Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: LuxuryLite UltraLite Cot ?

  • Ralph Oborn
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 6, 2011
      Hmmm would some long straps or amsteel rope help you to find more
      available trees?

      Just thinkin...

      Ralph

      On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 8:15 PM, EHamilton <imagainst_the_wind@...> wrote:
      > Ralph Oborn <Ralph.oborn@...> wrote:
      >
      >>As long as you are below the timberline, it is a lot easier to find trees
      > than flat spots. :]
      >>Hammock hangers sleep cool, you will have cold air under you. I put a
      > thermarest under me.
      >
      > I guess I'm the only one who's had trouble finding places to hang. I took my
      > Hennessy on a 4-night trip (Maryland section of AT) and it was hard to find
      > trees the right size and right distance apart with no trees or saplings too
      > close to the sides and no briars or bushes underneath where the hammock would
      > hang. You've got to have exactly the right space even though it doesn't have to
      > be flat ground.
      >
      > I, too, sleep with a Thermarest in the hammock. I bought it with a full
      > undercover/underpad system but I find it really cumbersome, hard to set up, and
      > not that effective. Surprisingly, even though I "sleep cold," I was warm
      > enough down to about 50* F, and only slightly chilly in mid-40's, with the TR
      > under me and my 20* down bag fluffed all around me as a quilt (wearing extra
      > clothes.) However, when we knew it was going down to about freezing, I didn't
      > try, slept in the shelter. What a difference between the hard floor and the
      > hammock, ouch. The hammock is extremely comfortable, better than my bed.
      >
      > However............ I do find it a pain to find the right hanging trees. Also,
      > the hammock + the rainfly add up to more than some of the lightweight tents I'm
      > interested in, and the Thermarest is heavier than the Big Agnes Thermacore I'd
      > take if I were using a tent. And there are so many long strings (although I've
      > learned to wind them up over my fingers and secure w/ rubber band for carrying.)
      > I am still very much on the fence about tent vs. hammock (even vs. tarp only.)
      > There's not much room in there at all.... if stranded somewhere for a few
      > days by injury, illness, or weather it would be very confining, I think.
      >

      > MacGyver
      >

      > Finding places to hang:
      >
      > I live in Idaho surrounded by Natl Forest, there are always places to hang.
      > As I explained to a skeptical scout dad: "I get to choose where we camp, and
      > where I choose there will be trees.
      > But there might not be a flat spot for your tent.
      > As long as you are below the timberline, it is a lot easier to find trees
      > than flat spots. :]
      >
      > Warmth:
      > Hammock hangers sleep cool, you will have cold air under you. I put a
      > thermarest under me.
      > Other more inventive folks use underquilts and top quilts.

    • EHamilton
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 7, 2011
        Maybe long straps. That's a good thought. As for amsteel..... not being
        experienced with hammocks and ropes and hangs I'm not sure what it is. Changing
        my ropes and lines scares me when I don't know what I'm doing. I'm really a
        newbie at this.

        MacGyver

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 7, 2011
          On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 8:26 AM, EHamilton <imagainst_the_wind@...> wrote:
          > Maybe long straps. That's a good thought. As for amsteel..... not being
          > experienced with hammocks and ropes and hangs I'm not sure what it is. Changing
          > my ropes and lines scares me when I don't know what I'm doing. I'm really a
          > newbie at this.
          >
          > MacGyver

          Careful, they will make you turn in your duct tape.... :]

          Amsteel is a super rope that is ultra light weight, google it.

          Or get some of the Mule tape that was offered here.
          A couple of 20 foot lengths with loops tied or sewed into each end.
          (use a water knot or a double double figure eight)

          Wrap around trees as needed to get the spread needed then tie your
          hammock to the straps or Amsteel with a hefty knot or 'biner. No
          modification of the hammock.

          While you are at it look up whoopie sling for an instantly infinitely
          adjustable hanging system.

          Hang tuff, hang tight

          Ralph
        • EHamilton
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 7, 2011
            Thanks, Ralph. I'll look it up.

            My moniker was bestowed on me for my proclivity for making things out of trash,
            not for any knowledge of already-existing technology :-)

            MacGyver