Re: [Hammock Camping] Appalachian Trail adventure book by hammock-hanging hiker...

  • Dennis
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 1 7:27 AM
      Good Day Aaron, N9ANE and Dick, KD0CGS:
      Seems to be a disproportionate number of hammock hangers that are hams,
      not quite certain why? When I wrote the book it was my intention to give
      just enough info about ham radio so that it might spark interest in a
      few readers...that has certainly been the case.
      Hiking and ham radio go well together. I was able to communicate over
      the entire length of the trail, and using Morse code, was able to lay in
      my hammock with headphones on and using my hand to send the code, the
      other hikers were not even aware that I was using a radio. This, in
      contrast to cell phones where I usually had to leave the immediate area
      so as not to distract others.
      Interestingly, the book is about my hike of the AT, and having heart
      surgery right in the middle of the hike, yet if you look at the various
      tags for the book on amazon.com, it ranks as the most popular amateur
      radio book at the moment: Ham Tags <http://tinyurl.com/3jq49q5>
      Even though I did take 300 days off for the heart surgery (six-artery
      bypass), I feel I have braggin' rights: I finished, Bill Bryson didn't!
      In the book I emphasized how happy I was with my hammock on the hike. To
      me, it had so many advantages over a tent. I didn't even carry a roll-up
      sleeping pad. On a few occasions I even purposely hung it over places
      that a tent would prove impossible: a stream, a pile of logs and a
      boulder. I had fun with it.
      Oh, I'll be at the Dayton Hamvention this year and do my AT presentation
      on Sunday morning (May 22) at 10:30. Stop by if you're attending the
      convention. Spread the word, I'd love to have a full house. Forums:
      <http://www.hamvention.org/files/2011ForumSched.pdf>
      73
      Dennis, K1YPP
      Author of: Three Hundred Zeroes: <http://tinyurl.com/2f74mdt> Lessons
      of the Heart on the Appalachian Trail

      A non-fiction adventure travel story on the Appalachian Trail

      Finalist in the 2010 Next Generation Indie Book Awards Contest

      Available on Amazon.com, <http://tinyurl.com/248ymjg> Smashwords
      <http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/34135?ref=k1ypp> and Kindle
      <http://tinyurl.com/2cvecyg> .

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Dick Dahlen" <ddahlen@...>
      Camping] Appalachian Trail adventure book by hammock-hanging hiker...
      > Hmmm you said Ham radio well I am a general class operator so if any
      people are > interested in it let me know > > N4ANE thats my call >
      Aaron...

    • P-A
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 1 8:07 AM
        Well done and good luck at Dayton de se4a/sm4inv

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis" <k1ypp@...> wrote:

        > Good Day Aaron, N9ANE and Dick, KD0CGS:
        > Seems to be a disproportionate number of hammock hangers that are hams,
        > not quite certain why? When I wrote the book it was my intention to give
        > just enough info about ham radio so that it might spark interest in a
        > few readers...that has certainly been the case.
        > Hiking and ham radio go well together. I was able to communicate over
        > the entire length of the trail, and using Morse code, was able to lay in
        > my hammock with headphones on and using my hand to send the code, the
        > other hikers were not even aware that I was using a radio. This, in
        > contrast to cell phones where I usually had to leave the immediate area
        > so as not to distract others.
        > Interestingly, the book is about my hike of the AT, and having heart
        > surgery right in the middle of the hike, yet if you look at the various
        > tags for the book on amazon.com, it ranks as the most popular amateur
        > radio book at the moment: Ham Tags <http://tinyurl.com/3jq49q5>
        > Even though I did take 300 days off for the heart surgery (six-artery
        > bypass), I feel I have braggin' rights: I finished, Bill Bryson didn't!
        > In the book I emphasized how happy I was with my hammock on the hike. To
        > me, it had so many advantages over a tent. I didn't even carry a roll-up
        > sleeping pad. On a few occasions I even purposely hung it over places
        > that a tent would prove impossible: a stream, a pile of logs and a
        > boulder. I had fun with it.
        > Oh, I'll be at the Dayton Hamvention this year and do my AT presentation
        > on Sunday morning (May 22) at 10:30. Stop by if you're attending the
        > convention. Spread the word, I'd love to have a full house. Forums:
        > <http://www.hamvention.org/files/2011ForumSched.pdf>
        > 73
        > Dennis, K1YPP
        > Author of: Three Hundred Zeroes: <http://tinyurl.com/2f74mdt> Lessons
        > of the Heart on the Appalachian Trail
        >
        > A non-fiction adventure travel story on the Appalachian Trail
        >
        > Finalist in the 2010 Next Generation Indie Book Awards Contest
        >
        > Available on Amazon.com, <http://tinyurl.com/248ymjg> Smashwords
        > <http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/34135?ref=k1ypp> and Kindle
        > <http://tinyurl.com/2cvecyg> .
        >

        > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Dick Dahlen" <ddahlen@>

      • Aaron Eidt
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 1 8:32 AM
          If any one is interested in getting there license let me know I will help who
          ever wants it

          N4ANE
          Aaron

          ________________________________

          ________________________________
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 1 8:38 AM
            Ok you got my call wrong it has a 4 in it and not a 9 but no problem I am hoping
            to go this year but I dont know me and a couple of friends are trying to put
            some money for fuel and hotel so that we can go

            N4ANE
            Aaron

            ________________________________

            Camping] Appalachian Trail adventure book by hammock-hanging hiker...
            > Hmmm you said Ham radio well I am a general class operator so if any
            people are > interested in it let me know > > N4ANE thats my call >
            Aaron...

          • Ivan Hazelton
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 1 12:06 PM
              Just thought I'd throw in my $0.02 to the conversation...from Alaska, which
              may be DX territory for some of you... I've been a Tech for a about 18 mos,
              studying for my General.

              -Ivan Hazelton
              KL2UG

              On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 06:27, Dennis <k1ypp@...> wrote:

              > Good Day Aaron, N9ANE and Dick, KD0CGS:
              > ....snip...
              >

              > Oh, I'll be at the Dayton Hamvention this year and do my AT presentation
              > on Sunday morning (May 22) at 10:30. Stop by if you're attending the
              > convention. Spread the word, I'd love to have a full house. Forums:
              > <http://www.hamvention.org/files/2011ForumSched.pdf>
              > 73
              > Dennis, K1YPP

            • Aaron Eidt
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 1 8:40 PM
                Ok great well good luck getting your general

                N4ANE
                Aaron