Re: [Hammock Camping] Appalachian Trail adventure book by hammock-hanging hiker...

  • P-A
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 1, 2011
      Well done and good luck at Dayton de se4a/sm4inv

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis" <k1ypp@...> wrote:

      > Good Day Aaron, N9ANE and Dick, KD0CGS:
      > Seems to be a disproportionate number of hammock hangers that are hams,
      > not quite certain why? When I wrote the book it was my intention to give
      > just enough info about ham radio so that it might spark interest in a
      > few readers...that has certainly been the case.
      > Hiking and ham radio go well together. I was able to communicate over
      > the entire length of the trail, and using Morse code, was able to lay in
      > my hammock with headphones on and using my hand to send the code, the
      > other hikers were not even aware that I was using a radio. This, in
      > contrast to cell phones where I usually had to leave the immediate area
      > so as not to distract others.
      > Interestingly, the book is about my hike of the AT, and having heart
      > surgery right in the middle of the hike, yet if you look at the various
      > tags for the book on amazon.com, it ranks as the most popular amateur
      > radio book at the moment: Ham Tags <http://tinyurl.com/3jq49q5>
      > Even though I did take 300 days off for the heart surgery (six-artery
      > bypass), I feel I have braggin' rights: I finished, Bill Bryson didn't!
      > In the book I emphasized how happy I was with my hammock on the hike. To
      > me, it had so many advantages over a tent. I didn't even carry a roll-up
      > sleeping pad. On a few occasions I even purposely hung it over places
      > that a tent would prove impossible: a stream, a pile of logs and a
      > boulder. I had fun with it.
      > Oh, I'll be at the Dayton Hamvention this year and do my AT presentation
      > on Sunday morning (May 22) at 10:30. Stop by if you're attending the
      > convention. Spread the word, I'd love to have a full house. Forums:
      > <http://www.hamvention.org/files/2011ForumSched.pdf>
      > 73
      > Dennis, K1YPP
      > Author of: Three Hundred Zeroes: <http://tinyurl.com/2f74mdt> Lessons
      > of the Heart on the Appalachian Trail
      >
      > A non-fiction adventure travel story on the Appalachian Trail
      >
      > Finalist in the 2010 Next Generation Indie Book Awards Contest
      >
      > Available on Amazon.com, <http://tinyurl.com/248ymjg> Smashwords
      > <http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/34135?ref=k1ypp> and Kindle
      > <http://tinyurl.com/2cvecyg> .
      >

      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Dick Dahlen" <ddahlen@>

    • Aaron Eidt
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 1, 2011
        If any one is interested in getting there license let me know I will help who
        ever wants it

        N4ANE
        Aaron

        ________________________________

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 1, 2011
          Ok you got my call wrong it has a 4 in it and not a 9 but no problem I am hoping
          to go this year but I dont know me and a couple of friends are trying to put
          some money for fuel and hotel so that we can go

          N4ANE
          Aaron

          ________________________________

          Camping] Appalachian Trail adventure book by hammock-hanging hiker...
          > Hmmm you said Ham radio well I am a general class operator so if any
          people are > interested in it let me know > > N4ANE thats my call >
          Aaron...

        • Ivan Hazelton
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 1, 2011
            Just thought I'd throw in my $0.02 to the conversation...from Alaska, which
            may be DX territory for some of you... I've been a Tech for a about 18 mos,
            studying for my General.

            -Ivan Hazelton
            KL2UG

            On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 06:27, Dennis <k1ypp@...> wrote:

            > Good Day Aaron, N9ANE and Dick, KD0CGS:
            > ....snip...
            >

            > Oh, I'll be at the Dayton Hamvention this year and do my AT presentation
            > on Sunday morning (May 22) at 10:30. Stop by if you're attending the
            > convention. Spread the word, I'd love to have a full house. Forums:
            > <http://www.hamvention.org/files/2011ForumSched.pdf>
            > 73
            > Dennis, K1YPP

          • Aaron Eidt
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 1, 2011
              Ok great well good luck getting your general

              N4ANE
              Aaron