The thinest pad?...

  • gonzzo55
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 26, 2003
      Hello:

      Im looking for a thiner pad to use while sleeping in my hammock.
      The pad i use now is a milspec green closed foam pad cut down to
      fit. I use it to line the inside of my pack also but, when doing
      this, i have noticed that if it was half as thick it would fit in my
      pack better. Anyone here have any sujestions?. Thank You.
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 26, 2003
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "gonzzo55" <undtker55@h...>
        wrote:
        > Hello:
        >
        > Im looking for a thiner pad to use while sleeping in my hammock.
        > The pad i use now is a milspec green closed foam pad cut down to
        > fit. I use it to line the inside of my pack also but, when doing
        > this, i have noticed that if it was half as thick it would fit in
        my
        > pack better. Anyone here have any sujestions?. Thank You.

        You didn't mention how thick your pad is, but both
        www.spearhammocks.com and www.owareusa.com sell 1/4" thick pads of
        various sizes for hammock campers. Also keep in mind that you are
        using the pad to keep your backside warm and usually the thinner pads
        won't keep you as warm.

        Youngblood
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 26, 2003
          In my previous post I had a spelling error, it should read
          www.speerhammocks.com.

          > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "gonzzo55" <undtker55@h...>
          > wrote:
          > > Hello:
          > >
          > > Im looking for a thiner pad to use while sleeping in my hammock.
          > > The pad i use now is a milspec green closed foam pad cut down to
          > > fit. I use it to line the inside of my pack also but, when doing
          > > this, i have noticed that if it was half as thick it would fit in
          > my
          > > pack better. Anyone here have any sujestions?. Thank You.
          >
          > You didn't mention how thick your pad is, but both
          > www.spearhammocks.com and www.owareusa.com sell 1/4" thick pads of
          > various sizes for hammock campers. Also keep in mind that you are
          > using the pad to keep your backside warm and usually the thinner
          pads
          > won't keep you as warm.
          >
          > Youngblood
        • Jamie
          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 26, 2003
            > You didn't mention how thick your pad is, but both
            > www.spearhammocks.com and www.owareusa.com sell 1/4" thick pads of
            > various sizes for hammock campers. Also keep in mind that you are
            > using the pad to keep your backside warm and usually the thinner
            pads
            > won't keep you as warm.
            >
            > Youngblood

            Now this isn't the case if you are using the pad as a under the
            hammock wind/cold barrier is it? I was looking at the ones REI have
            that are 3/4 of an inche think or the one's from Target that everyone
            talks about.

            Jamie in AZ
            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 27, 2003
              Jamie,

              The unbranded pads that REI sells are what people usually refer to
              as 'standard blue foam' and comes in two sizes, 75x24x3/8" and
              56x24x3/8"; they sell for $16 and $10, respectively. The Target pads
              are also blue but appear to be a different material and they are
              72x27x3/8"; this pad sells for $10. So, I am confused about the 3/4"
              pad that you mentioned that REI sells. I am also confused as to how
              you are using a pad as "a under the hammock wind/cold barrier", but I
              believe that the pad thickness will still determine how warm you will
              be.

              Youngblood

              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 27, 2003
                Message
                Dave & Gonzzo:

                My thin 1/4" pad is quite impressive--since it is made from 2-pound density foam, it is actually warmer than other pads of the same thickness that are made from less dense foam.  Is it as warm as a 1/2" blue foam pad--I don't know for sure.  While I don't have any actual comparisons, I use the pad myself and am very pleased with it.  It is thin enough to use as the interior frame for my pack.  It also is grippy and thus does not slide around inside the hammock.  It works well used by itself for mild temps or used in combo with thicker narrow pads for cold temps.  Because it is thin, it can be used in wide widths (24-30") without causing unconfortable buldges in the hammock, a common problem with wide thick pads.  I searched a long time to find this pad....Ed

                In my previous post I had a spelling error, it should read
                www.speerhammocks.com.

                > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "gonzzo55" <undtker55@h...>
                > wrote:
                > > Hello:
                > >
                > >  Im looking for a thiner pad to use while sleeping in my hammock.
                > > The pad i use now is a milspec green closed foam pad cut down to
                > > fit. I use it to line the inside of my pack also but, when doing
                > > this, i have noticed that if it was half as thick it would fit in
                > my
                > > pack better. Anyone here have any sujestions?. Thank You.
                >
                > You didn't mention how thick your pad is, but both
                > www.spearhammocks.com and www.owareusa.com sell 1/4" thick pads of
                > various sizes for hammock campers.  Also keep in mind that you are
                > using the pad to keep your backside warm and usually the thinner
                pads
                > won't keep you as warm.
                >
                > Youngblood

              • Stephen T. Gregorie
                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 28, 2003
                  Check out REI.
                  --- gonzzo55 <undtker55@...> wrote:
                  > Hello:
                  >
                  > Im looking for a thiner pad to use while sleeping
                  > in my hammock.
                  > The pad i use now is a milspec green closed foam pad
                  > cut down to
                  > fit. I use it to line the inside of my pack also
                  > but, when doing
                  > this, i have noticed that if it was half as thick it
                  > would fit in my
                  > pack better. Anyone here have any sujestions?. Thank
                  > You.

                  http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
                • Erin
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jul 28, 2003
                    Hi,

                    You might want to check out yoga mats. Many of them are closed cell
                    foam and quite thin. I think that they are designed more for skid
                    resistance than padding. They are also wider than sleeping pads.
                    I'm not sure how heavy they are, though.

                    Erin

                    wrote:
                    > Hello:
                    >
                    > Im looking for a thiner pad to use while sleeping in my hammock.
                    > The pad i use now is a milspec green closed foam pad cut down to
                    > fit. I use it to line the inside of my pack also but, when doing
                    > this, i have noticed that if it was half as thick it would fit in
                    my
                    > pack better. Anyone here have any sujestions?. Thank You.
                  • Chester Clocksin

                      Message 10 of 15 , Jul 28, 2003
                        Dave, my mistake, the REI pad I was refering to is the very same you
                        stated. My pregnancy depleated memory was not working when I wrote
                        that they were 3/4 of an inch thick.

                        I made a bottom insulator kind of like the GI taco out of a Neat
                        Sheet and was going to put a lightweight pad in there for colder
                        temps when I need more insulation rather than have to try to sleep on
                        the pad in the hammock.

                        jamie in az

                        > Jamie,
                        >
                        > The unbranded pads that REI sells are what people usually refer to
                        > as 'standard blue foam' and comes in two sizes, 75x24x3/8" and
                        > 56x24x3/8"; they sell for $16 and $10, respectively. The Target
                        pads
                        > are also blue but appear to be a different material and they are
                        > 72x27x3/8"; this pad sells for $10. So, I am confused about the
                        3/4"
                        > pad that you mentioned that REI sells. I am also confused as to
                        how
                        > you are using a pad as "a under the hammock wind/cold barrier", but
                        > believe that the pad thickness will still determine how warm you
                        will
                        > be.
                        >
                        > Youngblood
                        >
                        > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Jamie" <jdeben@h...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > > You didn't mention how thick your pad is, but both
                        > > > www.spearhammocks.com and www.owareusa.com sell 1/4" thick pads
                        > of
                        > > > various sizes for hammock campers. Also keep in mind that you
                        > are
                        > > > using the pad to keep your backside warm and usually the
                        thinner
                        > > pads
                        > > > won't keep you as warm.
                        > > >
                        > > > Youngblood
                        > >
                        > > Now this isn't the case if you are using the pad as a under the
                        > > hammock wind/cold barrier is it? I was looking at the ones REI
                        > have
                        > > that are 3/4 of an inche think or the one's from Target that
                        > everyone
                        > > talks about.
                        > >
                        > > Jamie in AZ
                      • Jamie
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jul 28, 2003
                          This is good idea. I actually checked into these the other day. The
                          big prob was the price. Since yoga is kind of trendy they charge
                          unreal prices for the equip.

