Re: [Hammock Camping] Appalachian Trail adventure book by hammock-hanging hiker...

  • Dick Dahlen
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 31, 2011
      hadn't tried taking an ham radio with while camping in the BWCA. but I do hang
      Dick Dahlen kd0cgs

      "the winner ain't the one with the fastest car its the one who refuses to lose" Dale Earnhardt

      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 31, 2011
        If any one is interested in getting there license let me know I will help who
        ever wants it

        N4ANE
        Aaron

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 1 7:27 AM
          Good Day Aaron, N9ANE and Dick, KD0CGS:
          Seems to be a disproportionate number of hammock hangers that are hams,
          not quite certain why? When I wrote the book it was my intention to give
          just enough info about ham radio so that it might spark interest in a
          few readers...that has certainly been the case.
          Hiking and ham radio go well together. I was able to communicate over
          the entire length of the trail, and using Morse code, was able to lay in
          my hammock with headphones on and using my hand to send the code, the
          other hikers were not even aware that I was using a radio. This, in
          contrast to cell phones where I usually had to leave the immediate area
          so as not to distract others.
          Interestingly, the book is about my hike of the AT, and having heart
          surgery right in the middle of the hike, yet if you look at the various
          tags for the book on amazon.com, it ranks as the most popular amateur
          radio book at the moment: Ham Tags <http://tinyurl.com/3jq49q5>
          Even though I did take 300 days off for the heart surgery (six-artery
          bypass), I feel I have braggin' rights: I finished, Bill Bryson didn't!
          In the book I emphasized how happy I was with my hammock on the hike. To
          me, it had so many advantages over a tent. I didn't even carry a roll-up
          sleeping pad. On a few occasions I even purposely hung it over places
          that a tent would prove impossible: a stream, a pile of logs and a
          boulder. I had fun with it.
          Oh, I'll be at the Dayton Hamvention this year and do my AT presentation
          on Sunday morning (May 22) at 10:30. Stop by if you're attending the
          convention. Spread the word, I'd love to have a full house. Forums:
          <http://www.hamvention.org/files/2011ForumSched.pdf>
          73
          Dennis, K1YPP

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Dick Dahlen" <ddahlen@...>
          Camping] Appalachian Trail adventure book by hammock-hanging hiker...
          > Hmmm you said Ham radio well I am a general class operator so if any
          people are > interested in it let me know > > N4ANE thats my call >
          Aaron...

        • P-A
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 1 8:07 AM
            Well done and good luck at Dayton de se4a/sm4inv

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis" <k1ypp@...> wrote:

            > Good Day Aaron, N9ANE and Dick, KD0CGS:
            > Seems to be a disproportionate number of hammock hangers that are hams,
            > not quite certain why? When I wrote the book it was my intention to give
            > just enough info about ham radio so that it might spark interest in a
            > few readers...that has certainly been the case.
            > Hiking and ham radio go well together. I was able to communicate over
            > the entire length of the trail, and using Morse code, was able to lay in
            > my hammock with headphones on and using my hand to send the code, the
            > other hikers were not even aware that I was using a radio. This, in
            > contrast to cell phones where I usually had to leave the immediate area
            > so as not to distract others.
            > Interestingly, the book is about my hike of the AT, and having heart
            > surgery right in the middle of the hike, yet if you look at the various
            > tags for the book on amazon.com, it ranks as the most popular amateur
            > radio book at the moment: Ham Tags <http://tinyurl.com/3jq49q5>
            > Even though I did take 300 days off for the heart surgery (six-artery
            > bypass), I feel I have braggin' rights: I finished, Bill Bryson didn't!
            > In the book I emphasized how happy I was with my hammock on the hike. To
            > me, it had so many advantages over a tent. I didn't even carry a roll-up
            > sleeping pad. On a few occasions I even purposely hung it over places
            > that a tent would prove impossible: a stream, a pile of logs and a
            > boulder. I had fun with it.
            > Oh, I'll be at the Dayton Hamvention this year and do my AT presentation
            > on Sunday morning (May 22) at 10:30. Stop by if you're attending the
            > convention. Spread the word, I'd love to have a full house. Forums:
            > <http://www.hamvention.org/files/2011ForumSched.pdf>
            > 73
            > Dennis, K1YPP
            > Author of: Three Hundred Zeroes: <http://tinyurl.com/2f74mdt> Lessons
            > of the Heart on the Appalachian Trail
            >
            > A non-fiction adventure travel story on the Appalachian Trail
            >
            > Finalist in the 2010 Next Generation Indie Book Awards Contest
            >
            > Available on Amazon.com, <http://tinyurl.com/248ymjg> Smashwords
            > <http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/34135?ref=k1ypp> and Kindle
            > <http://tinyurl.com/2cvecyg> .
            >

            > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Dick Dahlen" <ddahlen@>

          • Aaron Eidt

              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 1 8:38 AM
                Ok you got my call wrong it has a 4 in it and not a 9 but no problem I am hoping
                to go this year but I dont know me and a couple of friends are trying to put
                some money for fuel and hotel so that we can go

                N4ANE
                Aaron

                ________________________________

                Camping] Appalachian Trail adventure book by hammock-hanging hiker...
                > Hmmm you said Ham radio well I am a general class operator so if any
                people are > interested in it let me know > > N4ANE thats my call >
                Aaron...

              • Ivan Hazelton
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 1 12:06 PM
                  Just thought I'd throw in my $0.02 to the conversation...from Alaska, which
                  may be DX territory for some of you... I've been a Tech for a about 18 mos,
                  studying for my General.

                  -Ivan Hazelton
                  KL2UG

                  On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 06:27, Dennis <k1ypp@...> wrote:

                  > Good Day Aaron, N9ANE and Dick, KD0CGS:
                  > ....snip...
                  >

                  > Oh, I'll be at the Dayton Hamvention this year and do my AT presentation
                  > on Sunday morning (May 22) at 10:30. Stop by if you're attending the
                  > convention. Spread the word, I'd love to have a full house. Forums:
                  > <http://www.hamvention.org/files/2011ForumSched.pdf>
                  > 73
                  > Dennis, K1YPP

                • Aaron Eidt
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 1 8:40 PM
                    Ok great well good luck getting your general

                    N4ANE
                    Aaron