Neat Sheet as GI Taco bottom

  • Jamie
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 24, 2003
      Okay I know it isn't winter anymore but I did a little experiment
      with something similar to the GI taco. I took a Neat Sheet and cut
      it to fit under the bottom of my HH Ultralight B-packer. I cut the
      Sheet somewhat asymmetrically just like the hammock and put a hole on
      each corner for the guy lines to go through. I sewed a 3/4 inch fold
      along the edges so it wouldn't fray were I cut it and so I could
      thread a shock cord from a tent pole repair kit through it. I ran
      the cord along the sides so it would keep a tighter fit to the
      hammock body. For the entrance slit in the HH I just left that end
      hanging and when I got into the hammock I pulled the end of the Sheet
      up into the hammock, sealed the Velcro slit around it and tied the
      Sheet off to the ridge line.
      For this first try I didn't use my pad because it was too heavy.
      Instead I used a fleece blanket folded in half for added protection
      from the outside forces of nature. I was hanging at 8,000 ft and the
      lowest temps during the night were between 50F and 55F with very
      little wind, I'm sure less than 5 mph.
      On the inside of hammock I slept in cotton sweat pants, wool blend
      socks, t-shirt and 100g light weight fleece pull-over, nothing
      covering my head. I used my 20-degree sleeping bag as a blanket but
      really didn't need it for most of the night.

      I was sung as a bug in a rug with this set up. So I guess the Neat
      Sheet is a really cheap ($6.99 at Target) and workable option for a
      hammock bottom insulator.

      Jamie in AZ
    • Risk
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 25, 2003
        Hi Jamie,

        Sounds like you are making progress with the bottom layer of
        insulation. Good work.

        The worst problem I had last winter was with a night that was so
        windy that I could not get out of the wind even on the far side of
        big obstructions. I found the bottom shell of a stantard Garlington
        Insulator acting like a sail. The plastic bags it held blew away. It
        was at that point that I gave up on the idea of holding the shell up
        against the edges of the hammock with just a tight line. I began
        experimenting with holding the edges with velcro.

        Unfortunately, it is just when the wind picks up that the bottom
        insulation becomes very important... It keeps mixing up the air in
        the space and if a big air leak occurs (an edge opening and taking in
        a gulp of wind), suddenly your heated air in the space gets replaced
        with fresh cold air again.

        I eventually gave up on the idea of a simple air sack insulator for
        these reasons. I will follow your progress with interest. However,
        before setting out to places with few options, I would test any new
        set-up in the wind.

        Rick
      • Ray Garlington
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 25, 2003
          Jamie,

          Do you have a picture of your setup that you could post? I'd like to
          see how you did the side guy lines.
        • tcoug7
          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 25, 2003
            Rick...a couple of questions:

            Was this with your HH or your Speer?

            How far up the sides did you run your insulator?
            - with ties?
            - with velcro?

            When you were in wind that strong, how was your tarp/fly pitched?

            Thanks...Tim

            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 25, 2003
              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Risk" <geoflyfisher@y...>
              wrote:

              > The worst problem I had last winter was with a night that was so
              > windy that I could not get out of the wind even on the far side of
              > big obstructions. I found the bottom shell of a stantard
              Garlington
              > Insulator acting like a sail. The plastic bags it held blew away.

              For people using an insulator shell on a Speer Hammock, I'm pretty
              sure you can eliminate this problem by more carefully fitting the
              shell to the hammock bottom (like your second skin hammock).

              Although I haven't experienced this problem, I think it is caused
              when the windspeed is fairly high and coming from the foot end. At
              this end, the hammock bottom is very tight and the shell's footend
              drawstring is relatively loose, so air would be blown in between
              creating the sail condition.