                          jamie in az

                          Message 12 of 15 , Jul 29, 2003
                            Jamie,

                            Okay, I have a better idea of what you have. I have been using a
                            homemade two layer Speer hammock (or double bottom or twin-layer, its
                            the same principal) since March and have had pretty good results with
                            keeping my pad in place. This two layer arrangement gives equal
                            tension on both layers and your body weight keeps the pad in place.
                            Unfortunately, I haven't used it in cold weather yet, and cold
                            weather is the real test. If all other things are equal, and they
                            are not always equal, a pads 'warmth' is directly proportional to its
                            thickness. Right now, I am using a REI standard blue foam 3/8" pad
                            cut into four llx24" sections, with the sections duct taped together
                            so that they fold up to 1.5x11x24" and fold out to 3/8x44x24". The
                            folded up pad goes into my Breeze backpack, with a slight J-bend at
                            the bottom on my pack. The duct tape seems to hold very well on this
                            type of foam. My sleeping bag goes in next on top of the J-bend and
                            kind of locks the padding in place. Of course the padding is
                            oriented such that it pads my back when I have my pack on. Now, I do
                            use highly compressible down sleeping bags, the WM Highlite and the
                            WM Ultralite for 40 and 20 degree weather, respectively. If I were
                            using sleeping bags that were much larger when stuffed, this wouldn't
                            work.

                            Having said all that, I think Ed Speer mentioned that he offers 1/4"
                            pads for sell that he thinks work great for hammocks. I haven't used
                            them, but I tend to pay attention to what Ed says as he has probably
                            forgotten more about hammocks than I know, but I am having fun
                            learning. I don't think Ed cuts & tapes his pad, I believe he uses
                            the unroll/empty tube pack frame arrangement, as do most people. I
                            like the squared padding arrangement because that is closer to the
                            shape of my pack, I only have the 'sticky' pad to deal with on one
                            side when I stuff/unstuff my pack and the J-bend arrangement tends to
                            lock the pad in postion so that it doesn't 'ride up' during the day.

                          • tcoug7
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jul 29, 2003
                              > thickness. Right now, I am using a REI standard blue foam 3/8" pad
                              > cut into four llx24" sections, with the sections duct taped
                              together
                              > so that they fold up to 1.5x11x24" and fold out to 3/8x44x24".

                              I've done this with a closed cell foam pad and a reflectix pad. It
                              works great I think. It allows you to make the pad as wide as you
                              like. The duct tape holds up quite well. The trick is to insert the
                              pad so the taped side is away from you. That way, your weight
                              actually closes the gap made by the cuts. Also, I offset the seams
                              on the foam from the seams on the reflectix. That way, when I double
                              up, there are now cold spots - same idea as an offset quilt or
                              sleeping bag.

                              Tim
                            • Risk
                              Message 14 of 15 , Jul 29, 2003
                                Youngblood,

                                Great words on how you use the sleeping bag to "lock" the padding!

                                This is essentially what I do with the roll method as well.

                                When I start out in the morning to pack up, the pack is a sad little
                                bundle of cloth (8 oz of silnylon) that looks like an uninflated pool
                                toy thrown on the refuse pile... not very pretty.

                                I use either a plastic bag or a silnylon sack inside the pack as a
                                waterproof barrier. I roll the Target pad into a cylinder 2 layers
                                thick. I put this inside the pack liner and push the liner into the
                                pack. This gives the pack some shape, but everything is still pretty
                                wobbly. Next I take my quilt in it's stuff sack (probably about the
                                same size as your compressed down bag) and put it down the cylinder.
                                The stuff sack is silnylon and it tends to stick to the pad pretty
                                well. Near the bottom, I wedge one end of the stuff sack against the
                                side of the cylinder and begin to work the other end down opposite it
                                so that the stuff sack's long axis is parallel to the ground and
                                stretches across my back from one side to the other. If everything
                                has gone well, the pad is at the bottom of the liner bag and the
                                stuff sack is in the bottom of the pad cylinder. Next, I take the
                                pack edges and lift up, giving everything a little bounce, to get the
                                liner bag and its contents into the bottom of the pack. Now
                                everything is "locked" in place. The pack stands up straight, stays
                                open for packing, and the rest of the packing job is simply a matter
                                of arranging the rest of the stuff sacks so that nothing sharp sticks
                                into my back.

                                Once everything is packed, I take a rubber band and close the liner,
                                making a waterproof pack that can be floated across a river if need
                                be.

                                Risk

                                Message 15 of 15 , Jul 29, 2003
                                  Message
                                  Jamie and Dave

                                  After seeing Dave's folded pad on our recent hike, I'm intrigued and may just have to try it myself soon....Ed