the little dog

  • Rosaleen Sullivan
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 9, 2011
      Hi, Guys-

      I missed this post earlier.

      Let me start with while I've slept in a hammock as I've backpacked for over 10 years, I have never owned a dog, so my comments are from observations of others with their dogs.

      Wet and muddy: If I've gotten wet and muddy, I will clean up and get as dry as I can before getting into my sleeping gear. A dog has limits to what s/he can do in this regard. I could roll down a hill in the rain and will get off the dirt before getting anywhere near my nice down sleeping bag. Getting it wet or dirty could compromise my safety too much. If I get my hammock wet and dirty, my bag will follow suit. A piece of Tyvek on the ground, below your hammock, might give Fido a sheltered dry spot for sleeping near you when s/he's messy. With the side-zip, you may be able to reach down and pet him easily, if the bugs aren't too bad. You may hae to hang your hammock lower to make this work, no big deal.

      Ticks are a big problem in many parts of the country. My dog-owner friends pull more ticks off of themselves from proximity to their dogs in one night than I have in my life. You've heard the bit about lieing down with dogs and getting up with fleas. Think ticks, too. If you take your dog on the trail, I hope you are religious with your gear about using permethrin and protecting yourself and your dog as much as possible with appropriate anti-tick solutions.small

      A Yorkie on the trail? Isn't he a small dog? Please keep him/her leashed. Not so much for the rest of us, but for the dog's safety. A pet that samll may be easy prey for coyotes and other predators. A friend with a small dog, maybe a Chihuaha, has seen hawks circling too close for comfort while letting the dog exercise in his back yard! Other friends are losing cats and small dogs from their backyards to coyotes. Seriously!

      The zipper-model may be easier for juggling your pet in and out of the hammock, but his/her nails may go through the bug netting or even the bottom. This can happen in a tent, as well. Just be aware that enclosure in a nylon tent, on the ground or flying (hammock) is not a guarantee that your pet is confined. Also, if your dwelling is damaged by any animal's claws, repair is likley to be "on you." I don't know any manufacturer whose warranty covers that. A thick foam pad under the dog might help with the bottom but can't help with the net.

      All that said, I've seen some wonderful trail dogs who share great joy with their masters and have given even non-owners some happy times. I truly hope you can make things work for you as you hike. Just be aware of the pitfalls. I've outlined a very few.

      Good luck!

      Rosaleen

      On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 6:27 PM, PERRY <churchillperry@...> wrote:

      > Does anyone in this sleep with their dog in the Hammock. I know it's kind
      > of a DUMB question but I'm trying to figure out which hammock to get that is
      > big enough for me and my Yorkie.
      > Perry

    • Aaron
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 9, 2011
        I have a yellow lab that I been hammock traveling with for 4-5 year now. He sleeps under the hammock but ontop of my hammock sleeve, so we both are in a cacoon of warmth together. While still leashed to the head end of my hammock tie, he comes and goes as he pleases(to guard the fort) and I know moreso when he does because he is connected to the hammock..waking me before he sounds an audible bark. They also double down there as a hobo heater cause thier heat rises! There's video of it on YouTube called "homefree hammock" or you can click http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmYdCrvZJNM
      • EHamilton
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 9, 2011
          That's an innovative solution to the warmth-under-the-hammock problem: Hang it
          low and park a large dog under it. I like it!

          MacGyver

          ________________________________
          From: Aaron spreadthelove777@...

          I have a yellow lab that I been hammock traveling with for 4-5 year now. He
          sleeps under the hammock but ontop of my hammock sleeve, so we both are in a
          cacoon of warmth together.

        • PERRY CHURCHILL
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 9, 2011
            Thanks for all your comments.
            I did try a night with the little dog in a $15 Grand Trunk Ultralight hammock.
            it was ok but the cheap hammock seemed a little small. The dog pretty much slept
            on my stomach or snuggled next to my chest. This was ok but I kept waking up to
            be sure he was alright. I was thinking maybe a better hammock would work better.
            Have been considering a Lawson?? We have camped together in a tent or in the
            back of the car several times and that worked out fine.
            In answer to other concerns:
            The little dog is always in a harness and on a leash.
            I use a Selk sleeping bag (the kind with arms and legs) so I don't have to get
            out of the bag to get out of the hammock.
            The little dog wraps up in or sleeps on a very small down comforter.
            The dirty dog issue is pretty easy to solve with a towel when the dog only
            weights 9# and he is not in my sleeping bag.
            Ticks; I use advantage monthly No fleas or ticks as of yet. We are in the woods
            or desert weekly for the past 3 years, in areas prone to ticks.
            Perry & Winston

            From: Aaron spreadthelove777@...