Re: first trip with hammock

  • Ray Garlington
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 29, 2003
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Risk" <geoflyfisher@y...>
      wrote:
      > I have made several sets of hammock tubes, much like snakeskins....
      have never had anyone tell me if they did it and if it worked for
      > them like it does for me.

      I tried this Rick & it works well. I made some loose-fitting snake
      skins that were cylindrical (not tapered) so they could slip easily
      over the hammock body with the GI shell attached. (I actually tried
      leaving the insulation inside at first, but decided it was better to
      pack it separately.)

      I think loose fitting snake skins are good and are best used just for
      the hammock body, so the tarp can be stored & pitched separately.
      That way when it is raining you can pitch the tarp and get out of the
      elements, then unpack your snake-skinned hammock body at your
      leisure, then hang it without getting it wet.
    • Risk
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 29, 2003
        Thanks for the feedback Ray! (sniff...sniff) I thought everyone just
        thought my hammock tube idea was a dud... (sniff...sniff)

        Now I will go design something else... Present project, off topic
        for hammock camping, is a lightweight forge stove (like the Zip
        Stove). Work so far is on a page at:

        http://www.flyfisher-kayaks.com/ultralite/forge.htm

        I have a great idea to take another oz or so off the weight but need
        to drink a pound and a half of coffee to make room in the kitchen for
        the next prototype.

        Risk :D

        <rgarling@y...> wrote:
        > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Risk" <geoflyfisher@y...>
        > wrote:
        > > I have made several sets of hammock tubes, much like
        snakeskins....
        > have never had anyone tell me if they did it and if it worked for
        > > them like it does for me.
        > >
        > I tried this Rick & it works well. I made some loose-fitting snake
        > skins that were cylindrical (not tapered) so they could slip easily
        > over the hammock body with the GI shell attached. (I actually tried
        > leaving the insulation inside at first, but decided it was better
        > pack it separately.)
        >
        > I think loose fitting snake skins are good and are best used just
        for
        > the hammock body, so the tarp can be stored & pitched separately.
        > That way when it is raining you can pitch the tarp and get out of
        the
        > elements, then unpack your snake-skinned hammock body at your
        > leisure, then hang it without getting it wet.
      • robi dawson
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 29, 2003

          http://www.flyfisher-kayaks.com/ultralite/forge.htm

          Risk, that's cool!

          robi

          <rgarling@y...> wrote:
          > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Risk" <geoflyfisher@y...>
          > wrote:
          > > I have made several sets of hammock tubes, much like
          snakeskins....
          > have never had anyone tell me if they did it and if it worked for
          > > them like it does for me.
          > >
          > I tried this Rick & it works well.  I made some loose-fitting snake
          > skins that were cylindrical (not tapered) so they could slip easily
          > over the hammock body with the GI shell attached. (I actually tried
          > leaving the insulation inside at first, but decided it was better
          > pack it separately.)
          >
          > I think loose fitting snake skins are good and are best used just
          for
          > the hammock body, so the tarp can be stored & pitched separately.
          > That way when it is raining you can pitch the tarp and get out of
          the
          > elements, then unpack your snake-skinned hammock body at your
          > leisure, then hang it without getting it wet.

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
          3a11e1.jpg
          3a1318.jpg

        • firefly
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 29, 2003

            This was my experience, too!  Glad you had a great time. I actually think I might have quit going backpacking if I had not found this setup. I spent too many sleepless nights in the wilderness.  As for shifting around with the trees, I did that too. Still easier than finding a spot to set up a tent, though, IMHO.  Marsanne

            I was the only one who didn't spend the night dragging themselves
            back up hill.

            I slept with the rain fly off and enjoyed the stars.  Overall, I am
            very happy with the hammock.  It was the most comfortable I have ever
            been camping and I'm looking forward to using it a lot this year.
            I'll be tweaking the insulator setup.

            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 29, 2003
              Message
              Great report!  ...Ed
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 29, 2003
                I wanted to let folks know that I made the hammock tubes for the
                Hennessey ultralight Asym tonight and they worked great. My final
                dimensions were 7 inches tapering to 5 inches as that was all the
                silnylon I had left. I used a 1/4 inch seam allowance, the fabric is
                just over 60 inches wide and I have plenty of overlap.

                Thanks to everyone for the tips. Thanks to Shane for the excellent
                video demonstration of how to use them.

                ciyd

                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Mark Bayern <mark@m...> wrote:
                > Your dimensions should work well. With my smaller dia. snakeskins
                it is
                > important to follow Shane's instructions

                (http://www.theplacewithnoname.com/hiking/sections/gear/shelter/hhsnak
                es.htm)