Dang!

  • astrosteve_2000
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 27, 2011
      I got all pumped up when I saw there was a yahoo group for hammocks! Thought there'd be more activity on here. Anyone have a do-it-yourself recipe for a rain fly?
    • Steve Ebb
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 28, 2011
        Try Ed Speers 8x10 tarp instructions
        http://www.speerhammocks.com/Assets/Articles/SewTarp.htm

        I made one it cost around $40 for the materials and a few hours learning how
        to use a sewing machine.

        Steve Ebb (mobile phone)
        EMS Coordinator
        Gatlinburg Fire Dept.
        (865) 430-7558

        On Jul 28, 2011, at 9:15 AM, astrosteve_2000 <astrosteve_2000@...>
        wrote:

        I got all pumped up when I saw there was a yahoo group for hammocks! Thought
        there'd be more activity on here. Anyone have a do-it-yourself recipe for a
        rain fly?

      • James Conley
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 28, 2011
          Ed Speer's book has instructions for doing so but I've not made a rainfly. I
          made a hammock using his instructions using a standard sewing machine but
          came away thinking that using a surger sure would've been better. I can't
          justify the cost though since I have no other real use for such a tool.

          --------------------------------------
          James C.
          james.conley@...

          On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 6:10 PM, astrosteve_2000
          <astrosteve_2000@...>wrote:

          > **
          >

          > I got all pumped up when I saw there was a yahoo group for hammocks!
          > Thought there'd be more activity on here. Anyone have a do-it-yourself
          > recipe for a rain fly?

        • debbie briscoe
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 28, 2011
            That's because a lot of us are at hammockforums.net :)

            To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
            From: astrosteve_2000@...
            Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 22:10:41 +0000
            Subject: [Hammock Camping] Dang!

            I got all pumped up when I saw there was a yahoo group for hammocks! Thought there'd be more activity on here. Anyone have a do-it-yourself recipe for a rain fly?

          • Carey
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 28, 2011
              Well, your guess was correct, hangers are an active lot, but the limitations of a Yahoo group and the often in-op search function caused a move to http://www.hammockforums.net/ I personally don't care for Yahoo groups at all technically, but I go where the people are. Glad to see they moved to a forum with proper tools.

              Carey

              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "astrosteve_2000" <astrosteve_2000@...> wrote:

              > I got all pumped up when I saw there was a yahoo group for hammocks! Thought there'd be more activity on here. Anyone have a do-it-yourself recipe for a rain fly?

            • Richard Perlman
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 28, 2011
                On 7/27/2011 6:10 PM, astrosteve_2000 wrote:
                > I got all pumped up when I saw there was a yahoo group for hammocks! Thought there'd be more activity on here. Anyone have a do-it-yourself recipe for a rain fly?

                This list all but died, soon after *http://hammockforums.net/ *was
                launched. I'm sure you'll find your recipe there.

                Rich (who likes mailing lists better than bulletin boards)

              • sawyer7271
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 29, 2011
                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "astrosteve_2000" <astrosteve_2000@...> wrote:

                  > I got all pumped up when I saw there was a yahoo group for hammocks! Thought there'd be more activity on here. Anyone have a do-it-yourself recipe for a rain fly?

                  Lots of options for DIY Rainfly's. Hammock forums' DIY forum is a good start, so's this:

                  http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockCampingDry.html#DIY