Re: first trip with hammock

  • Risk
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 29, 2003
      Thanks for the feedback Ray! (sniff...sniff) I thought everyone just
      thought my hammock tube idea was a dud... (sniff...sniff)

      Now I will go design something else... Present project, off topic
      for hammock camping, is a lightweight forge stove (like the Zip
      Stove). Work so far is on a page at:

      http://www.flyfisher-kayaks.com/ultralite/forge.htm

      I have a great idea to take another oz or so off the weight but need
      to drink a pound and a half of coffee to make room in the kitchen for
      the next prototype.

      Risk :D

      <rgarling@y...> wrote:
      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Risk" <geoflyfisher@y...>
      > wrote:
      > > I have made several sets of hammock tubes, much like
      snakeskins....
      > have never had anyone tell me if they did it and if it worked for
      > > them like it does for me.
      > >
      > I tried this Rick & it works well. I made some loose-fitting snake
      > skins that were cylindrical (not tapered) so they could slip easily
      > over the hammock body with the GI shell attached. (I actually tried
      > leaving the insulation inside at first, but decided it was better
      > pack it separately.)
      >
      > I think loose fitting snake skins are good and are best used just
      for
      > the hammock body, so the tarp can be stored & pitched separately.
      > That way when it is raining you can pitch the tarp and get out of
      the
      > elements, then unpack your snake-skinned hammock body at your
      > leisure, then hang it without getting it wet.
    • robi dawson
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 29, 2003

        http://www.flyfisher-kayaks.com/ultralite/forge.htm

        Risk, that's cool!

        robi

        <rgarling@y...> wrote:
        > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Risk" <geoflyfisher@y...>
        > wrote:
        > > I have made several sets of hammock tubes, much like
        snakeskins....
        > have never had anyone tell me if they did it and if it worked for
        > > them like it does for me.
        > >
        > I tried this Rick & it works well.  I made some loose-fitting snake
        > skins that were cylindrical (not tapered) so they could slip easily
        > over the hammock body with the GI shell attached. (I actually tried
        > leaving the insulation inside at first, but decided it was better
        > pack it separately.)
        >
        > I think loose fitting snake skins are good and are best used just
        for
        > the hammock body, so the tarp can be stored & pitched separately.
        > That way when it is raining you can pitch the tarp and get out of
        the
        > elements, then unpack your snake-skinned hammock body at your
        > leisure, then hang it without getting it wet.

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
        3a11e1.jpg
        3a1318.jpg

      • firefly
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 29, 2003

          This was my experience, too!  Glad you had a great time. I actually think I might have quit going backpacking if I had not found this setup. I spent too many sleepless nights in the wilderness.  As for shifting around with the trees, I did that too. Still easier than finding a spot to set up a tent, though, IMHO.  Marsanne

          I was the only one who didn't spend the night dragging themselves
          back up hill.

          I slept with the rain fly off and enjoyed the stars.  Overall, I am
          very happy with the hammock.  It was the most comfortable I have ever
          been camping and I'm looking forward to using it a lot this year.
          I'll be tweaking the insulator setup.

          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 29, 2003
            Message
            Great report!  ...Ed
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 29, 2003
              I wanted to let folks know that I made the hammock tubes for the
              Hennessey ultralight Asym tonight and they worked great. My final
              dimensions were 7 inches tapering to 5 inches as that was all the
              silnylon I had left. I used a 1/4 inch seam allowance, the fabric is
              just over 60 inches wide and I have plenty of overlap.

              Thanks to everyone for the tips. Thanks to Shane for the excellent
              video demonstration of how to use them.

              ciyd

              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Mark Bayern <mark@m...> wrote:
              > Your dimensions should work well. With my smaller dia. snakeskins
              it is
              > important to follow Shane's instructions

              (http://www.theplacewithnoname.com/hiking/sections/gear/shelter/hhsnak
              es.htm)