first trip with hammock

  • ciyd01
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 28 5:29 PM
      I finally got to trail test the Hennessey Ultra-light Asym this
      weekend. We ended up on top of a small mountain in an attempt to
      escape the swarms of mosquitos. My hiking partners all had tents and
      had problems finding somewhat level ground to pitch them on with
      enough dirt to stake them down. I had a bunch of trees at my
      disposal to set up the hammock. I actually set it up about 4 times
      in an attempt to find the best 2 trees to use. I'm sure I'll get
      better at site selection as I get more experience.

      I was the only one who didn't spend the night dragging themselves
      back up hill. The closed cell foam pad was plenty of insulation for
      the low temp of 60F (and I sleep very cold). I used a 35F sleeping
      bag as a quilt and the only issue I had was keeping the sides tucked
      in around me. I might try some straps like the Nunatek uses. I
      evenutally want to upgrade to the Arc Alpinist. The blue Target foam
      worked ok but I may want to try the Yoga pad suggested today. The
      thicker pad did tend to migrate to the side and the thinner pad might
      do better.

      I slept with the rain fly off and enjoyed the stars. Overall, I am
      very happy with the hammock. It was the most comfortable I have ever
      been camping and I'm looking forward to using it a lot this year.
      I'll be tweaking the insulator setup.

      I do have one question for other HH owners: I have some leftover sil-
      nylon and want to make some snakeskins. What size do I cut the
      silnylon? I had heard that it is a tapered piece, starting at 10
      inches and tapering to 6 inches with a 1/4 inch seam allowance. Two
      pieces using the full 60 inch width of the fabric. Is this right?

      ciyd
    • Mark Bayern
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 28 7:15 PM
        >I do have one question for other HH owners: I have some leftover sil-
        >nylon and want to make some snakeskins. What size do I cut the
        >silnylon? I had heard that it is a tapered piece, starting at 10
        >inches and tapering to 6 inches with a 1/4 inch seam allowance. Two
        >pieces using the full 60 inch width of the fabric. Is this right?

        The set that I made starts at 4 1/2" and goes to 7". Sewn with 1/2" seam
        allowance. It is tight on my HH UL-Asym, but so far works quite well. I
        do wish they were longer than 60".

        I have another set cut for my son's HH Scout, but I'm concerned that it
        will be too tight -- the Scout uses heavier fabric for a smaller hammock.

        Mark
      • Risk
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 28 7:20 PM
          I have some leftover sil-
          > nylon and want to make some snakeskins. What size do I cut the
          > silnylon? I had heard that it is a tapered piece, starting at 10
          > inches and tapering to 6 inches with a 1/4 inch seam allowance.
          Two
          > pieces using the full 60 inch width of the fabric. Is this right?

          Hi ciyd,

          Sounds like you had a great night in the hammock. Next time you may
          not be alone... some of your tent camping friends may go out and get
          a hammock too.

          I have made several sets of hammock tubes, much like snakeskins. I
          cut 2 rectangles about 6 or 7 inches by 60 inches (depending on if
          you want the tube to fit tight or a little looser. I sew the two
          edges together with about a 1/4 inch seam allowance, slip it over the
          rope inside out and attach near the hammock with a zip tie. Then
          pull the rest of the tube rightside-out over the hammock. 6 in wide
          will give you a tube under 2 inches in diameter. 7 will be about 2
          inches in diameter. I have written this on the list many times, but
          have never had anyone tell me if they did it and if it worked for
          them like it does for me.

          Rick
        • Mark Bayern
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 28 7:46 PM
            Your dimensions should work well. With my smaller dia. snakeskins it is
            important to follow Shane's instructions
            (http://www.theplacewithnoname.com/hiking/sections/gear/shelter/hhsnakes.htm)
            if you want to get the hammock and the tarp inside the snakeskin.