              On the Speer hammock, there is no need to fashion a drawstring entry
              at the foot, so by sizing the insulator shell so that it is longer,
              you can make the footend like the head end (tied to the support
              ropes) which would be more aerodynamic. If you do this, the problem
              can't occur from the foot or head end up to about quartering winds.
              This leaves the direct side wind condition to deal with. In this
              case, lowering the tarp would deflect side winds. (however, I think
              if you cut the shell to match the hammock bottom the wind would
              merely luff over the shell, even in a side wind condition)
            • Risk
              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 25, 2003
                That night was a truely awsome night with temperature about 25
                degrees F. I was finding out how bug net would work to keep blowing
                snow out without a tarp, so the tarp was not pitched. Wind speeds in
                the open were reported at 50 mph. I was hidden at the base of a rock
                wall about 5 feet below the surrounding surface. There was also a
                minivan parked about 30 feet directly upwind.

                I was using a single layer Speer (type)Hammock and a not very
                modified Garlington Insulator. It had a drawstring at each end which
                was cinched tight and tied to the cloth knots of the hammock. The
                edges of the insulator contained a draw string which had been pulled
                tight and the edges were a little above the hammock/bug net junction
                at the middle of the span.

                Your question is interesting in that I now believe that using a
                rectangular tarp would have shielded the top edges of the insulator
                quite a bit. Interesting point! I have used my 5x10 foot tarp in
                winds that exceed 40 miles per hour (thunderstorm) since then. The
                edges of the tarp tend to pull downward and cover more of the hammock
                as the wind increases from the side.

                Rick

                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 25, 2003
                  Rick,
                  While we did not have much wind the one night I have tested the Neat
                  Sheet, I think you bring up a valid point. Having followed all the
                  posts regarding this topic since the group began, I too have the wind
                  issue on my mind. Now that I have a begining, I hope to improve apon
                  it. We'll see how it goes.
                  Thank you for breaking the ground for me an others with your many
                  tests by the way.

                  Jamie in AZ

                  wrote:
                  > Hi Jamie,
                  >
                  > Sounds like you are making progress with the bottom layer of
                  > insulation. Good work.
                  >
                  > The worst problem I had last winter was with a night that was so
                  > windy that I could not get out of the wind even on the far side of
                  > big obstructions. I found the bottom shell of a stantard
                  Garlington
                  > Insulator acting like a sail. The plastic bags it held blew away.
                  It
                  > was at that point that I gave up on the idea of holding the shell
                  up
                  > against the edges of the hammock with just a tight line. I began
                  > experimenting with holding the edges with velcro.
                  >
                  > Unfortunately, it is just when the wind picks up that the bottom
                  > insulation becomes very important... It keeps mixing up the air in
                  > the space and if a big air leak occurs (an edge opening and taking
                  in
                  > a gulp of wind), suddenly your heated air in the space gets
                  replaced
                  > with fresh cold air again.
                  >
                  > I eventually gave up on the idea of a simple air sack insulator for
                  > these reasons. I will follow your progress with interest.
                  However,
                  > before setting out to places with few options, I would test any new
                  > set-up in the wind.
                  >
                  > Rick
                • Jamie
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jul 25, 2003
                    Hi Ray, unfortunately I didn't bring my camara on the trip, but I
                    will be setting the hammock up in my yard soon so I can play with the
                    insulator a bit more. I will try to take some shots and post them
                    then.

                    Jamie in az

                    <rgarling@y...> wrote:
                    > Jamie,
                    >
                    > Do you have a picture of your setup that you could post? I'd like
                    > see how you did the side guy lines.
                  • firefly
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jul 26, 2003

                      Hi,
                      Do any of you know how to clean the straps of a HH after a week of use? Mine have sap patches from the trees and I know this cannot be good for them. I am concerned if I use a solvent it will weaken the fabric.  Thanks, Marsanne
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jul 27, 2003
                        Message
                        First Marsanne--thanks for talking to hikers about hammocks on your recent trip to the Desolation Wilderness in CA.  Yes, one guy you met on the trail called me and orderd a hammock!  I can't thank you enough.  After talking to you, he went to REI and found my book, then called and ordered a hammock. I'm in your debt now!

