Appalachian Trail adventure book by hammock-hanging hiker...

  • Dennis
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 30, 2011
      In the book, Three Hundred Zeroes, I made a number of plugs for using a
      hammock on the AT. Today Amazon.com plugged the book in a mass mailing.
      Maybe we'll see new hammock hangers as a result of it. I've had a
      number of readers write me to tell me they've gone off to get their ham
      radio licenses as a result of reading the book, I haven't had anyone
      indicate they decided on a hammock because of it.
      Today Amazon.com <http://tinyurl.com/248ymjg> sent out a mass emailing
      recommending THREE HUNDRED ZEROES <http://blog.threehundredzeroes.com/>
      as a travel adventure read. If you enjoy non-fiction adventure, check it
      out.
      Dennis Blanchard
      Author of: Three Hundred Zeroes: <http://tinyurl.com/2f74mdt> Lessons
      of the Heart on the Appalachian Trail

      A non-fiction adventure travel story on the Appalachian Trail

      Finalist in the 2010 Next Generation Indie Book Awards Contest
      Available on Amazon.com, <http://tinyurl.com/248ymjg> Smashwords
      <http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/34135?ref=k1ypp> and Kindle
      <http://tinyurl.com/2cvecyg> .

    • Jerry Goller
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 30, 2011
        I suspect that you and Evelyn Sommers won't be dating anytime soon.....
        ;o)

        Jerry

        http://www.backpackgeartest.org/: the most comprehensive interactive gear
        reviews on the planet.

        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 31, 2011
          > I suspect that you and Evelyn Sommers won't be dating anytime soon....

          I suspect Jane, the love of my life, would frown upon that! [B-)]

        • Aaron Eidt
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 31, 2011
            Hmmm you said Ham radio well I am a general class operator so if any people are
            interested in it let me know

            N4ANE thats my call
            Aaron

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 31, 2011
              hadn't tried taking an ham radio with while camping in the BWCA. but I do hang
              Dick Dahlen kd0cgs

              "the winner ain't the one with the fastest car its the one who refuses to lose" Dale Earnhardt

              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 31, 2011
                If any one is interested in getting there license let me know I will help who
                ever wants it

                N4ANE
                Aaron

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 1, 2011
                  Good Day Aaron, N9ANE and Dick, KD0CGS:
                  Seems to be a disproportionate number of hammock hangers that are hams,
                  not quite certain why? When I wrote the book it was my intention to give
                  just enough info about ham radio so that it might spark interest in a
                  few readers...that has certainly been the case.
                  Hiking and ham radio go well together. I was able to communicate over
                  the entire length of the trail, and using Morse code, was able to lay in
                  my hammock with headphones on and using my hand to send the code, the
                  other hikers were not even aware that I was using a radio. This, in
                  contrast to cell phones where I usually had to leave the immediate area
                  so as not to distract others.
                  Interestingly, the book is about my hike of the AT, and having heart
                  surgery right in the middle of the hike, yet if you look at the various
                  tags for the book on amazon.com, it ranks as the most popular amateur
                  radio book at the moment: Ham Tags <http://tinyurl.com/3jq49q5>
                  Even though I did take 300 days off for the heart surgery (six-artery
                  bypass), I feel I have braggin' rights: I finished, Bill Bryson didn't!
                  In the book I emphasized how happy I was with my hammock on the hike. To
                  me, it had so many advantages over a tent. I didn't even carry a roll-up
                  sleeping pad. On a few occasions I even purposely hung it over places
                  that a tent would prove impossible: a stream, a pile of logs and a
                  boulder. I had fun with it.
                  Oh, I'll be at the Dayton Hamvention this year and do my AT presentation
                  on Sunday morning (May 22) at 10:30. Stop by if you're attending the
                  convention. Spread the word, I'd love to have a full house. Forums:
                  <http://www.hamvention.org/files/2011ForumSched.pdf>
                  73
                  Dennis, K1YPP
                  Author of: Three Hundred Zeroes: <http://tinyurl.com/2f74mdt> Lessons
                  of the Heart on the Appalachian Trail

                  A non-fiction adventure travel story on the Appalachian Trail

                  Finalist in the 2010 Next Generation Indie Book Awards Contest

                  Available on Amazon.com, <http://tinyurl.com/248ymjg> Smashwords
                  <http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/34135?ref=k1ypp> and Kindle
                  <http://tinyurl.com/2cvecyg> .

