RE: Hammock Camping Digest Number 203

  • Paul & Linda Bucca
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 25 9:18 AM
      Doesn't surprise me-the entire HH organization are quality folks!
      Paul

      From: Mark Bayern <mark@...>
      2. Heavy weight hammoks...
      From: Tony Burnett <tburnettcis@...>
      3. Hennessy Customer Service
      From: "tonydemarco66" <tonydemarco66@...>
      4. The Safari
      From: "tonydemarco66" <tonydemarco66@...>
      5. Alternative anchor set up
      From: "Jim & Marlis Greenway" <greenway@...>
      6. Re: Alternative anchor set up
      From: "ciyd01" <ciyd@...>
      7. Neat Sheet as GI Taco bottom
      From: "Jamie" <jdeben@...>

      Message: 1
      Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 08:08:14 -0500
      From: Mark Bayern <mark@...>
      Subject: Re: Mosquito bites thru HH fabric

      At 01:21 PM 7/23/2003 +0000, you wrote:
      >You misunderstood my point. If I decide to hike for one month, or any
      >long period, the pyrethum spray will not last, so I will have to take
      >along the whole container.

      Why not include the pyrethum in your resupply materials instead of
      carrying it?

      Mark

      Message: 2
      Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 10:09:21 -0700 (PDT)
      From: Tony Burnett <tburnettcis@...>
      Subject: Heavy weight hammoks...

      Check out these "tree tents"...

      http://www.trease.biz

      The quote is great...

      "Our flagship, premier model, the FloatingDome1, a spacious tent for
      one and yet well within backpacking's lightweight needs"

      It weights 10# 5oz. Yikes! I'd hate to see what they think
      heavyweight means.

      =====
      Tony

      http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com

      Message: 3
      Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 21:03:45 -0000
      From: "tonydemarco66" <tonydemarco66@...>
      Subject: Hennessy Customer Service

      I wanted to pass along what I thought was really outstanding
      customer service from HH.
      I purchased the Expedition originally.

      After owning the E for about a month, and having slept in it maybe
      half a dozen times, at 6'3", ultimately thought I might be better
      served by the Big Dog: The Safari.

      On a whim, I emailed; info@..., and explained that
      while I had purchased the hammock originally from a place online
      called southsummit, I was wondering if I could upgrade through
      Hennessy, because southsummit didn't offer the Safari.

      Lo, and behold, I got an email from someone signing the
      email "Ann", and she informed me I could mail my hammock in, pay the
      extra $20.00+ shipping, and they'd send me out a Safari.

      I was very pleased, because I thought not having purchased it from
      them directly, originally, might be a big problem.

      The transaction went smoothly, and I now have my new Safari.

      Kudos, to HH

      Message: 4
      Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 21:15:08 -0000
      From: "tonydemarco66" <tonydemarco66@...>
      Subject: The Safari

      Does anyone else own the Safari?

      I was surprised by a couple of things.

      1st, no clipping the fly to the hammock lines on both ends twice.
      Only the tensioner related fastening.

      2nd, two tie outs on both sides of the fly, which is now a
      symetrical, sort of diamond shape (there are little pockets built in
      to the corners, to stuff the guy-lines).

      3rd, the rainfly is of a significantly thicker nylon product. It
      seems much more two-sided than on the E, inasmuch as one side is of
      a very different texture, and I wonder which side for sure, I should
      have facing up.

      Having said that, it is much roomier. I haven't experimented with
      it much yet, but I think it will be more comfortable.

      It was much more difficult to pack away with the 'snakeskins' due
      largely to the thicker, bigger rainfly.

      Also, I thought I had read some reviews of the Safari which
      indicated some kind of zipper entrance, but this has the standard
      velcro, which seems fine.

      Any personal observations with the product, would be appreciated.

      T.

