Clark's Jungle Hammock

  • Bror8588@AOL.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 26, 2003
      Does anyone on this list have any experience with Clark's Jungle Hammock?  I found out about it on one of the other message boards and since this list has fairly extensive knowledge of Hammocking I wonder if there isn't someone who has tried it?

      I need to know something of a comparison between the big three, Speer, Hennessy, and Clark's.

      Anyone?

      Skylander Jack
    • gonzzo55
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 27, 2003
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Bror8588@A... wrote:
        > Does anyone on this list have any experience with Clark's Jungle
        Hammock? I
        > found out about it on one of the other message boards and since
        this list has
        > fairly extensive knowledge of Hammocking I wonder if there isn't
        someone who
        > has tried it?
        >
        > I need to know something of a comparison between the big three,
        Speer,
        > Hennessy, and Clark's.
        >
        > Anyone?
        >
        > Skylander Jack

        I have owned a couple of diferent models of the CJH, my current
        model is the redesigned deluxe model with the xl fly and i love it.
        I started to use CJH about 2 1/2 yrs with the deluxe, then for
        giggles i switched to the UL model until i got the current model.
        CJH, IMHO are the best backpacking hammocks on the market. My reason
        for this is as simple as comfort. The other hammocks are outstanding
        products and deserve honorable mention. I prefer my CJH because (for
        me) it is easyer to get in and out of the hammock. With dual access,
        i can put on my sleeping bag(EXPED Wallkreeper, both models,
        depending on temp)lay down my pad, get in, take off my boots and
        store them, pull my legs in and close my bag, all without having to
        wrestle with my pad. Zip the skeeter netting shut and SNOOZE. I do
        sometimes have to use a green milspec pad when it gets in the low
        40's, anything below that temperature i use a full length thermarest
        UL. This setup has worked great down to 20 degree weather.

        I do have to mention one other thing, this is again MHO. The
        Feathered Friends Rock wren line of bags, The EXPED Wallkreeper line
        of bags and the NUNATAK GEAR Raku bag are the BEST bags for hammock
        use. The armholes along with the bottom hole make entry and exit on
        any hammock a flash.

        I own both of the EXPED Wallkreeper bags and had to get rid of my FF
        Wren(long story), now my goal is to sell my soul and get me the
        NUNATAK Raku.

        I hope i havent bored anyone with my rave on the CJH. Good luck.
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 27, 2003
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "gonzzo55" <undtker55@h...>
          wrote:

          > I have owned a couple of diferent models of the CJH, my current
          > model is the redesigned deluxe model with the xl fly and i love it.
          > I started to use CJH about 2 1/2 yrs with the deluxe, then for
          > giggles i switched to the UL model until i got the current model.
          > CJH, IMHO are the best backpacking hammocks on the market. My
          reason
          > for this is as simple as comfort. The other hammocks are
          outstanding
          > products and deserve honorable mention. I prefer my CJH because
          (for
          > me) it is easyer to get in and out of the hammock. With dual
          access,
          > i can put on my sleeping bag(EXPED Wallkreeper, both models,
          > depending on temp)lay down my pad, get in, take off my boots and
          > store them, pull my legs in and close my bag, all without having to
          > wrestle with my pad. Zip the skeeter netting shut and SNOOZE. I do
          > sometimes have to use a green milspec pad when it gets in the low
          > 40's, anything below that temperature i use a full length
          thermarest
          > UL. This setup has worked great down to 20 degree weather.

          Thanks for the info for the CJH, I haven't seen much first hand info
          about them on this site.

          I assume you are using the six pockets under the hammock for
          insulation as well as storage. What about the 'weather shield'? How
          have they worked out? Especially the insulation part. I have always
          wondered if the pockets and weather shield were 'worth their
          weight'... I believe that those two items represent most of the
          weight difference between the 'Deluxe' and 'Tropical' models.

          Youngblood
        • gonzzo55
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 27, 2003
            > Thanks for the info for the CJH, I haven't seen much first hand
            info
            > about them on this site.
            >
            > I assume you are using the six pockets under the hammock for
            > insulation as well as storage. What about the 'weather shield'?
            How
            > have they worked out? Especially the insulation part. I have
            always
            > wondered if the pockets and weather shield were 'worth their
            > weight'... I believe that those two items represent most of the
            > weight difference between the 'Deluxe' and 'Tropical' models.
            >
            > Youngblood

            Hello,

            Yes i do use the pockets for storage and insulation. I can usualy
            unload my whole pack and store everything under the hammock. That
            way everything is at reach when i need it. I have thought about
            making some down pillows to stuff in the pockets for insulation,
            this way i can get rid of the pad and just use a top down blanket,
            not sure if ill ever get around to making them though.

            I have only used the weather shield 1-2 times, neither one of them
            was during rain. It works great for warming the inside of the
            hammock and when them winds are realy kick'n. You could do away with
            the shield simply by adjusting the xl fly acordingly. I like to have
            a view out of my hammock so i tend to set it up as high as i can and
            i use my treking poles as suports for the rainfly. This way i
            achieve a better pitch and if rain comes, i can reach both poles,
            swing them under the hammock and create a cocoon type shelter.

            Hope this helps.
          • hdnat
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 28, 2003
              I have the Ultralight model and use it with a Big Agnes sleeping bag
              and either a thermarest or blue foam pad. My favrite feature is the
              loop at the head of the hammock that I can grab to reposition myself
              in the hammock. The ultralight only has one set of pockets under the
              shoulder area of the hammock. I use the pocket on the side I'm
              entering through for my boots, a water bottle, and the hammock's
              stuff sack, the other side gets the sleeping bag stuff sack, anything
              I had in my pockets, and other miscellaneous junk.

              I added a ridgeline inside the hammock to hang my headlamp and
              glasses from. I've also considered making a down or primaloft
              overquilt/underquilt combo, but have been so satisfied with the Big
              Agnes in the hammock that I've never taken the time. Having a pad
              seems to help with sleeping on my side, but I have gone without the
              no pad in warm weather, using a lightweight fleece blanket and been
              comfortable.

              If I was replacing this hammock, I would get the same model with the
              XL fly.

              Sgt. Rock has a comparison review of the Clark and the Hennessy on
              his site (www.hikinghq.net).

              dn