                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Dick Dahlen" <ddahlen@...>
                  Camping] Appalachian Trail adventure book by hammock-hanging hiker...
                  > Hmmm you said Ham radio well I am a general class operator so if any
                  people are > interested in it let me know > > N4ANE thats my call >
                  Aaron...

                • P-A
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 1, 2011
                    Well done and good luck at Dayton de se4a/sm4inv

                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis" <k1ypp@...> wrote:

                    > Good Day Aaron, N9ANE and Dick, KD0CGS:
                    > Seems to be a disproportionate number of hammock hangers that are hams,
                    > not quite certain why? When I wrote the book it was my intention to give
                    > just enough info about ham radio so that it might spark interest in a
                    > few readers...that has certainly been the case.
                    > Hiking and ham radio go well together. I was able to communicate over
                    > the entire length of the trail, and using Morse code, was able to lay in
                    > my hammock with headphones on and using my hand to send the code, the
                    > other hikers were not even aware that I was using a radio. This, in
                    > contrast to cell phones where I usually had to leave the immediate area
                    > so as not to distract others.
                    > Interestingly, the book is about my hike of the AT, and having heart
                    > surgery right in the middle of the hike, yet if you look at the various
                    > tags for the book on amazon.com, it ranks as the most popular amateur
                    > radio book at the moment: Ham Tags <http://tinyurl.com/3jq49q5>
                    > Even though I did take 300 days off for the heart surgery (six-artery
                    > bypass), I feel I have braggin' rights: I finished, Bill Bryson didn't!
                    > In the book I emphasized how happy I was with my hammock on the hike. To
                    > me, it had so many advantages over a tent. I didn't even carry a roll-up
                    > sleeping pad. On a few occasions I even purposely hung it over places
                    > that a tent would prove impossible: a stream, a pile of logs and a
                    > boulder. I had fun with it.
                    > Oh, I'll be at the Dayton Hamvention this year and do my AT presentation
                    > on Sunday morning (May 22) at 10:30. Stop by if you're attending the
                    > convention. Spread the word, I'd love to have a full house. Forums:
                    > <http://www.hamvention.org/files/2011ForumSched.pdf>
                    > 73
                    > Dennis, K1YPP
                    > Author of: Three Hundred Zeroes: <http://tinyurl.com/2f74mdt> Lessons
                    > of the Heart on the Appalachian Trail
                    >
                    > A non-fiction adventure travel story on the Appalachian Trail
                    >
                    > Finalist in the 2010 Next Generation Indie Book Awards Contest
                    >
                    > Available on Amazon.com, <http://tinyurl.com/248ymjg> Smashwords
                    > <http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/34135?ref=k1ypp> and Kindle
                    > <http://tinyurl.com/2cvecyg> .
                    >

                    > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Dick Dahlen" <ddahlen@>

                  • Aaron Eidt

                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 1, 2011
                        Ok you got my call wrong it has a 4 in it and not a 9 but no problem I am hoping
                        to go this year but I dont know me and a couple of friends are trying to put
                        some money for fuel and hotel so that we can go

                        N4ANE
                        Aaron

                        ________________________________

                        Camping] Appalachian Trail adventure book by hammock-hanging hiker...
                        > Hmmm you said Ham radio well I am a general class operator so if any
                        people are > interested in it let me know > > N4ANE thats my call >
                        Aaron...

                      • Ivan Hazelton
                        Message 11 of 12 , Apr 1, 2011
                          Just thought I'd throw in my $0.02 to the conversation...from Alaska, which
                          may be DX territory for some of you... I've been a Tech for a about 18 mos,
                          studying for my General.

                          -Ivan Hazelton
                          KL2UG

                          On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 06:27, Dennis <k1ypp@...> wrote:

                          > Good Day Aaron, N9ANE and Dick, KD0CGS:
                          > ....snip...
                          >

                          > Oh, I'll be at the Dayton Hamvention this year and do my AT presentation
                          > on Sunday morning (May 22) at 10:30. Stop by if you're attending the
                          > convention. Spread the word, I'd love to have a full house. Forums:
                          > <http://www.hamvention.org/files/2011ForumSched.pdf>
                          > 73
                          > Dennis, K1YPP

                        • Aaron Eidt
                          Message 12 of 12 , Apr 1, 2011
                            Ok great well good luck getting your general

                            N4ANE
                            Aaron