                        Karen's suggestions for cleaning your HH straps sounds good.  I too have tree sap on a tarp I use often--it's tiny drops of slightly dark spots scattered over some sections of the tarp and I assue it's sap from the trees that has dropped onto the tarp; I haven't tried to remove them yet.  I just wanted to add that your concern about using a strong solvent is probably right.  Any oil/gasoline-based cleaning solvent would probably be harmful on plastics like nylon, polpropylene, polyester, spectra, etc.  Clothes-safe detergents should be OK.  I don't know about chlorine-based bleach cleaners like Chlorox, but I suspect they should also be avoided--maybe others can shed some light on using bleaches....Ed

                        Message 11 of 15 , Jul 27, 2003
                          Message
                          Ed,
                          This is great! I am delighted to hear I was able to help a good person get business, and you are absooutely NOT in my debt at all! I had that hammock hanging right by the trail at Aloha Lake for 2 days. It was the only place I could find with combination right sized trees, etc. Even if I had had the longer straps I would not have gone up into the Redwoods. Bugs were even worse there. Mine was the only hammock out there. Lots of people noticed it. I did day hikes and while I was out, without knowing it was mine, some folks would say, "Hey, did you see that hammock?" I told a couple of dozen people that I will probably never sleep in a tent again. The US Forest Service officer who was out checking permits--a really nice lady--was carrying a huge load and she was about the size of a pencil--was really happy about its low impact aspects. There's an REI in Reno. I didn't notice your book there, or I would have bought it.  Word of mouth marketing is the absolute best kind because it has the most credibility.  There are a couple dozen (or less) PCT thru-hikers right now using hammocks, and they have been nicknamed Ewoks by the other hikers. Because they live in trees.

                          As for the straps, I am not up for fooling with peanut butter, under any circumstances. YICK! Maybe olive oil, though. I am really just concerned about keeping the straps in good shape. After more than a week of heavy use I feel like they need some kind of care, just not sure what.  It is so blasted HOT down here right now I can barely make myself go outside for any reason. Thank God for the health club or I would be the size of a house!   MARSANNE

                          First Marsanne--thanks for talking to hikers about hammocks on your recent trip to the Desolation Wilderness in CA.  Yes, one guy you met on the trail called me and orderd a hammock!  I can't thank you enough.  After talking to you, he went to REI and found my book, then called and ordered a hammock. I'm in your debt now!

                          Karen's suggestions for cleaning your HH straps sounds good.  I   I don't know about chlorine-based bleach cleaners like Chlorox, but I suspect they should also be avoided--maybe others can shed some light on using bleaches....Ed

                        • robi dawson
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jul 27, 2003
                            what about ice? i have used ice to remove chewing gum from clothes, maybe sap would come off too if you ice it.. and if weather is hot there like it is here, then the ice will feel so good.....

                            robi

                            At 11:01 AM 7/27/03 -0400, Ed Speer wrote:
[...]

                            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                            b7fa0.jpg
                            b80a4.jpg

                          • macrutt94530
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jul 28, 2003

                              > Hi,
                              > Do any of you know how to clean the straps of a HH after a week
                              of use?
                              > Mine have sap patches from the trees and I know this cannot be
                              good for
                              > them. I am concerned if I use a solvent it will weaken the
                              fabric. Thanks,
                              >Marsanne`

                              Hi,

                              George almost 60 been backpacking for almost 50 years now .
                              I've almost ultra lightweight(21lbs) for my 4 day trip in Desoation.
                              Yes Marsanne you are the one.I asked how you liked your hammock and
                              you replied,"Best nights sleep I've ever had ,I've used two Deet's
                              already if someone find a cure for these d#*# mosquitos!!"
                              I was sold.

                              RE: your HH straps, Try the ice first, then if it doesn't work I'd
                              try
                              Goo Gone(magic american corp) please read the direcion first and do
                              a test and rinse very well.

                              Good luck George
                            • Chester Clocksin
                              Message 14 of 15 , Jul 28, 2003
                                Goo Gone works very well. I have used to clean my tarp and web straps, and I haven't noticed any problems from it.

                                Chet