Re: [Hammock Camping] The Little Dog

  • Carey Parks
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 17, 2011
      See what others say, but I don't think it matters which hammock you get. The
      dog will be on top of your belly regardless.

      Another consideration is do you want the dog to escape without you? A
      hammock with attached bug screen might be a good thing if you want to keep
      the pooch in. I doubt it would jump out regardless tho.

      Be sure you get in first!

      Carey

      --
      http://parkswhistles.com/
      http://www.facebook.com/carey.parks

    • nogrhi
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 18, 2011
        I have to agree with Carey about the mesh and the dog on the belly. My additional two cents would be:

        Worry less about size and more about entry / egress method. My Hennessy Ultralight is a great sleep but I would imagine that the bottom entry might be challenging while juggling a dog. I haven't tried it though so it is just a thought experiment at this point.

        Darin

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Carey Parks <Carey@...> wrote:

        > See what others say, but I don't think it matters which hammock you get. The
        > dog will be on top of your belly regardless.
        >
        > Another consideration is do you want the dog to escape without you? A
        > hammock with attached bug screen might be a good thing if you want to keep
        > the pooch in. I doubt it would jump out regardless tho.
        >
        > Be sure you get in first!
        >

        > Carey
        >
        > On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 6:27 PM, PERRY <churchillperry@...> wrote:
        >

        > > Does anyone in this sleep with their dog in the Hammock. I know it's kind
        > > of a DUMB question but I'm trying to figure out which hammock to get that is
        > > big enough for me and my Yorkie.
        > > Perry
        > >

        > --
        > http://parkswhistles.com/
        > http://www.facebook.com/carey.parks
        > http://twitter.com/LuthierCarey

      • sheila marriner
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 7, 2011
          I sleep with my small dog in my hammock.  He weighs about 13 pds.  I have the Hennessy explora A-Sym side zipper and he generally curls up beside my legs or belly.  After a day of hiking he isn't interested in going to far and ready to sleep and rest.  This hammock you lay on an angle so fairly flat when settled and my dog just snuggles down near my feet.  If I'm on my side he curls behind my knees or against my belly,  when on my back he just lays beside me.  On the rare occasion he needs to go out after we're settled I can lift him out the side zipper to ground and he'll come sit beside the hammock and whimmer to come back in.  I can then lean out and lift him back in with me.

          Hope this helps.

          --
          http://parkswhistles.com/
          http://www.facebook.com/carey.parks
          http://twitter.com/LuthierCarey

        • Rogene Calkins
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 8, 2011
            There was a discussion on this sight I think a few months ago where someone
            made a hammock sling attached under his hammock for a larger dog but a
            Yorkie can snuggle up with you I would think as long as you keep the nails
            trimmed short to prevent scratching up the fabric. If the dog is muddy? or
            dirty and there's no water to rise it off I can't see myself allowing it
            to sleep with me.

            Rogene
            .

            --
            http://parkswhistles.com/
            http://www.facebook.com/carey.parks
            http://twitter.com/LuthierCarey

          • Ralph Oborn
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 8, 2011
              If the dog is muddy? or
              > dirty and there's no water to rise it off I can't see myself allowing it
              > to sleep with me.
              >
              > Rogene

              If the dog is muddy and dirty, then I am probably also muddy and dirty :]

              Ralph
            • Ratsmouth
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 8, 2011
                LOL! When I'm muddy and dirty *I* don't want to sleep with me! And a
                wet dog (even a clean, wet dog) snuggling next to me is something I'd
                try to avoid. Both my dogs sleep with me, but only if everybody's dry.
                I can deal with stink, but wet stink is hard to love. OTOH, if I'm
                tired enough, I can sleep anywhere, with anything. Haven't tried
                inviting my Beagle into the hammock yet. There might be a bit of a
                learning curve there for both of us.

                Ratty

                > dirty and there's no water to rise it off I can't see myself
                allowing it
                > to sleep with me.
                >
                > Rogene

                If the dog is muddy and dirty, then I am probably also muddy and dirty
                :]

                Ralph