Sleeping Pad.

  • Jason Sadler
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 19, 2003
      Why do so many ppl use a sleeping pad while sleeping in a hammock?  You are in the in the air off the ground??  Have I missed out by not using one in the past?
      -Jason S

      If a man hiking alone in the woods has a thought and his wife is not around to hear him...... Is he still wrong?
      Environmental Needs www.allied-environmental.com
    • David Chinell
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 19, 2003
        Jason:

        I beleve I can speak for most hammockers when I say the we'd rather NOT use a sleeping pad, just the unadultered hammock. You HAVE to use one in cold weather to keep from freezing whatever part of you is pressing against the bottom of the hammock. That's the only reason -- insulation.

        That's the reason why the Pea Pod is such a good deal. Since the insulation is underneath the hammock it doesn't get flattened, hence keeps working and keeps your back (or side) warm. In the low to mid 40s you could probably just use the Pea Pod and leave the pad at home.

        Bear
      • Marge Prothman
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 19, 2003
          Message
          Jason,

          The only reason I use a pad is for the cold, if I am up at 10,000 ft in the summer, it could easily get down below 40degrees at night time.  Where I live, the temperature this morning was 8 F.  So I would say the pad is for the cold air coming up under your hammock.  If it is cold out, you would be warmer just sleeping on the ground.

          Marge

          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 19, 2003
            Message
            Marge:

            I kind of wondered about that -- whether you'd be warmer just sleeping on the ground. I only have one experience of comparing the two.

            I was beside a lake once, and it was too cold to sleep in my HH, so I got out and prepared to spend the rest of the night sitting on a rock. The rock was still warm from the day, but a bit hard, so I got my pad out. Gradually, I migrated lower and lower until I was on the pad on the ground with my quilt on top. It felt warmer. It was warm enough to sleep, anyway.

            Does anybody have any experience that convinces them that in identical (or the same) situations it's warmer on the ground?

            Bear