Re: Hammock Camping Things I've learned and a couple of questions

  • amy
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 14, 2003
      On Monday, July 14, 2003, at 06:30 PM, ciyd01 wrote:
      > Questions:
      >
      > 1) When staking out the sides of the Ultra light backpacker, is
      > wider better? Is it more comfortable?

      I like wide for good weather. In poor weather I stake it narrow so
      I can get the fly down low and still get some air in.

      > 2) I found that, in the rain, having the fly and hammock use
      > different sets of stakes gave me better ventilation without allowing
      > the bug netting to touch the fly. Is anybody else using this? Is it
      > overkill?

      I do this. Ventilation is key. I don't think it's overkill.

      > 3) How tight is best to string the hammock? Ed Speer mentioned that
      > his hammock design is more comfortable with some sag. Is this true
      > for the Hennesey Asym?

      Yes, the Hennessey is also more comfy with some sag. It stretches a bit
      when I first get in, so I actually string it up pretty tight and then
      after I put
      weight on it, it sags just right. You can really see the difference
      after
      I get in and out the first time.

      -amy