Risk's Quarterweight hammock question

  • Scott A. Ferguson
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 30, 2003
      Question for Risk AKA flyfisher AKA Rick about your Quarterweight hammock.

      I tried making your Quarterweight hammock recently and have not been able to
      get the bug canopy to have the "ridge". I have retied the knots about 5 or 6
      times and have not been able to get the canopy to peak, it always just drapes
      over the hammock.

      Is there a secret to the knot? I have included the edge of the canopy in the
      knot, I have tried to pull a ridge into the knot, tried tying the knot with the
      hammock strung up (as if I was going to use it), etc......

      I find the hammock quite comfortable, having slept in it in the basement one
      night. I was hoping to take it with me this weekend on a climbing/bouldering
      trip (though I figure I won't find any trees big enough to support me...)

      Thanks,
      saF

      =====
      Scott A. Ferguson
      Halifax, Nova Scotia
      Canada

      http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
    • Risk
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 30, 2003
        Hi Scott,

        I assume you cut the bug net in the way I describe on the page. To
        make it more clear, I have just drawn a picture of the bug net
        pattern here:

        http://www.flyfisher-kayaks.com/ultralite/hammockbugnetpattern.jpg

        The idea of course, is that the chord of the circle segment is the
        shortest distance across cloth in the whole hammock, so if anything
        is tight, it has to be.

        Did you start with the bug net like this?

        Rick
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Scott A. Ferguson"
        <fergusonsa@y...> wrote:
        > Question for Risk AKA flyfisher AKA Rick about your Quarterweight
        hammock.

        > I tried making your Quarterweight hammock recently and have not
        been able to
        > get the bug canopy to have the "ridge". I have retied the knots
        about 5 or 6
        > times and have not been able to get the canopy to peak, it always
        just drapes
        > over the hammock.

      • Chester Clocksin
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 30, 2003
          Rick,
          Do you sew the curved edge straight across, so that only a portion of the curved edge is actually sewn to the hammock body?

          Chet

          <fergusonsa@y...> wrote:
          > Question for Risk AKA flyfisher AKA Rick about your Quarterweight
          hammock.

          > I tried making your Quarterweight hammock recently and have not
          been able to
          > get the bug canopy to have the "ridge".  I have retied the knots
          about 5 or 6
          > times and have not been able to get the canopy to peak, it always
          just drapes
          > over the hammock.

        • Risk
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 30, 2003
            No,

            I pin that curved edge to the straight edge of the rectangular hammock
            cloth and sew the two together. Then the bugnet is included in the
            hammock knot as Scott mentioned. I do not shorten nor lengthen the
            cloth in that knot.

            Rick

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Chester Clocksin
            <cclocksin@a...> wrote:
            > Rick,
            > Do you sew the curved edge straight across, so that only a portion
            of the curved edge is actually sewn to the hammock body?

            > Chet
            >
            > Risk <geoflyfisher@y...> wrote:
            > Hi Scott,
            >
            > I assume you cut the bug net in the way I describe on the page. To
            > make it more clear, I have just drawn a picture of the bug net
            > pattern here:
            >
            > http://www.flyfisher-kayaks.com/ultralite/hammockbugnetpattern.jpg
            >
            > The idea of course, is that the chord of the circle segment is the
            > shortest distance across cloth in the whole hammock, so if anything
            > is tight, it has to be.
            >
            > Did you start with the bug net like this?
            >
            > Rick
            > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Scott A. Ferguson"
            > <fergusonsa@y...> wrote:
            > > Question for Risk AKA flyfisher AKA Rick about your Quarterweight
            > hammock.
            > >
            > > I tried making your Quarterweight hammock recently and have not
            > been able to
            > > get the bug canopy to have the "ridge". I have retied the knots
            > about 5 or 6
            > > times and have not been able to get the canopy to peak, it always
            > just drapes
            > > over the hammock.
            > >

            > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

          • Chester Clocksin
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 30, 2003
              Rick, thanks for the clarification....makes perfect sense now.
              One more question for you:
              When making the double bottom of the hammock, you mention that you stich the layers together about 25 inches down the sides from each end. Does this keep the middle portion of the inside layer from sagging away from the outer layer? In my latest attempt at a double bottom, the inside layer seems too loose, even after pulling the ends of the inside layer an inch or so longer than the outside layer (which is pulled up about 2 inches). I was attempting to to just tie the double layer together without sewing them together at all. Seems the double bottom is going to very nice for holding a foam in place, if I could just get it right!

              Thanks,
              Chet

              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 30, 2003
                One side is sewn for the full length. The other side has the ends
                sewn just to make sure the ends of the pad don't pop out to the side.

                I sew the two identical sides right on top of each other. The inside
                surface always seems a little wrinkled until I get in, then it
                stretches out to tight.

                I routinely use either surface as the outside (downside) of the
                hammock, depending on which side I want to get out of the hammock once
                I tie it up to the trees. One can also make the two surfaces of
                different colors and choose one or the other to be on the outside to
                increase/decrease the stealth characteristics of the hammock. I do
                the choosing by turning the hammock upside down or rightside up.

                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 31, 2003
                  Yes I did cut the bugnet on the chord and sewed it to one side of the bottom 2
                  pieces.

                  Risk, you mention in another email that you can use either side of your hammock
                  (sort of inside out) depending on which side you want to get out. Does that
                  mean that when you tied the knots that the bugnet was gathered on one side
                  (the sewn side) instead of laying over top the bottom (like an open book vs a
                  closed book)? I was tying the knot with the bugnet folded over (like a closed
                  book) and it does not look like it would "switch" sides easily. This might be
                  part of my problem.

                  Thanks again for posting your design. Feels great to make a camping hammock for
                  about $15 CAD (already had the chiffon at home). I still have to get the
                  webbing, but for now I am using some rope and a couple of old seatbelt straps
                  for the trees.

                  saF

                  > Hi Scott,
                  >
                  > I assume you cut the bug net in the way I describe on the page. To
                  > make it more clear, I have just drawn a picture of the bug net
                  > pattern here:
                  >
                  > http://www.flyfisher-kayaks.com/ultralite/hammockbugnetpattern.jpg
                  >
                  > The idea of course, is that the chord of the circle segment is the
                  > shortest distance across cloth in the whole hammock, so if anything
                  > is tight, it has to be.
                  >
                  > Did you start with the bug net like this?
                  >
                  > Rick

                  =====
                  Scott A. Ferguson
                  Halifax, Nova Scotia
                  Canada

                  http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
                • Risk
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 31, 2003
                    Hi Scott,

                    Does that
                    > mean that when you tied the knots that the bugnet was gathered on
                    one side
                    > (the sewn side) instead of laying over top the bottom (like an open
                    book vs a
                    > closed book)? I was tying the knot with the bugnet folded over (like
                    a closed
                    > book) and it does not look like it would "switch" sides easily.
                    This might be
                    > part of my problem.

                    I folded the bug net over the hammock bottoms, and then zigzag folded
                    all the layers together before tying the knot. I know it does not
                    look like it should work with the bug net on either side, but after it
                    is knotted, it is nearly impossible to tell which side was originally
                    up. Try it, you will see. In the tying of the knot, it is mainly
                    important that the bug net, where it is sewn to the hammock edge, is
                    tight. Any tightness of the bug net anywhere else in the knot tends
                    to loosten this edge and takes away the tight ridge line.

                    Many might think the bug net needs to be tight in the middle of the
                    hammock. Not true. It is tighteness at the edge which is critical to
                    the design.