            Mark

            At 02:20 AM 7/29/2003 +0000, you wrote:
            >I have some leftover sil-
            > > nylon and want to make some snakeskins. What size do I cut the
            > > silnylon? I had heard that it is a tapered piece, starting at 10
            > > inches and tapering to 6 inches with a 1/4 inch seam allowance.
            >Two
            > > pieces using the full 60 inch width of the fabric. Is this right?
            > >
            >Hi ciyd,
            >
            >Sounds like you had a great night in the hammock. Next time you may
            >not be alone... some of your tent camping friends may go out and get
            >a hammock too.
            >
            >I have made several sets of hammock tubes, much like snakeskins. I
            >cut 2 rectangles about 6 or 7 inches by 60 inches (depending on if
            >you want the tube to fit tight or a little looser. I sew the two
            >edges together with about a 1/4 inch seam allowance, slip it over the
            >rope inside out and attach near the hammock with a zip tie. Then
            >pull the rest of the tube rightside-out over the hammock. 6 in wide
            >will give you a tube under 2 inches in diameter. 7 will be about 2
            >inches in diameter. I have written this on the list many times, but
            >have never had anyone tell me if they did it and if it worked for
            >them like it does for me.
            >
            >Rick

          • Ray Garlington
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 29 5:06 AM
              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Risk" <geoflyfisher@y...>
              wrote:
              > I have made several sets of hammock tubes, much like snakeskins....
              have never had anyone tell me if they did it and if it worked for
              > them like it does for me.

              I tried this Rick & it works well. I made some loose-fitting snake
              skins that were cylindrical (not tapered) so they could slip easily
              over the hammock body with the GI shell attached. (I actually tried
              leaving the insulation inside at first, but decided it was better to
              pack it separately.)

              I think loose fitting snake skins are good and are best used just for
              the hammock body, so the tarp can be stored & pitched separately.
              That way when it is raining you can pitch the tarp and get out of the
              elements, then unpack your snake-skinned hammock body at your
              leisure, then hang it without getting it wet.
            • Risk
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 29 5:25 AM
                Thanks for the feedback Ray! (sniff...sniff) I thought everyone just
                thought my hammock tube idea was a dud... (sniff...sniff)

                Now I will go design something else... Present project, off topic
                for hammock camping, is a lightweight forge stove (like the Zip
                Stove). Work so far is on a page at:

                http://www.flyfisher-kayaks.com/ultralite/forge.htm

                I have a great idea to take another oz or so off the weight but need
                to drink a pound and a half of coffee to make room in the kitchen for
                the next prototype.

                Risk :D

                <rgarling@y...> wrote:
                > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Risk" <geoflyfisher@y...>
                > wrote:
                > > I have made several sets of hammock tubes, much like
                snakeskins....
                > have never had anyone tell me if they did it and if it worked for
                > > them like it does for me.
                > >
                > I tried this Rick & it works well. I made some loose-fitting snake
                > skins that were cylindrical (not tapered) so they could slip easily
                > over the hammock body with the GI shell attached. (I actually tried
                > leaving the insulation inside at first, but decided it was better
                > pack it separately.)
                >
                > I think loose fitting snake skins are good and are best used just
                for
                > the hammock body, so the tarp can be stored & pitched separately.
                > That way when it is raining you can pitch the tarp and get out of
                the
                > elements, then unpack your snake-skinned hammock body at your
                > leisure, then hang it without getting it wet.
              • robi dawson
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 29 5:41 AM

                  http://www.flyfisher-kayaks.com/ultralite/forge.htm

                  Risk, that's cool!

                  robi

                  <rgarling@y...> wrote:
                  > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Risk" <geoflyfisher@y...>
                  > wrote:
                  > > I have made several sets of hammock tubes, much like
                  snakeskins....
                  > have never had anyone tell me if they did it and if it worked for
                  > > them like it does for me.
                  > >
                  > I tried this Rick & it works well.  I made some loose-fitting snake
                  > skins that were cylindrical (not tapered) so they could slip easily
                  > over the hammock body with the GI shell attached. (I actually tried
                  > leaving the insulation inside at first, but decided it was better
                  > pack it separately.)
                  >
                  > I think loose fitting snake skins are good and are best used just
                  for
                  > the hammock body, so the tarp can be stored & pitched separately.
                  > That way when it is raining you can pitch the tarp and get out of
                  the
                  > elements, then unpack your snake-skinned hammock body at your
                  > leisure, then hang it without getting it wet.

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                  3a11e1.jpg
                  3a1318.jpg

                • firefly

                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 29 7:43 PM
                      Message
                      Great report!  ...Ed

                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 29 8:56 PM
                        I wanted to let folks know that I made the hammock tubes for the
                        Hennessey ultralight Asym tonight and they worked great. My final
                        dimensions were 7 inches tapering to 5 inches as that was all the
                        silnylon I had left. I used a 1/4 inch seam allowance, the fabric is
                        just over 60 inches wide and I have plenty of overlap.

                        Thanks to everyone for the tips. Thanks to Shane for the excellent
                        video demonstration of how to use them.

                        ciyd