before I tackle the AT next spring.  I am going the opposite tack and am including high amounts of fat and protein and very low carbohydrates.  No bread, sugar substitute, Lots of Water, and care when it comes to which vegetables I include in my meal plans.  I started ten days ago and was 284 but today I am 273.  Each day the scale moves down.  Very encouraging.

                                                When I get on the trail and energy requirements increase dramatically I will adjust to meet the need.  "Big Red" began the AT when he weighed 345 and lost as he hiked but I read someone's thought that the better shape one is in when they begin the less expensive the trail will be for there will be less need for stops, the trail will be completed faster, clothing size will not be dramatically changed, etc., and so I decided to start now to lose weight rather than next April.

                                                Probably any plan to change eating habits will work as long as you are consistent.

                                                Jack

                                              • robi dawson
                                                Message 23 of 28 , Aug 1, 2003
                                                  personally i could care less if anybody sees me ugly and very fat but!

                                                  i will turn my back or step behind a tree, wait for somebody to pass etc but when i need to change i will do it.. here in Hugnary i often drop my swim suit at a beach and put on my clothes those who are offended should just not look....

                                                  rob

                                                  wrote:
                                                  > I'm seriously contemplating a hammock to replace my tent, not so
                                                  much
                                                  > for the weight savings but for the comfort. I'm one of
                                                  the "advanced
                                                  > youth" group that has had back trouble for a long time and am
                                                  looking
                                                  > at hammocking as a way to get a more comfortable night's sleep. In
                                                  > all the reading I've been doing on line at the various Hammock info
                                                  > sites, I have not found an answer to the following question:
                                                  >
                                                  > How do you change clothes in a hammock? Or don't you?
                                                  >
                                                  > I have enough of a challenge inside a 1-man tent wriggling my 6ft.
                                                  > plus body into clothing! I'm trying to picture how it is done in a
                                                  > hammock without ending up on the ground unintentionally. :-)
                                                  >
                                                  > What works for you? TIA for your insights.
                                                  >
                                                  > ---
                                                  > Ted

                                                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                                                  5e732.jpg
                                                  5e9d3.jpg

                                                • robi dawson
                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Aug 1, 2003
                                                    i weigh in at a tad over kg. considering that 10 years ago i was a constant 65 kg that's a substantial gain. i really would like to loose at least 20-30 kg.

                                                    i started biking instead of using the car and immediately lost weight. however, i have yet to pay attention to my diet at all, i eat what i like, when i like, as long as i ride or walk a few days a week i still loose some weight but when i am at home, working from my computer i gain back what i had lost..

                                                    guess i just need to get off my fat butt literally and work/bike every single day... bet stretching would also help me feel better...

                                                    so i know what to do and why i just have a hard time doing it....

                                                    robi

                                                    At 07:23 AM 8/1/03 -0400, you wrote:
[...]

                                                    1d100e.jpg
                                                    1d10bb.jpg

                                                  • Jamie
                                                    Message 25 of 28 , Aug 1, 2003
                                                      I think that's awsome you guys are making a commitment to weight
                                                      loss. Better health is certainly a added bonus to that. My problem
                                                      is more the middle. I hate ab exercises with a passion.
                                                      Any exercise tips for that all you skinny hammockers???

                                                      Jamie in AZ

                                                      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Bror8588@A... wrote:
                                                      > J Cornelius,
                                                      >
                                                      > Good for you! I too have a plan to lose some weight before I
                                                      tackle the AT
                                                      > next spring. I am going the opposite tack and am including high
                                                      amounts of fat
                                                      > and protein and very low carbohydrates. No bread, sugar
                                                      substitute, Lots of
                                                      > Water, and care when it comes to which vegetables I include in my
                                                      meal plans.
                                                      > I started ten days ago and was 284 but today I am 273. Each day
                                                      the scale
                                                      > moves down. Very encouraging.
                                                      >
                                                      > When I get on the trail and energy requirements increase
                                                      dramatically I will
                                                      > adjust to meet the need. "Big Red" began the AT when he weighed
                                                      345 and lost
                                                      > as he hiked but I read someone's thought that the better shape one
                                                      is in when
                                                      > they begin the less expensive the trail will be for there will be
                                                      less need
                                                      > for stops, the trail will be completed faster, clothing size will
                                                      not be
                                                      > dramatically changed, etc., and so I decided to start now to lose
                                                      weight rather than
                                                      > next April.
                                                      >
                                                      > Probably any plan to change eating habits will work as long as you
                                                      are
                                                      > consistent.
                                                      >
                                                      > Jack
                                                    • robi dawson
                                                      Message 26 of 28 , Aug 1, 2003
                                                        Folks,

                                                        a friend was over yesterday and intrigued by my hammocking story from the
                                                        summer.

                                                        She asked to see the hammock in action.

                                                        well, what's a boy to do?

                                                        i hung the hammock, she climbed in, of course only after 3 of her kids and
                                                        two of mine tried it out.

                                                        She now wants to go on any and all camping, canoeing trips we go on because
                                                        a hammock is comfortable and tents are not... see tents and uncomfy nights
                                                        have been keeping her away from enjoying the outdoors for years...

                                                        Robi
                                                      • amy
                                                        Message 27 of 28 , Aug 2, 2003
                                                          On Saturday, August 2, 2003, at 01:37 AM, Jamie wrote:

                                                          > I think that's awsome you guys are making a commitment to weight
                                                          > loss. Better health is certainly a added bonus to that. My problem
                                                          > is more the middle. I hate ab exercises with a passion.
                                                          > Any exercise tips for that all you skinny hammockers???

                                                          I hate them too. I think the best way to exercise your abs
                                                          is to find an activity which you like which also exercises them.
                                                          Like aikido. Or horseback riding. (In my case.) :)

                                                          I am not a winter person so in winter I go to a gym to get
                                                          my exercise, but the rest of the year I like to get it while
                                                          having fun.

                                                          -amy
                                                        • Risk
                                                          Message 28 of 28 , Aug 2, 2003
                                                            > i hung the hammock, she climbed in, of course only after 3 of her
                                                            kids and
                                                            > two of mine tried it out.
                                                            >
                                                            > She now wants to go on any and all camping, canoeing trips we go on
                                                            because
                                                            > a hammock is comfortable and tents are not...

                                                            Great story Robi!!

                                                            Risk