      Message: 5
      Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 18:14:41 -0400
      From: "Jim & Marlis Greenway" <greenway@...>
      Subject: Alternative anchor set up

      I think the "figure 8 to make a loop" would be called a "figure 8 on a
      bight" or a "figure 8 on a retrace" depending on whether you tied a
      figure 8
      in a folded-over piece of webbing or if you tied a figure 8 in the
      webbing
      and then made the loop by retracing the running end of the webbing back
      through the original figure 8. You can see an animated version of the
      fig-8
      at http://www.mistral.co.uk/42brghtn/knots/42ktfig8.html An illustration
      of
      the fig 8 on a bight is on page 3 of the pdf document
      http://www.western.edu/wscmrt/docs/pdf/rope_trng.pdf

      An anchor that's working well for me is a "tensionless tieoff" or
      "tensionless hitch." I tried to write an explanation of it but realized
      that
      a reference to the illustration and directions on page 4 at
      http://www.western.edu/wscmrt/docs/pdf/rope_trng.pdf would be easier on
      everyone. I use a small loop and a Black Diamond wire-gate "accessory
      carabiner" to finish the hitch. The lightweight aluminum accessory biner
      safely does the trick since the biner is not a load-bearing part of the
      system. It just keeps the end of the webbing from falling. It's very
      fast
      (<1minute) in both setup and knock-down and preserves the most webbing
      strength. This hitch is used a lot in rope rescue anchor systems. You
      could
      always dump the biner and use a bowline, etc. but then you're back to
      tieing
      knots again.

      Jim in NW Ga.

      Message: 6
      Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 23:09:41 -0000
      From: "ciyd01" <ciyd@...>
      Subject: Re: Alternative anchor set up

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Jim & Marlis Greenway"
      <greenway@b...> wrote:
      > I think the "figure 8 to make a loop" would be called a "figure 8
      on a
      > bight" or a "figure 8 on a retrace"

      "Figure 8 on a bight" and "follow through figure 8" are structurally
      the exact same knot. The former is used if you are going to clip
      into the loop because it is faster to tie. The latter is used when
      you are going to tie into your harness (or something that can't clip
      in to the loop): after you've tied the first figure 8, you run the
      free end through the harness and finish off the follow through. No
      carabiner, which could accidentally open or break, is required.

      > An anchor that's working well for me is a "tensionless tieoff" or
      > "tensionless hitch." I tried to write an explanation of it but
      realized that
      > a reference to the illustration and directions on page 4 at
      > http://www.western.edu/wscmrt/docs/pdf/rope_trng.pdf would be
      easier on
      > everyone.

      This is really handy and should be pretty easy to do just by looking
      at the illustrations. If I find a tree small enough I will try this
      out with my 10' webbing. Thanks for the link. Do you use 4 loops
      around the tree or do you use more?

      ciyd

      Message: 7
      Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 23:45:48 -0000
      From: "Jamie" <jdeben@...>
      Subject: Neat Sheet as GI Taco bottom

      Okay I know it isn't winter anymore but I did a little experiment
      with something similar to the GI taco. I took a Neat Sheet and cut
      it to fit under the bottom of my HH Ultralight B-packer. I cut the
      Sheet somewhat asymmetrically just like the hammock and put a hole on
      each corner for the guy lines to go through. I sewed a 3/4 inch fold
      along the edges so it wouldn't fray were I cut it and so I could
      thread a shock cord from a tent pole repair kit through it. I ran
      the cord along the sides so it would keep a tighter fit to the
      hammock body. For the entrance slit in the HH I just left that end
      hanging and when I got into the hammock I pulled the end of the Sheet
      up into the hammock, sealed the Velcro slit around it and tied the
      Sheet off to the ridge line.
      For this first try I didn't use my pad because it was too heavy.
      Instead I used a fleece blanket folded in half for added protection
      from the outside forces of nature. I was hanging at 8,000 ft and the
      lowest temps during the night were between 50F and 55F with very
      little wind, I'm sure less than 5 mph.
      On the inside of hammock I slept in cotton sweat pants, wool blend
      socks, t-shirt and 100g light weight fleece pull-over, nothing
      covering my head. I used my 20-degree sleeping bag as a blanket but
      really didn't need it for most of the night.

      I was sung as a bug in a rug with this set up. So I guess the Neat
      Sheet is a really cheap ($6.99 at Target) and workable option for a
      hammock bottom insulator.

      Jamie in AZ

      ---
      Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.