Re: Desolation Wilderness Report -- long tree straps

  • ptoddf@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 21 8:34 AM
      Marsanne,

      Excellent hike report, useful details on vicinity. I want to do the Tahoe Loop Trail.

      On longer tree straps, I got a set of 2 about 8 foot luggage tie down straps at Orchard Supply Hardware in L.A. for about $5. These are plenty heavy, but have a 50 lb test label on them, because of those onerous California state regulations you mentioned. This must be for the stamped steel buckle, get rid of it. Non-stretch and definitely not nylon.

      Tied a loop with a single overhand knot in each end, ended up about 6 1/2 feet long. Took one on a week in Yosemite over the 4th, and used it twice. Very, very useful accessory. A 2 foot diameter tree is over 6 feet around! I looped the std HH tree strap through the long straps loops and tied off to that as usual. Got a great hang where I couldn't have otherwise!  Also can use the long strap around a smaller tree to make an extention for when they're too far apart.  Used it around a large rock once too, other cord to a tree as usual. Weight=37 grams each.

      Best, Todd in Tarzana.